EKKA 2008

PNC

Post by PNC »

got to the show on tuesday, went on a few rides, heres a bit of what i thought:

first was hard rock, i love this ride and i will go on it every time i see it, staff were great and had a good cycle 9.5/10

then to space roller, not sure who the op was but he gave a great fast ride, i got of it very light headed, ride looks great and once again staff were great 9/10

from there i went accross the street to speed, i was very worried about this one, i was first on so i had to wait up top for a few seconds for people to get on the other end, and dam you feel high, this did not help my worries at the time, once we got going i found it to be a very smooth and comfortable ride, not as intense as i thought it would be, but a good cycle on a smooth ride is always good id rate it 8/10

then i made my long awaited journey to a ride i have wanted to see and ride for some time, the skywalker, what a ride, it presents great and gives a really good ride, the crotch part of the seat isnt real good, but i got over it and i will ride it again. 9/10

i also went on the worm coaster with my son, the staff there were also great and he seemed to enjoy it, we did 3 laps and i think 2 would have been enough, id give it 8/10 for a kids ride, both kids also went on some other rides, all staff were real nice to them.

some other things i looked at were the ghost trains, halloween is massive, it was unbeilievable, but other than shear size it was pretty plain especially considering the effort tpa put into roller ghoster and the great refurb haunted hotel had, i would put them in order of haunted hotel (simply because it looks like a park model and i think it has to be set up like that every time) then roller ghosted because of the great presentation then halloween, it does however look really good.

thats the end for me, we had a great day at the show and we look forward to next year
benclare

Post by benclare »

Awesome reviews guys! :D

Perhaps we'll meet up in Adelaide Scorpion and Zamperla? I'll be in Town from Saturday, 6 September until the following Wednesday. At this stage I'll be heading to the Show on the Monday evening; hopefully it doesn't close early on that night because that's the only free time I'll have during the AusAid training course I'm attending.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks for the reviews everyone also. Yeh PNC, that would be my placing for the Ghost Trains
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks PNC, it was a great review, you did not try NO Limit, any reason, just interested.
Force10

Post by Force10 »

hey guys, yeah Turbox, i rated insanity higher than space roller, purely based on the shear comfort and smoothness of the ride. not that space roller was uncomfortable but just that it comes to a point when u need that ride to end.. as i said i could have stayed on insanity all night if it wasn't so expensive!
There is no comparison between insanity and no limit. both very different ride motions... but they are both up there for intenseness. I haven't ridden speed yet... but i hope to give it ago on sat night. I will post a comparison rating this sunday.
Cheers,
Force.
Last edited by Force10 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

as far as I know Ben I think the rides stay open till 11 each night and till after midnight on the first saturday and the last friday. i'd be up for that monday night, let me know. (but i'm not sure if Zamperla can take photos after I paid out Hurricane, my friend Bek assures me that I looked mightily sh** scared on Hangover last year!).

I can't get a good look at it, but The Big Dipper looks very yellow from what I can see out in the distance - must be all set up now as the cranes have left......... sorry i put this in the ekka thread but it was responding to Ben's question.
PNC

Post by PNC »

princess, i went on no liit last year and simply ran out of time, it was getting to cold for the kids by 5ish, the rides area always gets cold fast, no limit is probably the most intense ride i have been on, then probably space roller, when i went on it at the show it was running pretty dam fast, i wonder if it was OZ that was operating it (i know it wasnt Russell)

if it was you OZ, i was the guy that John Roberts came to see you about, when Chris Hennessy was in the control booth as well
princess

Post by princess »

PNC you should of just asked where OZ was, he is probabley the only one on this forum who actually has meet us all, lol, :lol:
creeper

Post by creeper »

princess wrote:Haunted Hotel, looks like it came from the Munsters TV show. :lol:
Wow is the only word to describe the Haunted Hotel...night shots are awsome ...looks very scary!!
princess

Post by princess »

Welcome Creeper, yes its lighting looks totally amazing, as topgunner mentioned before, Lew Osborne has a lighting company, so we really would only expect the best lighting. I heard that there is also simulated lightening, maybe this could be added to by some simulated thunder.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yep I'm up for Monday night in Adelaide Scorpion and can't wait to ride Insanity and Big Dipper.

Getting back to Ekka... I have heard show attendances are up big time on last year with approximately 90000 going through the gates yesterday. I hope all you Showies made a killing to make up for the disappointment of last year! 90000 is a huge number; it's fairly equivalent to what the RES attracts on Good Friday and the Easter weekend. I know you can hardly move on those days! I have been to the Show at those times and it can be nothing short of frightening with the large numbers of people forcing the complete closure of the Showbag Hall and the ride cycles are usually shorter than normal because so many people are waiting. You also can't get a seat in any of the arinas which is terrible when you're walking around all day; even getting a seat on a ride takes a lot of time! At least things calm down in the carnival once the fireworks are over as most people are getting their last minute showbags before catching the bus or train home. That's the time to hit the rides on those sort of days!
princess

Post by princess »

Ben that is the reason I like to get there on a nice middle of the week day, ok everyone coming make sure you can get time off, at Sydney, isnt the school holidays on again this year, we will also want to get there on a day that they have wrist bands. LOL sorry already planning.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Good to plan early Princess 8) And it is good that there are heaps more people this year. Flu mustn't be as bad this year
ozshowkid

Post by ozshowkid »

Yeah that was me operating the Roller, practice makes perfect my friend. I thought that was you but I was talking so i figured you'd be back later. I'll catch up somewhere.
come one, come all, come in its time for a showtime spin
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Princess dont you worry, im already rounding up the friends to get ready for SYDNEY 2009.... its a tradition for us now to get up there for Rainbow and the rest of the show.
Wristbands a must.... Lots of rides on Rainbow a definite must...

cant wait!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

What's your goal for the ride count for Rainbow next year? 50, 60 maybe Huss?
benclare

Post by benclare »

I have no doubt the wrist bans will be back for next year as there were heaps of people taking advantage of the unlimited rides offer. In previous years the offer was on the Tuesday evenings but was on the first day this year, probably in an attempt to attract more people to the Show on that day which I think worked big time for them! Unfortunately the RES will be held during school holidays apart from the first day I think which is April 9.

For those of you who have visited Ekka, what has been the most popular ride in your oppinion? I haven't heard of any major breakdowns so hopefully there haven't been any. I would be interested to know whether Sky Walker and Insanity outdid No Limit and Speed and who won the battle of the ghost trains; I'm guessing Haunted Hotel judging by what you guys have said about it so far.
princess

Post by princess »

Yes Ben I am interested too, I have not heard No Limit mentioned much, so yeah I want to know.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I think No Limit got a mention once and I havn't heard anything since. Yeh, I'd say Haunted Hotel is winning the triple battle of the Ghost Trains. The RES should get more people next year with the show running in the school holidays. Hopefully I can miss out on family holidays and get to the show with the cattle :x :cry:
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

hey guys,

hurricane ,me and Vicki went to the ekka last night the first time Vicki had been to a big show and she had a ball our first ride was

Wave Swinger a great ride that feels so much different at night then it does during the day, it was the first time Vicki had been on the w.s. and also the first time she had seen it set up completely we all had a nice relaxing ride watching the crowd come down from the ring.

Sky walker was ride no 2 i still love the ride its a great ride, although it seemed to be a different ride cycle from Friday and Luke wasn't operating it so it seemed to be more surprising. with that being said i don't think hurricane enjoyed as much as he did the first time he jumped on it as it seemed to be more intense ride and i think he was walking a lil bit more strange if you know what i mean. but overall it was still a good ride. 8/10

ride no 3 was Insanity hoping that Vicki would be scared and scream her head of like she was hopping to worked she screamed till she couldn't scream any longer, with hurricane on the other side of us was laughing at both Vicki and i as we were both screaming i think i wanted to get off and the more i screamed the louder hurricane laughed at me. in a good way i rate it a 8/10

ride no 4 was power surge a ride yet again Vicki hadn't been on before
she loved it and it was defiantly not a let down a decent ride cycle but rates only 6/10

ride no 5 was Taipan we've all heard that a picture is worth a thousand words well i wish we had brought the photo so i could've posted it. Vicki being scared of roller coasters so hurricane and i new it was going to be interesting with hurricane in the front and Vicki and i in the back ,Vicki hanging on to me with dear life and hurricane trying trying to be the supportive friend lend her his hand after the first few turns him taking his hand back for circulation reasons but at the end hurricane face seemed to worth a mint and vicki trying to hide from the camera so no one could see the fear across her face. but overall it was a 7/10

ride no 6 was Space roller wow what a great ride the 2nd time was with a different ride operator and i think it was one of the best rides ive had we put Vicki on the end so she could experience the ride more and i must say that we all loved it i wish we had more time so we could go on it again and again. i rate it a 9.5/10

ride no 7 was Break dance we knew one of the loaders so it was a great ride as he spun us so hard that it took us a bit to stop us from being dizzy
hurricane and i were in 1 car and Vicki and the loader in the other but it was such a good ride that we were still dizzy when we got off.over all i rate it 7.5/10

and last of all ride no 8 was the hang over after riding newer models of different names i felt right at home with on this ride with Vicki beside me and hurricane on the other end, the loud sounds that this particular ride makes scared the daylights out of Vicki with her whole body going white all i could do was laugh . the ride itself was an open air ride and it felt nice to not be caged in.overall i rate this ride a 7/10 mostly because it was last ride and there was no music maybe also there was no operator interaction and also that being what im used to.
cheers katie
Turbo_X

Post by Turbo_X »

hmm, good review katestow. i loved hearing about the riders faces and i think that seeing your freinds photo on taipan coulda been interesting 2 say the least. with the hang mabe there was no music cause it was the last ride they mite have put the speakers away for the night. i must give insanity a ride after reading these reviews as it just sounds well insane.

also how was no limit running, i know you said you didn't get a ride but how was the cycle looking?
Turbo... The Xtreme Machine!
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

turbo_x

you maybe aware that when we were there on friday last week that we had a ride on NO Limit but when were there yesterday i must say that it looked al the same with the cycle appearing ti be just as bad as it was when were there last week with what only appears to of had 1 upside down spin. i hope this makes sense for you and helps.
cheers katie
Turbo_X

Post by Turbo_X »

katestow,

yes that is what i was interested in hearing. its a bit of a shame that NO LIMIT is running the way you are saying, maybe elwyn should be a bit worried about insanity taking its place as the best pendulum ride in oz.
Turbo... The Xtreme Machine!
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

could it be that NO LIMIT is losing its appeal slightly?

who really knows...
benclare

Post by benclare »

LOL Kate. Your review had me really laughing; I sure I wish I was there, you sound like a fun bunch! :)

I'm yet to ride Insanity so can't make a comparison with No Limit yet but I doubt whether NL will lose its appeal among thrill riders and definitely not spectators! That said, I do wonder why Insanity hasn't done the Sydney RES yet.