A nostalgic return for Luna Park Sydney

Luna Park Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Jobius

A nostalgic return for Luna Park Sydney

Post by Jobius »

On the 28th of November Luna Park Sydney will be welcoming an old favourite back from the past. The original Mirror maze will be making a welcome return to Luna Park's Coney Island
This from the official website
Do you remember when platform shoes, flares and big hair were in? Thankfully, they no longer are, but one of the big fashions from that era, Luna Park’s Mirror Maze, is back! It is the first time the mirror maze has been seen at Luna Park in decades.

Children, parents and grandparents will lose their way and end up in fits of laughter as they get confused and dazed in their own reflections, trying to get out.

"It’s great to have one of the most nostalgic Luna Park attractions return. The mirror maze will be just as popular with children today as it was some 20 years ago and it will take us big kids on a trip down memory lane”, said Jeremy Nance, Marketing Manager for Luna Park.

The new beautifully handcrafted maze mirrors the layout and design of the original. It will be a permanent installation inside the historic treasure trove and living museum of Coney Island and will complement existing favourites such as the Giant Slides, Barrels of Fun and the Turkey Trot.
I think this will be a fantastic addition to the historical features of Coney Island-AS LONG as nothing inside is altered beyond the original aspect. Apparently it will be at the back of Coney Island which does have ample room to accomadate this attraction.
I think this is a good move and proves that Luna Park are not above to looking backward at its own legacy to help restore its future!!! Now bring back the River Caves and there will be much rejoicing!!!

Comments?
Cheers
Jobius
princess

Re: A nostalgic return for Luna Park Sydney

Post by princess »

I always loved the river caves, it was gentle and cool inside, you would have a brief respite from the noise and heat. Yes bring it back. Am I the only one one here that has actually has been on this? :wink:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I'll be there in the holidays so i'll be able to check it out. Was the River Caves like a flat dark flume type ride?
princess

Post by princess »

It just meandered around from scene to scene, jungle theme to snow theme etc, old wooden boats, that just flowed with the current, but no drops.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Ah yeh, sounded like a nice relaxing kind of ride. Thanks princess
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Hey Princess,

Well Iguess I also fit into the "Senior Citizen" category a bit, and have vivid memories of the River Caves at Luna Park in Melbourne,,,

I fondly remember having the Sunday Roast with my grandparents in Elwood (a suburb right next door to StKilda), then my Pop taking me to Luna Park and riding the Whip, River Caves and having fun in the Giggle Palace (Melbourne's equivalent to Sydney's Coney Isand).

So - the mention of the River Caves made me "Google" a bit - as a result, I found some REALLY cool pics which I hope everyone enjoys - some great shots of the the changing Luna Park face over the years, the Big Dipper (where it used to fit in the park), and my fave - a shot of the Rive Caves entrance in the 1920s -dont you just love the attendant uniforms??? (I still remember these unifroms from the 70s,,,,)

Anyway - Lindsay Fox who bought LPM a few years ago, said he would try and re-establish a few of the old rides, including The River Caves - I guess we'll wait and see what happens,,,,

Anyway the link: http://forum.melbournephotos.net.au/vie ... 8978d8ec56

Enjoy,

Jaffa23
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks for that Jaffa, lol, (not quite a senior Citizen :lol:) I still think the Sydney face is the better of the two, I always think the Victorian one looks angry.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Maybe the LPM Face looks angry because I wasn't able to grace it with my presence yesterday because of the weather.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Thats a bummer - sorry to hear about the non-visit to LPM - typical Melbourne weather.

Hopefully you'll get a chance at a later stage,,,,

Jaffa23