Rockhampton Show

Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Not great weather, and not great weather here in Sydney either. Yes could you take some photos of the rides getting set-up Josh? And is your site near the rides or futher away?
DEEFA DODGEM

Rockhampton Show.

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

As you would have read from Joshs' last few posts, the weather up here has been miserable so far with the sun coming out today for the first time in about a week. The show society (Rocky council) has been busy the last couple of days pulling trucks out of bog-holes with a D4 dozer and a couple of big tractors. As of lunch time today, there was still a lot of work to do before the show kicks of tomorrow morning. Marchs' new Sky Walker was still racked on it's trailer and there was still a lot of empty spaces left, truck loads of chipbark were getting spread around a lot of these spaces though. Here is a "rough" list of what was in at lunch time, mind you there could be a few more but I left my mud boots at home.....
1. SKY VIEW
2. HARD ROCK
3. CRAZY COASTER
4. ENERGY STORM
5. ALPINE EXPRESS
6. DODGEMS (Davis)
7. MEGA DROP
8. DODGEMS (Cronks)
9. JOY WHIZZER
10.FLASH DANCE
11.ALI BABA (Marshalls)
12.ZIPPER (Shorts)
13.FUN FACTORY
14.DODGEMS (Shorts)
15.DODGEMS (Pinks)
16.BREAK DANCE
17.HURRICANE (Marchs')
18.ALI BABA (Gill Bros.)
19.SKY WALKER
20.HANG OVER
21.FUN FACTORY
22.JUMBO SLIDE
23.DODGEMS (Gill Bros')
24.SPACE ROLLER
25.JUMBO SLIDE (Marchs')
26.EXTREME SPEED MACHINE
27.ZIPPER (Davis' MAYBE?)
28.HALLOWEEN
29.F.X. SIMULATOR
30.CYBER PARTY
31.SCORPION
32.DODGEMS (?)

Like I said,this is only a rough list, there could be a few more tucked in there somewhere but until I can get all the way around with out sinking in mud this is it. Strangely there are no Big Wheels to take on the Sky View this year, Verfurths had their Wheel outside this morning but has since moved on somewhere? On the news tonight, it said it cost the owners of Sky View $50,000 to bring it up from Sydney due to the cost of diesel!! I hope they make some of that back at the next few shows they are going to do on the northern run. Maybe some of these operators should be looking at using the railway system (Electrified up to Townsville) as an alternative to trucking them, just like "the old days." I Will update the list if there are any changes..........DEEFA.
PNC

Post by PNC »

looks like a great line up, i would love to see pics of pinks dodgems (they have a new set) also, is power surge there?
princess

Post by princess »

Nice work Deefa, sounds terrible, :cry: hopefully all will be well. :lol:
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

That is a very worthy list - and probably beats what has been to Melbourne and EKKA in the last few years. Fingers crossed for a break in the weather.

Can we have plenty of photos of Cyberparty please?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

I think we can actually give up on the Melbourne Show, ever since 2003, it went down the crap
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Great line-up, that is strange Deffa that there are no other wheels to have compertition with the SkyView. I would've thought that the Chant's Wheel would be there. I dare say Johnson's will make $50,000 to pay off all the fuel for the SkyView. Really, I don't think they should've wasted their money on a wheel that big, few reasons:
1. We don't have the numbers of people in Aus like overseas where they could afford to keep a wheel that big running.
2. The amount of trailers is ridiculous and again, there isn't enough people in Aus to spend their money and for them to pay staff wages, transport the machine, make themselves a profit and keep it in good shape.
3. Sure, I do like the wheel, but 15 trailers is ridiculous and I don't see why you would want the biggest wheel in Aus.

Take Chant's new wheel which is currently being manufactured for example:
It's on 2 trailers and is 32 metres high.
Takes 6 hours to set-up
Will be a good wheel and they won't have to spend that amount of money to transport it, set it up etc.

I'm not knocking Johnson's but I'm saying we don't have the numbers of people that go to shows and events in Aus like they have overseas.

Cheers
Top Gunner14
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Thing your right Top Gunner
A wheel that big would need a lot of riders to make it pay wouldn't it

Hope the weather holds out so they have success recouping the expense
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

One of the operators on marshall's Ali Baba was telling me at Hawkesbury is tht they must have a full queve of people on each side of the ticket box(or have both lines full,) for them to make a reasonable turnover, and they must have the consistent flow of this people riding. Even if you walk past and the lines are sort of full, they aren't making enough. It is very hard for them to make a good turnover or profit. If I was a Showman, I would definatly not buy this size of wheel.
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Well all the crossed fingers must of had an effect near perfect day for Rocky's showday a little cloud but quite warm and sunny
Got half way there and realized I forgot my camera Bugger

Gave Space roller and Sky Walker a try my pick was Space roller a somehow imagined Sky Walker would Spin much faster but after riding it It goes faster enough Sky Walker Backdrop looks very impressive

OMG how many dodgem tracks did i count at least 5 or six

Looks like there a a big crowd for the afternoon as i left the queue at the main gate was enormous

shame the show ground people didn't seem to get around to repair the damage the rain caused some area looked like a bog hole would it have been to hard to get in there with a bobcat and at least level the ground out
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Good to hear the weather is ok. And great that the people of Rocky are getting out to support their local show and spend their money. I'd say the Showies must be a bit happier. At our local show, we get about 5-6 Dodgem Tracks. Glad to hear you liked Skywalker too. It is a great ride IMO.
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Forgot to mention Halloween appeared to be running smoothly while I was there so maybe they have ironed out the problems
Although I wonder for how long I could imaging the electric spiral lift hill would be problematic
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Golden Way have sorted out all the problems or the time with the ride. Its all the track that is the problem. I think the manufacturers need to pay a bit more attention and do a bit of fixing up on their Ghost Trains for future units made.
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Hey all, Just got home after a loooong 3 days. Got sunburnt as!!! yay.. Got 1 little sprinkle today, but not enough to worry about.
Tuesday - quiet. Today - quiet. but public holiday wednesday was the biggest day in 7 years for Rocky. 18000 people through by 3pm, not sure on a total figure yet...
Council scrwed up our site, wasn't the best spot, but we had a good couple of days still...
Shame about the amount of gaps around the rides. Alot didn't show up...
Their loss though, grounds held up well, great show.
Sky Walker looks sexy as!! Night or day.. impressive lights/sound.
Will sleep for a bit, talk ta yas soon... josh
"Slingshot , Engage"
princess

Post by princess »

Yes Josh, we all like the way skywalker looked too, love it more at night, yeah I think you could say sexy, like a night club feel, all you need is a drink and a dance floor. 8) :idea:

Glad you did well.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Sounds like a great time Josh. What rides did you go on? :?: What ride do you think was the most popular during the show? :?: I'm sure your snowcones went down a fine treat; good to hear the weather and showgrounds held out.

It does seem Bell's Amusements aren't travelling around as much as they used to. Does anyone know where No Limit is now? I think they missed a large number of QLD shows last year too; is this due to staffing again?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Princess, You know you can't drink and ride! :wink:

Also with the Bells not traveling as much anymore, It probably is because of the staffing issues. If they have got as bad as mentioned you may find they will only be doing capitals for the time being. No Limit is probably in it's shed with ThunderBolt awaiting the EKKA.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

SOme of Bell's rides are up doing the North run. I know after Sydney, Tornado was going up along with I think Music Trip, Cha Cha and maybe the Dodgems. Yes, it is all to do with the staffing. Yes, I think No Limit is down in Queanbeyan. Poor Thunderbolt, it really is shocking and I feel sorry for Elwin Snr. But the trouble with Thunderbolt, there is ALOT of pieces for the ride. It's really one MASSIVE jigsaw puzzle. Shame with No Limit too, with Elwin Jnr wanting to pay it off so he can focus on getting Turbo finished. It really should be travelling. Fantastic ride No Limit.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Also, what rides didn't turn up and has Space Roller got the new signs yet?
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Hey guys,
Sorry I havent been back for a few days, been playing cars in Maryborough.
Don't be dissapointed... But I only went on the sky view :(
haha... We shut early on first night and snuck down for a walk around and splurged the 8 bucks.
Honestly, I have a whole new respect for you guys who travel... 7.30am to 10.30pm is long! hehe, and I could go home each night to my own bed and not have to worry about the next show etc... But at the same time, i enjoyed every minute...
My truck is still full with all my gear and stock!! slack hey...
Talk soon, have fun.
"Slingshot , Engage"