Gladstone Harbour Festival

Josh in Rocky

Gladstone Harbour Festival

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Finally something to do in C.Qld!!! Hehe, The Harbour festival starts next weekend (Sunday) and runs for a whole week.
Not taking my disco light stand this year, so will just be going for a wonder around. Yay!!!
Taking the kids for a look on Sunday, Will take a couple of pics, though I'm sure our Gladstone members will be out going nuts!
As its been a while between drinks in this neck of the woods....
"Slingshot , Engage"
princess

Re: Gladstone Harbour Festival

Post by princess »

Wish there was a like button :wink:
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Deefa's going too.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

A ride list and photos would be good, as there will be some QLD-based rides at this event most likely.

thanks for the heads-up!
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Will be interesting, not sure if Deefa made it down today, I didn't, (Blew engine up in racecar last night) so had a big day today...
Will probably get there during the week as its an hour or so drive from Rocky.
Last year they had some of Marchs gear, the Tilt and Flashdance from memory. Usually not too bad for a country town carnival.
"Slingshot , Engage"
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Bad luck Josh, will try to head down over the week-end. It's only an hour drive if you drive a Ford!.........Deefa.
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Oh well, got bored today and went to Galddy for a looksie..
Very similar to last year, still a great little festival...
Mcgregors Dodgem Track, No top (signage) lights working, looking second hand, with little fencing around the track too. New Canvas top though.:)
CTLS assortment of kids rides, Operators did a great job. everyone we saw was talking to the kids and having a good time. Accept for the chicky doing the bumper boats, she was chatting with her back turned while my girls were trying to get out of the boats as they couldn't work out how to drive them. Oh well, Bumper Boats fail, teacups and everything else, big thumbs up...
March's Hurricane, Looked quiet again for the old girl. Starting to look a bit overworked and underpaid.. hehe
Trindalls Cyber Party, Looking and running great, good interaction too..
Dales Flash Dance, Still looking great, love watching this ride. Fair few lights out, but still very clean
Cheyne and Sons Merry go round, Fun Factory,
Star Dancer (Centrepoint 2000) Heaps of lights out. Still ran well though. Great family ride.
Trindalls Super Trooper, Looked pretty good overall. not bad..
Ultimate Party Machine, Looking top shelf again, great interaction as usual, very busy all night as a result
L & M Allen's Scrambler, Disgraceful... sad hey, the less said the better
Mean Mother Zipper, looking and running great. Nice...
Kamikazi, Not sure who's it is, all new lights in centre piece and top sign looked the part, paint faded etc, but obviously getting work done. Rode fast and smooth
Temple of Doom Ghost Train, Similar story to scrambler unfortunately, No top sign lights working,
March's jumbo Slide, looked nice and tidy for a fibreglass slide.
Various other kids rides, joints around etc. Well laid out festival, which is why we enjoyed it i guess. Just a shame alot of the equipment wasn't up to par.
I understand that times are tough, and we are working harder for less, but geez, come on, a little effort would be a good start.
I honestly think a ride is only as good as its staff, and as usual, quiet rides were the ones with boys slumped over the trailer, or sitting in a car smoking listening
to their ipods, whistling to girls walking past, and one bloke loading a carriage, then heading back to his female admirer beside the ride for some kisses and cuddles, (Serious) and whatever else... That image that is portrayed to the general public continues to put the industry on the back foot. (In my opinion ofcourse)
Me blabering about it doesn't help either... anyhoo...

I didn't want to be too negative, just shits me to see people bring great equipment, which is presented porely, and employ lazy tools.
Got some pics that I'll put up tomorrow.
Ta, josh
"Slingshot , Engage"
princess

Post by princess »

DEEFA DODGEM wrote:whistling to girls walking past, and one bloke loading a carriage, then heading back to his female admirer beside the ride for some kisses and cuddles, (Serious) and whatever else..
Some things never change.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

StarDancer - it has been quite a while since we've heard of this one operating. Your review was a good read with your candid observations.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yes a great review, thanks for it! I totally agree with you about how staff can really positively or negatively affect an attraction. I always have a better time on the ride if the staff working there are friendly, love their jobs and like interacting with the passengers in a friendly and proffessional way. Wittingslow Amusements were always good at this in the past and Bell's and Goldenway are two companies I have always had positive experiences with.

Good to see the Stardancer is still operating, I haven't seen it for years! It last appeared at the RES in 1999 or there abouts.
princess

Post by princess »

Zamperla wrote:Your review was a good read with your candid observations.
I love the candid comments, keep the coming.
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

Great review will be good to see some pics. Good to hear about Temple of Doom again, dont hear much about it anymore . Im a bit of a fan of the old ghost trains. Anyone no if theres anymore like it still travelling. I no millers at greta have one, been sitting there for years next to there octopus. Not much chance of it travelling again. Even there Nightmare ghostrains starting to sit around a bit.Its up forsale cheap to.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I always thought Temple of Doom was the same unit as Haunted Hotel?
princess

Post by princess »

Zamperla wrote:I always thought Temple of Doom was the same unit as Haunted Hotel?
I always thought that L & L made their own ghost trains
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Zamperla wrote:I always thought Temple of Doom was the same unit as Haunted Hotel?
Temple of Doom is a single story, operated by the Zacchini family.

Thanks for that review Josh, seems like a pretty good event up there with a good lineup, great to hear Stardancer is still getting worked, shame it hasn't been on the road for a while. Yeh know what you mean with workers and the equipment, if the operators are having fun and enjoying their work, the general public will more. I enjoy doing it, especially meeting great people that are loads of fun.

Also found this article from last year's fetival talking about the carnival operators: http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/sto ... al-heroes/
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

TG that's a good article. Don't think I've ever read one about the journo becoming a showie before.

Ahh the joys of working on a dodgem floor with unpredictable drivers. I guess I was lucky to walk away with a sprained wrist after an endless queue of Moomba riders over 10 days. (never looked at it like that until I read this article)
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Josh forgot to mention that "Insanity" (Miami type ride) was there as well. I have to say that this years line-up wasn't one of the best we've had.John Castles Zipper looks like it has finally had a bit of work done to it as well........Deefa.
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

'Insanity' Deef? Thought the only miami type was Ultimate Party Machine?? That being said, It was hard to have a good look at everything with 3 year olds trying to get in line with every ride we walked past!
"Slingshot , Engage"
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Hey guys and Gals, Here's some pics, not the best, as we only had our little camera..

"Slingshot , Engage"
redhot

Post by redhot »

Cool, thanks Josh.
Hope you had a good time there, sounds like your kids did! :D
Carny's built this country, the carnival part of it anyway..."Homer Simpson"

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Great photos, glad to see Kamikaze has had some work with what appears to be new lights on the star, sign and top half of the arm. And the paint on the main tower looks fresh again.