One killed, 8 injured on Hurricane in Brazil

Public Forum
Funderstruck

One killed, 8 injured on Hurricane in Brazil

Post by Funderstruck »

(August 13, 2011) - At the Glory Center amusement park outside Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, an amusement ride car flew off a ride and struck people who were standing in line around the ride. A 17-year-old girl who was in line to purchase tickets for the ride was killed, 2 people were hospitalized with serious cranial injuries, and 6 others were hospitalized with injuries that were less serious.
The ride, called Typhoon, rotates as its cars are lifted and lowered rapidly through the air.
Witnesses said that the car was loaded with as many as six passengers who were among the injured. The cars are designed for a maximum capacity of four passengers.

The owner of the park was arrested and charged with manslaughter. She claims that the ride passed a recent inspection.

http://noticias.r7.com/rio-de-janeiro/n ... 10814.html
tooheyzz

Re: One killed, 8 injured on Hurricane in Brazil

Post by tooheyzz »

Awful news
But must say the the condition of the car in the photo makes me think what the rest of the ride is like not sure i'd be riding this one

Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Idiots for filling the car with 6 people in the first place on a ride that looks pretty worn. Such a shame about the fatalities
benclare

Post by benclare »

I'm amazed six people actually fitted in one car! It's terrible how lives can be snuffed out in the blink of an eye.

The Hurricane is usually very safe and not much chance of incidents occurring I'd think. The only incident I can think of in Australia was back in 1999 when a passenger sustained severe head injuries when they collided with the trailer after they stood up during the ride cycle. This happened at the Glenworth Valley Music Festival near Sydney.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Ben I never knew about that one. Maybe this is why they were all upgraded to have 2 idiot-proof locks on the bar. Of all the rides to stand up on, Hurricane would have to be the worst desicion. lol
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Why is it I can see someone doing that in 5 - 10 years Dave? With the way society is heading these days it's only a matter of time before they actually glue you to the seat!
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

I think it won't be long till Hurricanes have to have over the shoulder restraints.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Last few years they've bought in that implication to have the seat dividers put in place, these were also installed on Cha Cha's aswell. That's all to stop people sitting parallel with the seat with their legs up, which is fair enough as the lap bar serves no kind of restraint then.

That's one thing I still always see too, get those young ones that like to stand up at the top of the bounce to get that extra bit of air and not knowing how easy it could be to come out, spastics. Especially on an aerial ride
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Zamperla wrote:Ben I never knew about that one. Maybe this is why they were all upgraded to have 2 idiot-proof locks on the bar. Of all the rides to stand up on, Hurricane would have to be the worst desicion. lol
Definately idiot proof, amazing how many people just look at it and think "wtf, how does this work" when they go to lock it themselves :lol:
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yes the last thing I am thinking of when riding the Hurricane is standing up during the cycle. I remember when Wonderland Sydney was open, anyone who disobeyed the safety advice was kicked out without a word. The car park was full of evectees on Saturday nights and the security guards were kept busy.