PNC

Post by PNC »

i was just curious, i never heard of it before, just seems a little silly
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I agree, I think it's a stupid rule.
princess

Post by princess »

Now that hurricane has just about gone from our capitals, I would not think any capital would have a ride that old, but if there are I am sure someone here will let us know. (that would be besides dogem tracks)

Hurricanes must certainly be that old I can remember them making their appearance here in Australia, err that long ago .
Last edited by princess on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

The Hurricane debuted circa 1972, based off a ride called Saturn 6 from 1948(!) -amazing design and technology for that era.

90% of the Hurricanes we have in Australia were built here from this early date.
Last edited by Zamperla on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
princess

Post by princess »

I think I would have preferred you to say that was only 20 years ago, Zamperla lol, :D
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

PNC your Dominator is twice the ride the Avalanche will ever be.

Princess interesting theory, the Zipper would be older than 30years as would the Skymaster and a handful of other rides, but there's no doubt about a push for newer 'latest' attractions by capitals, purely for quick marketing opportunities.
benclare

Post by benclare »

The newer rides definitely draw the crowds into the capital shows as people who aren't carnival enthusiasts like ourselves go specifically for the thrills. I personally would like a mixture of old and new attractions as we have at Hawkesbury. At that show which I always praise, you could find No Limit and Speed operating next to an ancient Tilt or Hurricane and it's an excellent comparison, especially since the older attractions are usually in good nick and run better than ever, sometimes better than the new attractions!
Vee

Post by Vee »

princess wrote:I think I would have preferred you to say that was only 20 years ago, Zamperla lol, :D
Personal connection to one of those years? :wink:
PNC

Post by PNC »

thanks Zamperla

older rides need to earn there money at these shows, i think this might be a reason for there great upkeep and the way the ride is run, but as mentioned to stay on top of the industry, newer faster rides are needed
Mattie
Super Administrator

Post by Mattie »

PNC, I recall seeing the Avalanche at the Orion Shopping Centre opening at Springfield, Queensland (yes I had to clarrify, because just like America we have a Springfield in every state). Was that your ride?
Founder / Editor
Australian Amusement Fanatics
princess

Post by princess »

lol Vee, yes.

Ben that is why some counrty shows are so excellent, look at the ride line up we have been talking about for Rocky and Gympie etc, great mixture of old and new.

As for the age of Skymaster it was not around at Sydney 30 years ago, it may have been somewhere in Australia, I do not remember it at Ekka or Adelaide for that matter, neither was Zipper, or I would have ridden it, I had no fear then. (though on reflection and mathamatics, I am talking about 1975 cough) :roll:
PNC

Post by PNC »

no the avalanche at the open day was the one pictured above, my dads is known as the dominator.

Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I will find out about Durkin's portable Skymaster debut.

The first Skymaster built in Australia by Ferarri was at Sydney's Luna Park debuting 1969 - it looks every bit as modern as anything made today in my opinion, for its 38 years of age. Does the same apply to you, Princess? :wink:
princess

Post by princess »

You bet it does Zamperla :D
Kahlan

Post by Kahlan »

It seems that I may be in Brisbane at the time of the Ekka, for the 11th and 12th (saturday and sunday).

Do people here generally meet up there? If so, would I be able to tag along? Also, I've never been to a show other than our local one... What would be suggested money amounts to take? Any other things that you should take to make life easier? What's the average cost of a ride? Any other tips?

If people do want to meet up with me there, feel free to pm me to get my mobile number.
Carniwh_re.

^I'm so getting that on my senior Jersey
Kahlan

Post by Kahlan »

Awesome, thanks!

The only two of those I've been on are the scorpion and the breakdance.

Thanks for the advice though! I think entry will be about $16. Well, that's what's currently on the site. Now I have to start saving money for rides. :P

Thanks again! :)

And the post I was replying to just went missing. :P
Carniwh_re.

princess

Post by princess »

lol, Hurricane should be able to fill you in on the money situation. :lol:
Kahlan

Post by Kahlan »

Fair enough? :P
Carniwh_re.

princess

Post by princess »

Kahlan, I dont know which day I am going, I am crowdaphobic, so it will be one of those days where there are no public holidays or weekends, but I am going and yes we do meet, but that is all dependent on when people can all make it.
Kahlan

Post by Kahlan »

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

:P I would prefer to not go on a weekend, but mum has told me I'm not to miss any school. Blagh.

:P
Carniwh_re.

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

WARNING BIG POST AHEAD:

Ride Prices from 06 EKKA:

$10 - Bells No Limit
$30 - Durkins Slingshot
$15 - Paviers Extreme Speed Machine $10 Re-Rides
$7 - Watkins Space Roller and Johnsons Hard Rock
$6 - Majority of other Thrill Rides (Breakdance, Thunderbolt, Twin Flip Etc.)
$4 - All Kiddie Rides (Rockin Tug Etc.)

If you have any more questions, Don't hesitate to ask :)
princess

Post by princess »

Last year I thought Bells charged 15 and 10 when they were a bit slow, if they are ten I think they will get more people riding, better than having no one ride
Kahlan

Post by Kahlan »

That's awesome. Thank you so much!

So about $100 for rides per day? That gives me 10 basic rides, and a few of the majors.

Thank you again, that's really helpful! (and that wasn't sarcastic, sorry if it sounded like it...)
Carniwh_re.

Kahlan

Post by Kahlan »

Oh, and is food pretty average?

($4 for a cup of chips, $2.50 for a can of coke)

If so, $150 should cover entry, the limited amount of food I may want after the rides, and rides. What about any other costs that may come up?

Sorry about all the questions, but at the show here, I just take a bag and pre-bought ride tickets. I don't want to take a bag with the Ekka, because I'm intending on going on more rides... :P
Carniwh_re.

benclare

Post by benclare »

Kahlan wrote:Awesome, thanks!

The only two of those I've been on are the scorpion and the breakdance.

Thanks for the advice though! I think entry will be about $16. Well, that's what's currently on the site. Now I have to start saving money for rides. :P

Thanks again! :)

And the post I was replying to just went missing. :P
Sorry about that. It was me who accidentally deleted my own post about the ride prices and recommendations. I thought I was clicking "yes" to something else. :oops:

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have an awesome time and will be amazed at the speed of some of our new attractions.