Ekka 2011

Top Gunner14

Re: Ekka 2011

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Joyland's are there setting up Pirate's Revenge, the Jurrasic Coaster and the Rockin' Tug. The former Wild West coaster should hopefully be fully re-themed before the start of the show if not will be done for Adelaide. Be interesting to see photos this year with a different layout
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

why the re-theme to Jurrasic?
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Well currently it doesn't have any themeing/props fitted with the ride as you would've seen from my photos from Huskisson carnival when it was named the Wild West coaster. Just boosting the presentation of it, something different aswell with dinosaurs as it's being marketed to families
benclare

Post by benclare »

The ride list is on the Ekka website now and there are absolutely no surprises and No Limit, Thunderbolt and Power Surge appear to be missing as we thought. Still, it should be a good Show.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

we knew NO LIMIT wouldn't be back
PNC

Post by PNC »

Heaps of gear set up as I drove past tonight, taipan, space roller, crazy coaster, euroslide, hangover ( I think ) , breakdance, disko, ferris wheel, sky flyer, this is just what I seen, the lights went green just as I got there so I didn't get a good look.
Steve07

Post by Steve07 »

awesome thanks PNC for the update on EKKA, its looking good in rides so far to me.... keep us updated???
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Don't mean to scare anyone, but I can't see extreme amongst sideshow alley!! It all looks like a bit of a 'dogs breakfast' the person in charge of layout for this years show needs to find a new job. Hopeless!
ozshowkid

Post by ozshowkid »

Extreme will no longer be coming to Ekka,......... Until Monday sometime we are still doin a show in Qld. You will know when its there.

Cheers Extreme OZ lol
come one, come all, come in its time for a showtime spin
PNC

Post by PNC »

ill be comin to say Hi Oz, probably on the monday i think
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Phew. Thanks for confirming Oz
princess

Post by princess »

Nice interview Oz. I am not a fan of the new wheel, speaking of wheels shame about the one on the gold coast sitting idle.
Last edited by princess on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Oz you hauling it to Adelaide after EKKA?
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

princess wrote:Nice interview Oz. I am not a fan of the new wheel, speaking of wheels shame about the one on the gold coast sitting idle.
Guessing that was on the news, anywhere I can find it?
princess

Post by princess »

It was on channel 7 up in brissy TG, Ekka in the search might help
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

I am heading in first thing in the morning. Must say I don't really have the Ekka vibe yet and with all the changes not sure I'm going to get it.....but I hope I do. This will be my 29th Ekka, not bad for a 30yo. I only missed 2006 when I had my pub in the UK. I average 8 days every year (most years 10) for the last 10 years since I have been a member so I think I make up for that one year I missed.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Funderstruck, you should be awarded an RES Hall of Fame for that effort ;)

yes I think a lot of Brisbane people and show enthusiasts share your cautious sentiments about the "new" EKKA (let's hope it is better than what happened to the "new" Melbourne Showgrounds, with residential apartments and a shopping complex eating up annual show space)
Steve07

Post by Steve07 »

i cant believe that they replaced the great old HUGE wheel for the one i get here at my show, i was looking forward to having a ride on that one year in the future, i havent had a chance to go on that and i wish i did, hopefully it will be back next year, but then i hear it wont be the same for at least 15 years....???

i want to ask some questions about some rides and stuff but no one seams to answer them???
princess

Post by princess »

Steve, have you put you key words into the search engine, many questions you probably want answered on there
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Well off to the show. First Daggy by 9:30am Im hoping lol
princess

Post by princess »

Sounds disgusting funder :) have a great day, I hope all the showies have a great show, great weather, no flu news, no august winds sounds perfect.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Can't wait for the reviews! I could be making a surprise visit some time next week fingers crossed.
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Well back already and very disappointing. The atmosphere isn't there and the big white showbag tent is an eyesore and inside no normal showbag pavillion hype.

Went on Extreme not a bad ride think it would be better in reverse forward gets a bit boring even at the 4.5G top speed.

Disko well what a dissappointment. I went on one of these in the UK and loved it (It was a travelling model too but sure it went higher and faster. This gives the same sort of feeling as hardrock but 50 times lamer.....should be in the kiddie ride section like Rock N Tug does. I also noticed for a new ride it is looking well worn already a few rust spots here and there, bulbs missing ect.

Went on Hardrock straight after, I still love this ride. Some bloke threw up all over his missus that was a good laugh.

Skywalker still hurts my B@!!s lol. Not really a big fan of this ride, I would enjoy it more with Space Roller seats.

Breakdance looks awesome as always, I was hard pressed to find a light bulb out.

Its a shame with the lack of space both roller coasters made it on, I would have prefered to see 3 more rides. If you count Pirates Revenge its actually 3 coasters. There is alot of wasted space, it looks like a dogs breakfast.

Day 1 over for me and I hope I change my mind but strongly feel this is the worst EKKA ever :( Even the showies look disappointed with how it all is.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Mhmm not good at all, saw a newsreport on channel 10 showing the layout and definately a fair bit of wasted space. You didn't get any photos funder? Alot of people are also upset that the Skymaster is no more either, dunno why they got Durkin's small wheel, surely Davis' wheel being bigger would've gained that spot in the main area.

Reason being Disko came out of a park in England that was right on the water, so the salt in the air from the ocean over the years has created a bit of rust over the ride and in the trailer. Agreed they do need to run a longer program on it, went on it at Sydney and definately needed to go longer. I found it quite fun though, more appropriate for families than a thrill ride
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Hmm that would explain it, I thought Disko was purchased new, so I'll let them off then :lol:

No Photos today but brought a new camera tonight so will take some tomorrow and post Saturday.

I am getting hammered with the flu at the moment.....started last night, its like my body knows it's showtime.

It was said 25,000 went through the gates today, I'm sure the RACQ unlimited ride pass from 10am-2pm had alot to do with it.

Yeah I spoke to a lot of people that were not happy the Skymaster was gone. One gentleman in his late 60's proposed to his late wife at the top of the Skymaster the first year it debued in 1965 and they had ridden it together every year till her passing 4 years ago and he had still ridden it alone every year since to keep the tradition and memories, he was visually upset.

RE Davis's wheel yes it is bigger and probably better suited to the main area but IMO the least the RNA could do after 45 years of loyal service is still give Dirkins their spot after scrapping their Chairlift and now Skymaster.

BTW parking at Victoria Park is up to $15 this year and there is alot less area so fills quickly.