Work

Public Forum
Tayz

Work

Post by Tayz »

Hi
So i am contemplating whether to travel for like 6 months next year during my gab year but im not sure if its for me or not.
I would appreciate it if anyone could give me a insite onto what its like and whether you would recommend it or not.
Thanks guys.
Hurricane

Re: Work

Post by Hurricane »

Depends where your looking at going, if your looking at doing something like the north run in QLD expect to do 2 - 3 shows a week. The work involved is very hard work, involving LONG hours each day (9am - 11pm) alot of the time. As far as set up / pull down that can also be quite intensive work. I know for example Cyber Party takes 2 - 3 days of work with 4 people to pull down (containing over 30 backdrop pieces each weighing upwards of 60 - 70kg each).

So you'd need to be pretty strong / fit to do that. If you can handle working long hours under all sorts of conditions and quite strong and fit it would be good experience. It's lots of fun and I wouldn't trade the 3 years work I did in for the world, but expect to work very hard. What I might suggest is work a few shows first (ask around when setting up!) to see if it's what you want. Get in the good books with one particular company and it's very easy to get work again when you want it.

Also, don't always expect to get work on a major ride straight away. Often you'll end up starting work on a joint or childrens rides before working on a major ride. It took me 2 years of casual work in a joint before I even got to set foot working on a ride. Work hard though, save up as much of the money as you can (It's not that bad pay... about 500 p/w depending who you work for) and have fun!
Tayz

Post by Tayz »

Ok thanks for the reply.
So how to you do 3 shows a week?
Like what shows are on weekdays?
ALso how many days a week are you working
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Most shows are 1 or 2 days a week on the north run in smaller towns. So you could spend a day setting up, then a day or 2 working pull down at night, set up next day then show the day after.

It really can depend on each company, some weeks you might work 1 show a week... others you could do 2 - 3 a week. Also, it's a 7 day a week sort of job if you do travel. I havn't done the north run myself but I know many people that have and it's full on. I did travel for a month or 2 though in QLD doing 1 - 2 shows a week sort of thing though.
Tayz

Post by Tayz »

Ok thanks for the info mate.
Im not keen at all to work a joint so maybe this is not for me.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Tayz wrote:Ok thanks for the info mate.
Im not keen at all to work a joint so maybe this is not for me.
Well, you've gotta start somewhere I guess and work your way up. Don't underestimate how fun working a joint can be though... I had some great times in my little roller derby :D But you can always ask, you might get put on a ride first up.