Vertigo Ride Incident

Public Forum
tooheyzz

Vertigo Ride Incident

Post by tooheyzz »

This ride operator was very lucky guess he wasn't more serously injured trying to prevent the rider getting injured

The Vertigo is manufactured by A.R.M. Inc. of Ohio

is the the same ride as our starflyer

Just a warning the video is rather full on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0di4mVqXt4
Ride operator, passenger injured at Maryland fair
(August 17, 2010) - At the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair in Gaithersburg, Maryland, a ride operator was struck by a rotating swing ride called Vertigo. He climbed over the metal fence that surrounded the ride and entered the path of the swings when he noticed that the swings were colliding with another section of the fence.

Witnesses said it appeared that the foot of at least one rider collided with the fence as the ride lowered back to the ground. The fence was then partially dragged into the path of the ride. Some swings collided as the fence became an obstacle and interfered with the normal rotation of the ride. One child who was on the ride suffered minor injuries when he collided with the fence.

A news crew from WTTG FOX 5 was on the scene filming for another news story and captured the accident on camera.

The Vertigo is manufactured by A.R.M. Inc. of Ohio and operated by Powers Great American Midways. It passed an inspection when the fair opened last week, but has been shut down as investigators work to determine what went wrong.

UPDATE: A spokesman for the fair said that the swings, which are designed to stop rotating once they are lowered inside the fenced-in loading area around the base of the ride, did not stop, causing the riders legs to collide with the fence.
Hurricane

Re: Vertigo Ride Incident

Post by Hurricane »

O____O HOLY CRAP! That is really quite a scary video to watch! I can't believe that it happened. But the news report states its a A.R.M model... our one is a Zamperla Model. So it's not identical unless there is something I don't know, such as the A.R.M being a exact clone of the Zamperla model.
princess

Post by princess »

"OUCH"
redhot

Post by redhot »

Yeah, bit of a headache after that i reckon.
Carny's built this country, the carnival part of it anyway..."Homer Simpson"

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I vaguely remember seeing a tarp around the ride at last years EKKA before they had the panelling they now have. And on the tarp it said "Zamperla"
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes the Sky Flyer is Zamperla. But I did hear that Zamperla marketed the ride and it was made by someone from Moser Rides.