EKKA 2008

Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes, let's hope it'll be all sorted and it is a shame, I'd like to ride it and rate it to other models such as A.R.M, Fabbri etc
princess

Post by princess »

The review is where? Hello :roll:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh, it's been 4 days now and still no review. I've been wondering too :?
Force10

Post by Force10 »

don't worry princess and topgunner im heading there today! so i should get something up tonite!
sit tight guys... it will be worth the wait
princess

Post by princess »

Well thank goodness someone cares :wink:, well done force 10, we can get a review from you, hopefully on the same day, or at least the next, what is this again, oh day 4. your forgiven Zamperla, as you are on your way home.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yep am craving a review too so can't wait for your contributions! I did locate one 2008 Ekka video on You Tube. The tag says it's a video of the Slingshot in action and you can see and hear several rides going in the background; perhaps Skywalker? I couldn't be absolutely certain.

I hope you all had a fantastic time; the weather sure has been kind as it usually is! :)
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy with work but here's a quick review of EKKA. I didn't get to do that many rides due to the lack of money, but me and Kate will probably head in next week some time provided my pay goes in... Also with photos, I am not posting them yet as I am waiting to go next week so I can get enough photos to do a full review.

Anyway, around mid day we met up with Matt at the Red Rooster and got to meet everyone except Dave has he was busily taking photos. After that we headed over to the Haunted Hotel and met up with Dave, And wow... Lew Osbourne has done an AMAZING job with the ride. Even the staff were costumed with makeup etc. I didn't ride it because of the spider factor but I'm sure Dave will give his review later.

After that we headed over to Breakdance, the ride was a great ride but a rather short cycle. Which was good in my books as the Red Rooster took a turn for the worse! I walked off a bit dizzy, and had to sit down for 5 minutes before tackling the next ride.

We then headed over to No Limit, and Elwin was sitting in the ticket box... but just be warned now. This ride is the ONLY one that I encountered that would not accept the Discount Ride Coupons. So Matt then paid for my ride in return for 10 coupons. We then jumped on because it was looking like a GREAT cycle with Elwin driving it. However when we got on Elwin left the ride.

The ride started up, with NO interaction from the operator at all, the cycle only had one full upside down flip and was very short. I came off rather disappointed, as did Matt and Kate. Sadly I will now think twice about riding this machine.

We then decided to head over to SkyWalker, which Dave decided to skip. The first thing I noticed about this ride is the sheer size of it, I was almost too scared to conquer this beast. I walked over to the control box with Kate (which now has artwork and is no longer white, Top Gunner :P) Luke Hennessy was controlling it and after a quick talk, we were told in his exact words "Get on"

Luke decided to give us all a bit of a extra spin, giving us the "long" cycle. There was plenty of intense spinning action and operator interaction. The ride itself wasn't that painful downstairs... except for one real awkward slam mid ride that was VERY audible! The ride then lowered and we exited towards the control box and gave Luke the big thumbs up. This would have had to be my 2nd favorite ride, with Space Roller coming in a very close 1st.

We decided to toddle over to the Zipper, which left me us all a bit disappointed. The ride was in good shape, and me and Kate hopped into the first carriage. The ride was making some very loud squeaking noises and a loud clunk all the time. It was almost offputting. Overall we didn't flip very much so me and Kate decided to loosen our grip... then at the last minute we got some INSANE flipping action, complete with the lump to the head as both me and Kate hit our heads on the grab bars.
Overall it was an average ride.

We headed over to Space Roller after that, and spent some time talking to Ozshowkid. After around 15 minutes we all jumped on for a freebie. It wasn't him running it... but whoever was running it was a BRILLIANT operator! The ride went for a solid 5 minutes... and going backwards was just insane! The speed it picked up was almost too much for me as I decided to sit on the outside seat. The ride was in immaculate condition with the tunes pumping out of it.

Everyone then meandered around for a little bit before deciding to do either Insanity or Speed. We ended up choosing Insanity. Dave decided to sit this one out too as he wasn't feeling the best. We then brought our tickets and it was sad because the person running it came up to me and said "Your back this year... Did you actually get a full ride on it last time?" we then got to have a little talk to her about the ride. The reason it hasn't done many shows is because it was taken off the road to fix ALL the problems with it. It apparently had had only 1 breakdown the whole time of the show but it just needed to be re-set.

Matt jumped on the ride, and then me and Kate piled onto the other side. And we finally found a ride that Kate was SCARED of... She was screaming and shouting at me for dragging her on it. The ride was very smooth this year (read my Ekka review from last year for more info) After around 4 minutes the ride came to a stop and that is basically where we left it...

It was really great to meet up with everyone and I had a great day.

Ride Summary.

Breakdance : 6 / 10
No Limit : 5 / 10
SkyWalker : 8.5 / 10
Space Roller : 9 / 10
Insainty : 8 / 10
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks Hurri, for finally getting a review to us, we will look forward to others.

By the way, you are supposed to get scared on Ghost Trains lol :lol:, I will look forward to seeing how Haunted Hotel looks, funny we have to wait until Sydney, before we get a chance to see the change.
Last edited by princess on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Princess, I have my reasons as to why I don't ride such torture devices... And also feel free to call me Dan on the forums :P
princess

Post by princess »

Oh I am ssooooo sorry Dan, I hope I did not embrass you, I would hate to do that. :shock: :P
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Shh... lol. You know for that comment... I am dragging you onto the Zipper at RES weather you like it or not! :lol:
princess

Post by princess »

lol, I dont think so.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Oh... but I do :twisted: Either that... Or No Limit! Which by the way it was running on Friday should honestly be a piece of cake for you Princess.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Brilliant review as always Hurricane. I feel a bit sorry for Zamperla as I think he felt a bit crook after our ride on Breakdance earlier this year in Sydney; so did I come to think of it...

Very disappointing about No Limit; the fellow who operated it through most of the RES had absolutely no interaction with riders apart from the standard safety precautions but was totally unbelievable on the controls; pulling the ride upside down several times and doing a lot of swinging backwards and forwards at the start of the cycle to really build up the momentum.
Your talk of Insanity definitely makes me want to try it even more; an opportunity I'll hopefully get in Adelaide next month.

Also good to hear SR is as good as usual; I have to spend more time on this ride I think! I usually give it a miss in favour of Thunderbolt or something like that but it's definitely a great ride.

Keep the reviews coming guys; hopefully you're feeling better Zamperla!
Force10

Post by Force10 »

hi guys, i will keep this short and sweet. have an assignment to write for tomorrow...

Arrived at 2pm ish and headed straight for a pit stop before me and my sis took on skywalker! well talk about uncomfortable. lets just say we were both very glad we took a pit stop! Excellent ride. Quite a long cycle, as long we could handle, its very intense!

Then it was time for a dagwood or two, Pinky's did not disappoint either! After letting lunch settle it was back for more rides, Space roller was it. The ride before us had a very long cycle and heaps of driver interaction.. ours wasn't so great...tiny bit of interaction and shorter cycle. and i didn't get to sit on an outside seat! Still a nice ride. though little concerned 2 of the 5 arms weren't in use? we were wondering if there was something wrong with it... overall the ride in my opinion isn't looking as good as it did in it's debut year.

Since 08 seems to be the yr of the Ghost train resurgence, we made it a mission to experience all of them...My sister and her husband then rode Halloween... (i sat this one out) they were a little disappointed with it, but enjoyed the crazy spoke with the feather duster! i think it will still do ok because of the high volume it seems to be able to process very quickly.

Next up for me was no limit! well that was awesome. quite a good cycle, it would have edged the 3min mark. very happy with it. was as good as the other times i've ridden it

Then it was time for ROLLER GHOSTER! well that was excellent.. They have really put alot of effort into presenting it and it payed off! The spokes were great, and i was so impressed i even purchased the photo at the end.. i wil get it up for you all when i get it scanned (hilarious!) it actually scared the s#!t out of me!. Next up was Haunted Hotel, that was also fantastic. the osbourne's should be very proud of it's new theming, and the fantastic staff! oh and getting to keep the ticket as a souvenir!

My Ratings.
SKYWALKER 8/10
SPACEROLLER 7.5/10
NO LIMIT 8/10

ROLLER GHOSTER NO.1 (me and bro-inlaw)
HANTED MANSION NO.2 (me and bro-inlaw)

HALLOWEEN NO.3 (sister and bro-inlaw)

Still more rides to come, i will be there wednesday aswell as saturday, and i now have ride vouchers!! stay posted.

Will be riding:

HANGOVER
BREAKDANCE
CLAW
INSANITY
ZIPPER
HARDROCK
TAIPAN
next visit.
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks force 10, really enjoyed your review, especially your reviews of the ghost trains, gosh I think I will have to go on them now, just so as I can give an updated opinion, still waiting to see the pictures of Haunted Hotel, I have always been very impressed with Roller Ghosters theming, so from all accounts Haunted Hotel, should be worth seeing.

Ben we were all not well after Breakdance, mmm, only eight months to go. :cry:

I dont eat cake Hurricane.
:lol:
ozshowkid

Post by ozshowkid »

Force you may have had a short ride due to someone feeling sick all the cycles are the same just the bit where i stop it and start it again is different. If I see a rider feeling sick or scared we stop and thats it. The reason we were not using all 6 cars is because you must keep the ride as balanced as possible so if you have enough people to fill 2 cars but not 4 we fill to and run the ride. Stops people getting grumpy from sitting in the seat for to long.

Cheers OZshowkid
come one, come all, come in its time for a showtime spin
princess

Post by princess »

And we dont want grumpy people, do we Oz? :wink:
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

dissapointed to hear about No Limit but i think i might have to try Insanity in Adelaide this year.

good to hear they are donig this on space roller - had to wait nearly 10 mins for it to start up last year --- very uncomfortable you no where!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Great reviews everyone. Keep them coming and hope to see some photos
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Oz I think the few rides you gave me and my friend in Sydney this year were insane... I think we were the only two on the ride loving it, I don't think i have ever been on Space Roller like that... nonetheless I loved it.... the faster the better I reckon, it feels amazing!!
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

The squeeking and clunk sounds like the same noises when zipper was in Rocky. They were running it and stopping it alot with panels taken off the trailer while it was here, sounded like a brake related noise? Obviously nothing to worry about, but it was a fair old noise when it was here.
Great reviews guys, keep it up.
"Slingshot , Engage"
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Oh cheers for that Oz, well i will give it another go on wednesday! don't get me wrong i still think its an awesome ride!
I will suss out the crowd line before i go next time- make sure their is no potencial sicky's or chicken s#!Ts!
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

I love those noises coming from Zipper, haha could always hear that squeeking noise from my beach house at Rye.... nothing to worry about
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Not the normal squeek dude. This one is more like a vibration from a brake drum type noise..
"Slingshot , Engage"