EKKA 2008

princess

EKKA 2008

Post by princess »

If SA can have their ride lineup up, how come Ekka does not have theirs up yet, or at least a run down.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Where... doesnt look like it to me, says mid august.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Because the Ekka is just a Wannabe Sydney Show? Also latley EKKA hasn't been posting full ride lists, only mentioning the major rides (No Limit, Insanity etc.)

I presume the ride list will be very much the same as last year. But to include Sky Walker. However there isn't exactly much room for SkyWalker, so maybe Claw or Chaos might end up getting the boot this year. Either that or it may end up in "Nova Park" where the Flash Dance was last year. When I go to buy my RACQ vouchers again this year, I will get a ride list from them.

EDIT:
2 Rides have been confirmed at EKKA in the "Sunny Queen Smile Zone" kids area. Skyview and Wacky Worm will be back. I'm trying to find info on the other rides though.
princess

Post by princess »

Interesting what you say about Chaos and Claw, they were, imo, put in the area in Sydney that all the rides that are on their last legs, get put. imo.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Well I'm just being realistic, in the last 2 years i've been to Ekka, i've NEVER seen those rides running with full loads. Even on the EKKA public holiday.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh, I think the next rides at Sydney to go will be Claw or chaos. Im sure Skywalker will slot in somewhere. And last years ekka website only put up the new rides of the show. And the Sydney website only puts up most of the major rides
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Very true Princess,
Chaos, Thunderbolt, Claw and Startship 2000 are like on death row in Sydney... who knows
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Not sure whether you can put Thunderbolt in that category - it has no trouble dragging in the riders. Starship 2000 also does surprisingly well.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Yeah, I don't think Thunderbolt and Starship 2000 would be on Death Row at RES just yet... However Starship 2000 never does that well at Ekka from what I have seen.

I will agree about Claw and Chaos being on death row though... now we can only hope Raupen Bahn is next on that list :P
benclare

Post by benclare »

I guess it's possible we may lose a roller coaster too if this new Big Dipper takes off in popularity although most major shows can probably handle three coasters at one time. If one does go, which one do you reckon it'd be, Crazy Coaster or Taipan? I'm guessing Taipan because of its huge footprint and the amount of time it takes to set up and pull down, Crazy Coaster doesn't take up much room, is very popular and can be set up in half a day or less. I don't suppose people would miss the Claw or Chaos too much, definitely not Chaos anyway; the Claw is still fairly popular among thrillseekers at least.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Hmmm... I much prefer the Taipan to the Crazy Coaster.... It just didn't thrill me very much. And I found Chaos to be a bore at the least.
PNC

Post by PNC »

chaos is for sale as well (well so i heard) maybe that is the reason
princess

Post by princess »

I found Tiapan very boring, I did enjoy crazy coaster.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I wouldn't buy that ride if it was the last ride in the world! It's sorta like a Zipper and Enterprise had a baby... but sadly it wasn't a very good baby :(

Maybe I need to ride Crazy Coaster with a heap of people of the Politically Incorrect weight, maybe that way I'll spin. I mean I only weigh 75kg... and I rode it by myself and I didn't spin ONCE :(
princess

Post by princess »

Well dont look at me, I am under that weight :?
benclare

Post by benclare »

Personally I really enjoy Crazy Coaster and I often get rides where it spins almost continuously. Also, the first drop is halfway decent and there's a really thrilling part near the end when the car goes from side to side around the track and it feels like you're gonna crash or keep on going right through the station; the brakes are awesome!

I do like Taipan as well although it has been a few years since I've ridden it; the sound it makes is the best thing about it I reckon.

I wonder who will buy Chaos?
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I rode Taipan for the first time this year and I enjoyed it. And I always enjoy Crazy Coaster. Will be interesting who does buy Chaos. I thought Chaos was alright but not that great
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Get rid of Raupen Bahn, Starship 2000, and Claw....
Really these rides aren't anything special, they've had their day, and proven that they don't really have lasting power, well apart from Starship, but who gives a sh** about spinning around against a wall.....
benclare

Post by benclare »

If they're determined to keep Gravitron and of course they will because of its popularity, they should bring back the one with the camera on the outside. I remember when it did RES during the first few years at Homebush; the numbers of people standing around the ride were enormous and some people were persuaded to ride too, terrified parents were often dragged on by their little kids and the audience were always captivated by what was happening on ride! I'm surprised most Gravitron owners haven't invested in these cameras.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

But how many cameras would you need, maybe 4-5? Would be good and get a good crowd. The vortex at Dreamworld has the viewing platform over the top of the ride for people to see, but that'd be to extreme or big to setup
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Well, The ekka website has listed a few more rides that are attending this year.

Sky Walker

Sky Walker is the newest thrill ride to the Show this year whisking riders 24m into the air whilst revolving on three different axis spinning thrill seekers in all directions.

Power Surge

The Power Surge demands attention from its explosive star centre to each of the ride's arms, covered in flashing lightening bolts. Its surging power and spectacular presence cannot be missed when it surges into full motion at a surprising 17.5 metres. While listening to the pumping music, riders are encouraged to let their hair down, let go and scream for more - if they dare!

Insanity

Manufactured by the company that brought you the Slingshot, Insanity is set to thrill this Ekka. Standing 45 metres tall, rotating eight riders at a 42-metre radius with an unusual twist - the Insanity is the ride that even astronauts fear!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Great to see that Phillip Durkin will have Insanity up for its (I think) show of the year besides the xmas carnival. No suprise Skywalker is listed and same to with Power Surge. I wonder whether Halloween will be there? I'm sure it will be. Doesn't mention any new kids rides either. I would've thought that O'Neill's Wacky Worm would be there. Probably hasn't doen anything since Sydney :roll:
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Well... Wacky Worm wouldn't be a new ride to Ekka. It was there last year. Maybe Gary has decided to bring Rainbow up instead of Wacky Worm though ;)
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Haha, seems like wishful thinking to me Hurricane.... Id die to see it at the Melbourne Show, the sun staring towards us as we get off the train.... oh so never gonna happen...
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Yeah... seems like wishful thinking... I am not even sure if I'm going to EKKA at this stage. Yet alone if I am even working there.