Luna Park - Wooden Big Dipper

Luna Park Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Jaffa23

Luna Park - Wooden Big Dipper

Post by Jaffa23 »

Hey all,

Surfing the web, and came across some astounding old photos of Luna Park Melbourne, including some amazing shots of the old wooden Big Dipper (track, station, train, etc). Don't know if the person who owns this set is an AAF person, but congrats to them for posting these,,,,,

Take a look - http://www.flickr.com/photos/luna_park_melbourne/

Cheers,

Jaffa23
HUSSRAINBOW

Re: Luna Park - Wooden Big Dipper

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Cool photos.... LPM is a disgrace now... theyre better off closing the place again. There is nothing amazing about it, a part from the Scenic Railway, all their rides (except Enterprise) are pretty much junk, and it would be good if something good was put in. Luna Park Sydney isn't much better but then again, they do have Huss Rides.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Superb - to me, this is the find of the century. I never did get to see any detailed photos of the big dipper (which is an early figment of my imagination)

There was so much to the park back then. Demolishing the Big Dipper in 1989 really was a backwards turning point for the park.

If anyone can get in contact with the person who posted those photos (evidently someone who worked there) please let me know as I would like to get in touch with them.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Thanks Zamperla - I have been looking for years of shots of the Big Dipper with little luck - one of my life's biggest regrets I never rode it! These photos really give an insight into how the track was positioned at the park, and how "magic" the park used to be,,,,,

Jaffa23
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Zamperla to add,

If you have a Yahoo account, you can log into Flickr; see the Photograhers profile (luna.park25), and then send him or her a FlickrMail Message...

Good luck,

Jaffa23
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

thanks Jaffa, may do.

Likewise I remember riding the 'Sky Rider' (ferris wheel) right next to it, pointing at the screaming people as they went down the first dip (but too scared at the time to try it out for myself)