'Ranger' to be replaced

Luna Park Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Zamperla
Administrator

Re: 'Ranger' to be replaced

Post by Zamperla »

I like the cartoonish moon with the telescope in the eye - it would be impossible to look any worse than that rainbow?!

They could have done a digital print of this image but I'm sure it would've got a few too many 'WTF' comments from riders. lol
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

Zamperla wrote:I like the cartoonish moon with the telescope in the eye - it would be impossible to look any worse than that rainbow?!

They could have done a digital print of this image but I'm sure it would've got a few too many 'WTF' comments from riders. lol
lol..Exactly Zamperla!! I posted this exact image on Parkz!! You can definitley see where the LPS motif got its inspiration from!! :D
Anyway...its great news that Ranger will be up and running sooner than expected. Also Waveswinger is there until at least March next year,if I am mistaken. This does not leave an awful lot of room, I cannot help but wonder if this will curtail the annual temporary Xmas rides that are at the park for the holiday season. :cry: I hope not as these are usually good value. I visit LPS every january with my kids for this event and I am really looking forward to this years lineup. I do hope that it will be a little different this year...LPS has had Pirates 2 years running which has been fantastic but a little more diversity is desired. Personally I would love it if Crazy Coaster would land their for the holiday season. LPS needs 2 coasters again and this would be a great coup!! :o This would leave room near the Crystal Palace for another ride and also a spot on the slab near Tumblebug. It would be ideal if Crazy Coaster could be placed up near Tumblebug, but I am not sure if the logistics of doing so is feasible!!?? It would certainly fit..anyone help with info on the possibilty for this scenario?? This would leave the space open in Maloney's Corner for Pirates and maybe Megadrop to return near the Crystal palace site. This would be an awesome lineup with 3 great additions plus Waveswinger. I am sure it would be a great success!!
Oh well, I can only speculate!!!
Cheers
Jobius
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

really is a shame that whoever created the cartoon moon, made it look ridiculous, many people will look at it and think... ummm wtf is in its eye!
they could have had writing on the backwall.. "RANGER A TRIP TO THE MOON" or something a bit more interesting.... either way, lets hope the ride runs much faster, and stops at the top.... it felt pretty good when I rode it in 2009

and BTW Jobius... all i was saying is that the CONCEPT was cool... i probably could have drawn a better image in 5 minutes.... it just looks a bit tacky, regardless of the fact that the image is nostalgic!
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

HUSSRAINBOW wrote:really is a shame that whoever created the cartoon moon, made it look ridiculous, many people will look at it and think... ummm wtf is in its eye!
they could have had writing on the backwall.. "RANGER A TRIP TO THE MOON" or something a bit more interesting.... either way, lets hope the ride runs much faster, and stops at the top.... it felt pretty good when I rode it in 2009

and BTW Jobius... all i was saying is that the CONCEPT was cool... i probably could have drawn a better image in 5 minutes.... it just looks a bit tacky, regardless of the fact that the image is nostalgic!
Huss, really!! You would have to be a complete moron to look at that image and not know thats the moon and that is a telescope in his eye.Even my four year old son immediately looked at it and said "Dadda, the moon has a telescope in his eye!! He liked it and that sits pretty well with me!!
I do agree that maybe some wording could help complete the effect..but to call it tacky?? I think that is way too harsh!!.I feel that they have captured the nostalgia of the image perfectly for the park's purposes!! I hope it is used throughout the park as well!!
And yes lets hope that Ranger does indeed enjoy a complete overhaul and not just a cosmetic one......the last time I rode it in January it did feel like it surely needed it!!

Cheers
Jobius
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

sorry, didnt mean to come across that way....
Ranger is such an amazing classic ride... wish it had all the complete decking and scenery
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

The Ranger has been added back into the ride lineup list on the LPS website. It appears the backdrop is now much more than just scenery as their has been a name change to "Moon Ranger" . Well, it is an attempt at some semblance of themeing!!
It appears it will be up and running for the upcoming school holidays.
Also the website is running a competition for free tickets to John Farnham at The Big Top for LPS 75th anniversary, and also includes megapass giveaways.Entry is on the site..check it out- it looks very good!!

I would really love to see a whole new ride that hearkens back to LPS's heyday be introduced in time for LPS 75th birthday-maybe the park have a few more surprises up their sleeve. Time will tell!! :D

Cheers
Jobius
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Moon Ranger.... stupid name. Not doing the ride any better favours. Should just be kept as Ranger
princess

Post by princess »

Luna Park is looking much better at night now, great to see the rides spinning around across the harbour all lights blazing, well done Luna Park, have you got someone in there different who understands how lights at night can pull in crowds, how about the clowns hair/hat does something eye catching.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

how is Ranger looking at night Princess?
princess

Post by princess »

Really good, red lights it is going every time I look at Luna park
Vee

Post by Vee »

haha, it's not a telescope

It's a rocket crashing into the man on the moon from one of/the first sci-fi movies
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

hopefully MOON is not added to the middle signage on the hub of the ride... highly doubt it will.. people will still see it as RANGER
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

my 2 cents worth
I think the image is at the back panel ok not fantastic though maybe when the carriage is out the way may look ok

but it a bit repetitive at on the front barriers
maybe every second panel may look ok
princess

Post by princess »

I did not want to seem like a moron, but I did not realize it was a telescope, do you think I could claim being blonde as my excuse???
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Blonde? you were correct in thinking it was NOT a telescope

here's the original movie of the rocket landing in the moon with an added soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndQ0FKa9 ... re=related
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

My apologies to all for my mistake. :D I of all people should have realised that it was actually a spaceship hanging out of the moon, since I first brought the link to the backdrop and to the 1902 movie "A Trip To the Moon" to everyones attention!! Oh well..we are all human!! :oops:
Top Gunner14 wrote:Moon Ranger.... stupid name. Not doing the ride any better favours. Should just be kept as Ranger

However this does make the motif's use that much stronger and ties in very nicely with the re-naming of the ride to "Moon Ranger" which settles in with the overall theme effectively. The name change I feel is actually a nice touch. It cleverly makes use of its original name and lends itself to tie in with the effect LPS are desiring, that being a "A Trip to the Moon". It just makes more sense and is one that the average ,everyday punter will easily recognise.

Cheers
Jobius :D
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Oh well what ever the name and what ever the backdrop long as after the rebuild it gives a fantastic ride
princess

Post by princess »

phewww I was waiting for the jokes to start, thank you Zamperla, what a lovely knight you are. :D
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

Does the Ranger occasionally travel to shows?
I'd like to see it racked up.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

i wish! wirttingslow used to travel it.... ran back to back with rainbow at rye in the early 90's.... what i'd give to see that again