Christmas Carnivals 2009/10

Public Forum
Top Gunner14

Re: Christmas Carnivals 2009/10

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Got down to Joyland's Carnival at Huskisson, in Jervis Bay on the NSW south coast. Had a good night there, was probably the busiest I've ever seen it as it was a Saturday night. Was good to see the Power Surge down at the carnival, was running well and has proven to be quite popular with holiday makers. Everything else seemed to be going well with a good value $20 wristband for unlimited rides for 3 hours. Here's a few carnival shots:

Cha Cha: I wasn't at the carnival for the whole night, was only there about an hour-hour and a half, so I missed out on riding this which is the first time as I usually always try to ride this. Was in another new position this year being in the centre of the carnival, not on the perimeter. Seemed to be running well, like the look of the old Better Amusement's Scrambler. Bright coloured cars with the lights etc. Shame I didn't get to ride, will make the effort next year.

Wild Chairs: Didn't ride this one either but was looking good as usual, eye-catching colours with the yellow and pink painted in the ride. Was popular with the kids and parents too. Also encounted a problem with one of the generators so this and the Dodgems were down for a short period of time, but was resolved and fixed quickly.

Dodgem Cars: Again another ride I didn't ride, was probably the most popular ride and who can blame it, as we all know definately the true crowd pleaser. Looking good, back banners painted with bright murals and the cars were looking good too. Like the music they always play on Joyland's track too, always have the country or classic rock music, nice change from all the dance music and general pop music (even though I'm right into the dance music).

Hurricane: Never miss out on riding the Hurricane, looking good as usual, with the paintwork and lighting. Had 2 rides over the night. Was running well, I never get why with Joyland's Hurri before they run the ride, they give the ride a few spins while the arms are still right down, if you saw in my video of the ride at LPS you would've noticed that. Will have to ask next time, but after that the ride takes off spinning for a good minute, then the bouncing. But the sounds of the shoots of compressed air are silented due to the houses around the area which is a bit of a bummer, taking away from that atmosphere of the ride. But still a good fun ride.

Power Surge: This was the first time the ride has been taken down to the chrissy carnival, after not being worked last summer holidays, Joyland's decided to take the ride down to Jervis Bay. And the ride has been proven to be a hit with people from around the area not ever seeing the ride (unless they've been to LPS in the holidays or RES). Ride was in the corner of the carnival backed onto the road, so there were a few heads turning when the ride was raised in the air. Had a few rides as usual, and must say the ride is much better to ride compared to it being at LPS. Had the music pumping, sound effects going, strobes and all the lights going. And in general as we all know, the ride looks fantastic. But as I said had a few rides and it feels alot more fun riding it anywhere else compared to LPS and especially at night the ride is better. Had a wild ride while I was doing the onride video, heaps of flipping and those few moments when you pass the arm and your stuck upside down. Good cycles aswell. Again to Myles, job well done

Round Up: Ahh the classic Joyland's Round Up, definately didn't miss out on riding this either. Had a few rides on this too. Looking well presented with the bright colours, weren't too many people riding which was a suprise. But good long cycles and making you that bit dizzy.

Giant Slide: Just got up on the slide to get a few photos and had 1 slide down :lol:

Anyway had a good night as I said, next year will try and ride everything. Was good to see George Melonas, Willi Wolter and Greg Bell. Well done to Joyland's again with their carnival. Also got 2 videos, both onrides of Power Surge and Hurricane, will upload them with the rest of the videos after I do my Bell's review

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I never get why with Joyland's Hurri before they run the ride, they give the ride a few spins while the arms are still right down
usually this is a sign of a good (safe) operator. A good ride op will never put a ride into its full cycle till they've done at least one 'jog' rotation, quick visual check of lapbars and riders. Also good for building up a bit of suspense and anticipation.

ps. Was Joylands Hurri 'silenced' or was it giving loud cracks of air? (the silence is the only thing I don't like about Joylands when I've seen it run at Sydney Luna)
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

great photos. I was just thinking how I always prefer the original names like Round Up name over themed names like Tornado. Still Bells Tornado does live it up its name in a way I guess hehe.
redhot

Post by redhot »

Great photos Topgunner.
Looking forward to seeing these vids you took.
Carny's built this country, the carnival part of it anyway..."Homer Simpson"

Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Ahh ok thanks Zamperla, was just curious because they're the only operators I've seen operate their Hurri in that way. It was silenced because of the residents around the park. They silence it there and at LPS. If you see it at a hire job or show, they have it loud, they turn it down some how
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Got timed out, not re-writing review, so just photos:

Cha Cha:

Dodgem Cars:

No Limit:

Music Trip:

Ski Jump:

Swinger:

Thunder Bolt:

Tornado:

Paratrooper:

Big Wheel:

Wipeout:

Had a good night down there, can never miss the carnival while I'm down there. Still good value at $30 for unlimited rides, yes it has gone up in the last few years but I still think its good value for holiday makers. Was also good to catch up with Elwin Snr and Owen Bell.

And sorry, been busy so videos will be up soon, have Thunderbolt onride, No Limit onride, Ski Jump and Wipeout

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Great photos. The general presentation and consistency of Bell's rides, trucks and games is second to none IMO.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Awesome photos as per always Topgunner!

WOW - SKI JUMP! Had no idea these still existed in OZ,,,takes me back 30 years,,,hell I'm showing my age!

Ski Jump was a staple ride around carnivals / fetes / shows in the 70s / 80s...thought they would all have been at Sims Metal for scrap by now.

Good on ya Bells to keep some great old rides in working order. Now for the Turbo......

Jaffa23
redhot

Post by redhot »

Jaffa23 wrote: Good on ya Bells to keep some great old rides in working order. Now for the Turbo......

Jaffa23
Absolutely!!! :)

Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

Thanks for the pics top gunner its a shame that Turbo is in pieces in Bells yard. Also I didn't know that bells had a wheel do they travel with it?
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

No don't think so, think that might be ran only at the bay aswell. Will ask next time, yeh who knows what will happen with Turbo :?
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

Terrific ride of No Limit Top Gunner, the video peaks at 2:15, and you did a great job of holding on to the camera through all that. Very Well Done!
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Video? where do I go to view it?

Bells Paratrooper really looks superb. It has the best designed deck I've seen on any we have here. Paratrooper decks always leave a bit to be desired IMO, the steps are awkward, a too steep and narrow. Bell's seem to have fixed this with a great re-design.

Bells characteristic Ferrari 'Mexican Hat' wheel, I've seen photos from the early 1970's where it was set up at EKKA but now days, as said, it is exclusively a Xmas carnival ride. (the only other of its type being Melbourne Luna Park's wheel)

As for the Turbo, I am confident of Bell's know-how. They will get there and make a success of it like it was 'back in the day', to a whole new generation of riders.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Haha thanks Superloop. Must be watching my youtube channel. Yeh its a great vid, I'm happy with it, sorry about the swearing too haha. I was gonna put up the links after I'd finished putting up onrides of Joyland's Power Surge and Hurricane
Tilt01

Post by Tilt01 »

Is there a Christmas carnival at Lakes Entrance? I remember seeing a large carnival in the main street about 20 years ago with Witts rides and a large ferris wheel.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Here's the videos I got from Bell's carnival. Think you will enjoy them especially seeing the classics operate. Here's the links:

No Limit onride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7Ynn9g8-k
Thunderbolt onride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS4xBhTiHdw
Wipeout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHAz2LhLEQI
Ski Jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLvejZ6C5Hg

Will upload the 2 videos I got from Joylands carnival soon.

Tell me what you think and enjoy

Cheers
Top Gunner14
redhot

Post by redhot »

Excellent!, thanks Topgunner.
Didn't realise that the ski jump went that fast. As for No Limit, i honestly don't know how you guys can ride it. That thing just looks violent :lol:

princess

Post by princess »

redhot wrote:That thing just looks violent
Thats why I love watching people ride it, it is just amazing. Note to RES organisers, please put a seat about the middle of the road, so as I can just sit there and watch it, maybe an umbrella would be good too. :wink:
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Great videos, you did not dissappoint TG

I really liked your Sky Jump one especially, since I've never seen it operate. Do you know anything about the history of it? Was it Oz built or US? I think the Eyerly Aircraft Company came out with the original design. That thing gets some speed. An obvious improvement would be to have 2 ramps opposite eachother instead of one, but thrillseekers of the 1950's were a bit different to today I guess. Ski Jump is in fantastic operating condition too, but Bells maintenance demands nothing less.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks guys yeh the old Ski Jump sure does pick up the pace, great ride and very popular down at Bell's carnival. Umm I think I'd rather the one jump, it's good going round on the track picking up speed and waiting to launch up that one ramp. Looking at an old family video, I think Bell's might not operate it as fast but it still gets some good speed. Umm I was talking to Elwin there it sounded like he said Everly but I'm guessing it was Eyerly. Not sure on any other History but I'll definately ask next time I see Bell's.

Anyway got 2 more videos from Joyland's carnival:

Power Surge onride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mqw_aMaNDQ
Hurricane onride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTh7rNmW_k

Sorry took so long to upload, enjoy people

Cheers
Top Gunner14
The Limit

Post by The Limit »

Hi zamperla I'm pretty sure our sky jump is built in the late 40s or early 50s and the paratrooper was built by hesco in Mildura to elwin snr design and was on beyound 2000 in it's day and is a good ride to work
princess

Post by princess »

When I think about the Ski Jump all I can remember is the thumping sound it would make, this ride was around where I was working, but I cannot remember who owned it, it would have been at an Ernie Short carnival in the 70's
Tilt01

Post by Tilt01 »

I think Browns had the Ski Jump at one stage.

Ernie Short thats a name from the past! Remember when there was a semi carnival circuit around the Sydney suburbs.
princess

Post by princess »

Sure do Tilt, I did them, Lakemba, Blakehurst, Sutherland, Brookvale, Coogee, Villawood, Three Swallows, Fairfield Beer Fest, these are the ones I remember just off the top of my head. :wink:
benclare

Post by benclare »

Wow Topgunner! Those onride videos were unbelievable! I'd love to do some onride recordings of my own this year at RES or Hawkesbury.

Also, Ski Jump sounds great; a pity it doesn't travel around the country!

Keep up the good work guys.