Newell highway truck crash

Public Forum
Hardrock

Newell highway truck crash

Post by Hardrock »

Found and article in todays local paper bout a Newell highway truck crash.
It said " The newell highway reopened to motorists early yesterday morning after a truck towing an
amusement ride overturned near Station Creek about 11pm on Thursday.
The 61-year old driver was taken to Coonabarabran Hospital and treated for head injuries following
the accident. He was reported to be in a stable condition."
Anyone no anything bout it or who it was ?
Hurricane

Re: Newell highway truck crash

Post by Hurricane »

The ride in question that was involved in the accident was TPA's Crazy Coaster. Due to the damage sustained during the crash it will no longer be doing Adelaide Show. I am unsure of just how bad the damage is just yet, but my thoughts and prayer's go out to the whole TPA family and staff involved in this accident.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I hope the driver and the ride both make a speedy recovery.

To make a positive out of this, it would be good to see Extreme or even Twin Flip replace it for Adelaide
princess

Post by princess »

This is a problem for all showmen, I remember seeing a caravan on the back of a tow truck, completly smashed due to high winds, also in the way to Adelaide show, that same trip the car I was travelling in was hit in the windshield with a rock completely shattering it, also putting our heads out of the windows to help us stay awake across the hay plains.

Drive safe, then again it's not always your fault, I am in no way downplaying this terrible accident, just trying to highlight, the difficulties of this profession. (This accident reminded me of that time)
Last edited by princess on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

If fatigue was an issue in that rollover, I'm surprisesd it happened so early in the night. I'm an overnight truckdriver and the worst
time to be on the road is between 3am and sunrise. In truckdriver terms he must of had a noddy.
Lets hope the driver makes a speedy recovery along with crazy coaster.
princess

Post by princess »

Hardrock, after travelling back from Qld last week, I had a great deal of trouble staying awake after lunch, had to phone a friend to talk it through, so does that ever prove a problem for you???
Last edited by princess on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

I find it easy to travel in a pack when your travelling long distance, theres always someone who wants to chat on the radio. Or
if not as you said princess phone a friend.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Such a shame this happened, the driver was a worker that has worked for Pickett's for a number of years, wasn't Tas Jnr or one of the family members. Apparently the damage was spread over 100 metres and was one of the b-doubles, pretty sure being the one that carries the top sign and curved sections of the track.

Hope the driver has a speedy recovery, for the coaster it's apparently going back to Pickett's farm and will be set-up to assess the damage, hopefully it's down to a minimum
benclare

Post by benclare »

No good at all!

I don't know how truck drivers stay awake for long distances, especially on main highways where the scenery can be dull and the trip boring. You have my respect!

I'm glad the driver is on the mend and I'm sure the Crazy Coaster will be fine too.