Let's do something to bring back Rainbow

Public Forum
RexDragon

Let's do something to bring back Rainbow

Post by RexDragon »

I think the main reason and problem why our Rainbow isn't showing up is because more people are preferring the Ali Baba over Rainbow just because it's "safer". Well, I think it's time that we do something to bring back our favourite ride.

I'm not good at creating tactics, but here's some that I think should work.

1. Avoid riding the Ali Baba or variants of the Ali Baba and discourage other riders from riding it. The lesser people ride it, the better the chance it won't come back to our shows.
2. Organise and rally a group who will support our cause.
3. Send a complaint to the show organisers and/or amusement ride owners (namely OCS).

If you think it's not enough, then you can come up with guerilla tactics here. Some of the ideas you may have may be regarded as crime, but I think the show organisers and amusement ride owners are commiting the crime of depriving us of our favourite rides. To those who prefer the Ali Baba and think the Rainbow should be scrapped, DON'T comment on this thread. This is a pro-Rainbow and anti-Ali Baba thread. Others who won't speak ill of the Rainbow can comment.

The Rainbow is more than just a ride, it's a timeless classic and a piece of history that took part of taking the amusement industry by storm, and it should NEVER be replaced by cheap clones on account of the 2008 incident at Sweden. Only together can we spread the word and make the difference. If we can't get it back this year, let's hope we can for 2012.

HUSS RAINBOW FOREVER!

RexDragon
Hurricane

Re: Let's do something to bring back Rainbow

Post by Hurricane »

To be honest, this is NOT a good idea. Boycotting another ride because it is similar to a ride that has ceased operation is just childish. You along with probably everyone on these forums do not know why the Rainbow has not returned. However I can almost certainly assure you that it is not because the Ali Baba is more "Popular"

In the end it all comes down to the owner of the ride and weather or not he can be arsed to do something about it. I will keep my opinion about OCS to myself after having worked opposite them at shows before and I don't want to insult anyone with my opinions on the company (or at least the staff working for them)

And i've also stated in other threads what should be done to bring the Rainbow back, and that's really all that can be done and it's up to one person really.
RexDragon

Post by RexDragon »

Well, I did mention the incident at Sweden 2008, so I know it had something to do with our Rainbow being suspended, but I really feel that the suspension should not be permanent.

You can't even compare Ali Baba to the Rainbow.

I only hope they will finally realise how much many of us miss that ride.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

And it's been mentioned that there IS a fix available for the ride. And HUSS would not offer the fix if it did not think it was safe enough to operate.

And you can compare the Ali Baba to the Rainbow sadly, and the general public do compare it.

The ride is a similar height, looks similar and offers very much the same ride experience in a nutshell. Sadly this sort of thing happens all the time, and it's time people are realistic.

The ride has not shown up in 2 years (nearly 3), and there has been no news so it's fairly safe to say the ride has been retired. I'm also beginning to think the same for TURBO. I've heard nothing but rumor after rumor for the last 5 years, so I'll believe it when I see it. I hate to be blunt but this is just how I see it.

There is no motivation by OCS to bring the ride back, which has been made obvious otherwise we would see it. I've said it once and i've said it again, SELL THE RIDE TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO TRAVEL IT. I know at least 3 owners interested in the ride but not for the ridiculous price your trying to sell it for.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

I know this is a Rainbow thread, but it seems that Bell's ARE making progress with the Turbo:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 8890541931

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 8890541931

and the latest from Nearmap,,,(November 2010)

http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-35.345941,1 ... d=20101124 (where's Wally)

The Beast is UP!!

So after seeing Bell's care about their Ski Jump ride, I have no doubt Bell's will restore the Turbo to it's former glory.

Cheers,

Jaffa23
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Jaffa pretty sure that is actually the top of their Watkins Swinger, BUT they are indeed making progress on Turbo - those little round things everywhere are the cars (you can see the flat Turbo trailer further to the right)
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

That is indeed watkins swinger that is set up, but I can see the progress on TURBO is actually happening. Unlike Rainbow at this stage.
RexDragon

Post by RexDragon »

I doubt that OCS really cares about offering the best thrills for us riders. If they have, they would have done touchups on the Rainbow, which I find really funny because they did go through the trouble of fixing up rides like the FEAR tower coaster when it broke down, and I think their Kamikaze Ranger went through some problems to. I would like to know what's going on, cause it seems like a conspiracy to me.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I know exactly why, OCS doesn't think it's worth the money to fix it up obviously. You will find they fixed FEAR because it's a brand new attraction for them and they would want it working. That's all it comes down to I guess, it's no conspiracy just a business move made by OCS. Send it to March's, Durkin, Trindalls or Bell's and i'm sure they would get it working. I mean if the boys can replace a motor on the Cyber Party and have it testing 2 hours later... they can manage an overhaul of a ride!
RexDragon

Post by RexDragon »

Yep, bad move of OCS, but I guess they're just in it for the money, and not for providing the best thrills for all riders. :(

You forgot Watkins and Goldenways when you mentioned sending the Rainbow to another amusement owner.
PNC

Post by PNC »

of course they are in it for the money, why does anyone start a bussiness, not for practice thats for sure
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I think you hit the nail on the head PNC. At the end of the day, these are businesses, not charities. (unfortunate reality for the many passionate ride fanatics)
PNC

Post by PNC »

you also have to think that ocs may have given up the spot for rainbow at RES to get their new roller coaster on
princess

Post by princess »

PNC wrote:ocs may have given up the spot for rainbow at RES to get their new roller coaster on
Is it back on????
PNC

Post by PNC »

Not sure, but I would think so
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Wouldn't O'Neill's think anyway that the Rainbow has a bigger capacity, target audience, takes up less room and less time to set-up over that sh** coaster? They'd probably easily make more $$$ for themselves over that other big investment, especially when they've only worked it twice in just under a year? That'd clearly be a better investment/machine to work
PNC

Post by PNC »

rainbow is old, and the coaster is new and has a much bigger wow factor, and that gets bums in seats
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

^

When the ride is working you mean?
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Wow factor is no good if its not working.
Rainbow has a massive wow factor and in another few years if it came back would have a whole new following from the next generation of riders.
Take a look at Chants Rock and Roll, I look at it and go why would you its just a new Alpine and I think it runs so fast that it looses it action and prefer the older ones like Thunderbolt. The ride is doing ok at shows though because there are teenage kids that haven't really seen them or remember them from when they were smaller and couldn't ride it.
March's hurricane made it back on at the Ekka last year and did quiet well after a long absence. A new generation of riders and some who have it as a old favorite got to ride it again like me.
Sometime you just need to leave it in the shed for a couple of years to give it a new lease on life. If they think its new or havn't seen it before they will ride it.
I am sure that Turbo will be massively sucsessful when it makes it's return because most the kids wouldn't even know it existed.
PNC

Post by PNC »

of course when it is working, all new rides have teething issues, didnt see many people slandering marchs when sky walker broke down a few times (this is one of my favourite rides by the way) but when the new addition to the OCS line up breaks down it cops hell, the potential is there with FEAR, it has a short cycle and an easy load pattern., i have never seen fear so i cant comment much further, i have however seen and ridden rainbow and i dont see what all the fuss is, im sure it is an engineering marvel but that seems to be as far as it goes, and funderstruck is very right, in a few years and a clean up and it will do as good if not better then ever.

(for the record i dont know nor am i sticking up for OCS, just seems as though they cop alot of sh*t about how THEY decide to run THEIR business)
princess

Post by princess »

Nicely said PNC it is not our business, but clearly we have an opinion.

Fear broke down at Sydney not once but on numerous occasions, my thoughts about this at the time, is that it should have been tested before it was put up at the RES, this ride arrived from overseas and was put up without finding out about any teething problems, (did this happen with Halloween too) which unfortunately for O'Neills had them feature on all major news stations, plus adverse media coverage in most newspapers regarding safety of rides, which was all very over the top at the time. I was there during this, watching when all the needless drama unfolded fire brigades, ambulances, police and helicopters were all there the media were filming the rescue of the riders from the ride. By the way O'Neills were shut down before they could run their own rescue, which looked, imo much more simple than what occurred, this was a media circus, what was also interesting at the time, was that there was a great deal of attention before this incident happened to rider safety with other events being held at the same time and for the RES. Yes lets give fear another go before we bag it completely, it is an impressive looking ride, though Ben I believe did manage a review of Fear, from what I recall, he was not very impressed with.

Sorry for not quite being on topic, but you mentioning Fear bought this all up.
PNC

Post by PNC »

i think you are very on topic princess as this has seems to have turned into an OCS topic rather than a rainbow topic, and yes i recall the fear review and it was said that it was rough and a short cycle, i guess we will have to wait and see how it performs, i will probably never see it as it doesnt seem as though OCS are interested in ekka at all
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

It seems that alot of companies aren't so interested in EKKA anymore, Bells are a prime example of this and same with Durkin (Phill Durkin) as they both had 2 major rides on each year recently and now have none. It also seems like Joyland's are going the same way too by not taking Power Surge.
princess

Post by princess »

Ekka was way to expensive last year, they Ekka management are pricing the carnival out of the show imo
RexDragon

Post by RexDragon »

Well, at least we could see that it's not the fault of another ride for the absence of another, but more the fault of the amusement ride owners who don't seem to care about amusements and thrills anymore that caused the problem. If only those fat cats know what the hardcore riders are missing.