Luna Park Melbourne Youtube film

Luna Park Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Jobius

Luna Park Melbourne Youtube film

Post by Jobius »

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone has seen this film on Youtube about Luna Park. It is a 7 minute film that shows footage of the park from years past that I have never seen before, including the River Caves and The Big Dipper.
If you are a fan like me of Australia's Luna Parks and their history you will find this enjoyabl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELErh7LvfMM

Cheers
Jobius
Jobius

Re: Luna Park Melbourne Youtube film

Post by Jobius »

Having visited Luna Park Melbourne with my kids in the last week, I actually found it to be inferior to Luna Park Sydney, IMHO. LPM at the moment, is looking tired and rundown. Both Parks have their pros and cons, it is true,and they both have significant historical items,which should be preserved.
LPM is suffering from severe need of investment and it shows. LPS, having been redone in '95 and retouched in 2004, is a much cleaner and vibrant looking park.
I think the best thing to happen for LPM would be for it to follow a similar path to New York's Coney Island. Have a ride manufacturer like Zamperla take over management of the park, invest heavily in beautifying the park to its former glory, and utilise the park to star the company's attractions. Keep of course, the historical attractions such as Scenic Railway, The Ghost Train and The Carousel, whilst filling the rest of the park with attractions themed to LPM's history. This has been done to great effect in Coney Island and Zamperla have also taken over management of the Cyclone Rollercoaster, so they are skilled in operating historical attractions. This then would keep the best of the old, coupled with the new and exciting attractions.
Do you guys think that this model, having been very succesful in New York's Coney Island, work for Luna Park Melbourne?
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Jobius I thought I had commented on your original post when you first submitted it - that Youtube video is brilliant and has some very rare and fascinating video footage. Thanks for sharing it (and a big thumbs up to the person who put it online)

I agree LPM does need some investment and new rides - they've done well with their Coney drop tower - hopefully they'll have some new rides at least once a year. Not sure about Zamperla's management of Coney Island being a good thing - I'm a bit undecided. I couldn't see it happening here. North America is a huge market to them and a reason to showcase their designs - doing a similar deal in Australia may not appeal to them - we just dont have the population or themepark economy like USA. Just my opinion.
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

Zamperla if there was one person on this board who would have appreciated that LPM video, I knew it was you!! :D

You are probably correct in your assessment of Zamperla or another ride manufacturer taking over the park from a management persepective. It probably would not work in Australia. I think however, that it does appear to be succeeding in New York. I just read a very positive review from Theme Park Review, who did a tour there recently. They praised how the precint has been cleaned up and that investment is finally happening via Zamperla. As you said it probably wont happen, but it would be wonderful if it DID happen. LPM would gain the investment that it sorely needs, new rides would be introduced and LPM would be finally managed by someone who understands fun parks and their core business. Lets hope Lindsay Fox is taking note, as since he has been owner, nothing has been invested back into the park. My first priority would be to get rid of the Metropolis and install a new compact coaster. Zamperla, S&S Power and Maurer Sohne all have fine examples that would be perfect for LPM's footprint.
In saying that, LPS, whilst the better looking park of the 2, would also benefit from some re-investment of some new rides. They do have some room to play with in regards to footprint for permanent rides and let's face it: Maloneys Corner could do with a complete overhaul and proper theming to make it a more attractive part of the park. I know that in the past they have had problems with the residents, but that appears to have died down and I know that there are now legal limits on what action can be taken against Luna Park in regards to noise. Keeping that in mind, do you guys think that they could get serious about ride re-investment again?? Could they ever get another compact coaster?? IMHO this is certainly feasible and could quite easily co-exist with the surrounding residents.

I am also interested in your views on LPM versus LPS and the pros and cons of each. Which park is better as they both now stand?? What would you guys suggest to improve each park??
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

LPS need to sell RANGER and get it back on the road, it would do very well at the capitals
tziolasamusements

Post by tziolasamusements »

HUSSRAINBOW wrote:LPS need to sell RANGER and get it back on the road, it would do very well at the capitals
AGREE YOU BRO!
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

HUSSRAINBOW wrote:LPS need to sell RANGER and get it back on the road, it would do very well at the capitals

I suppose this I should not be surprised with this very predictable response from you Huss. :shock:
This doesnt actually answer any of the questions that I raised. I was looking more for some feedback and intelligent discussion on the issues that I have raised. Removing Ranger from LPS does NOT improve the park. The only way I would support this suggestion is if Ranger was replaced with something far superior. I would never sanction removing rides without improvement for either Luna Park's. As far as I am concerned Ranger is perfect in the position it currently resides!! :D

This does however raise a good point. I feel that one of the things that makes LPS superior to its brother in Melbourne is its collection of Huss rides. They are collectively, a far better ride lineup than what is currently being offered at LPM.
I must admit a soft spot for the Eyerly Spider though-you really dont see to many of these anymore-travelling or park models!!! However, the LPS ride lineup is still far more effective!! Only the fact that LPM has the Scenic Railway and historic Ghost Train does it even come close to being on a level playing field. Thoughts?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Luna Park Sydney may have a better collection of HUSS rides, thanks to Wittingslow, but it doesn't mean they have any idea whatsoever to do with them. Ridiculously themed (Spider...Really?) and pretty poorly maintained it's a shame that the park doesn't maybe take on some less maintenance needy rides. Both parks are lacking substantially in regards to maintenance and care. Ranger is in a joke of a spot and so is Breakdance, it just shows that the re-development was clearly not thought through properly. The big tent is a huge waste of space and honestly was not needed for the park.
Maybe improving both parks could start with a rethink as to how rides are set out and displayed. Melbourne needs to stop buying cheap ridiculous rides and replace them with classic and/or rides that are compact but offer big thrill (i.e XXXL or SPEED)
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

Excellent points Huss and I think something that can be implemented and enacted by both parks immediately.
LPS, in particular , does indeed suffer from poor ride layouts. As you say, not a lot of thought has gone into their placement. Actually, if the park rides positioning were re-evaluated and a new layout drawn up, then I think they may better utilise their existing space and free up some more areas for the installation of new attractions.
Spider was far better themed in the '95 incarnation and actually suited the name. Its naming also hearkened back to a famous ride from LPS yesteryear, much like Troika being named Tumblebug. However, the removal of key themeing from this time period to their current installation has cheapened and lessened both rides IMHO.
Good stuff.