Hawkesbury Show 2007

benclare

Hawkesbury Show 2007

Post by benclare »

Well, it's almost that time again. the Hawkesbury Show, one of the largest events in NSW starts this Friday and as usual, it's sure to be a good one with many RES ride operators backing up for this Show.

I will be out there on the first day and would love to catch up with any of you if you can make it that day. Due to the lack of people, it should be fairly easy to find me...

Does anyone know the official ride lineup? Are there any surprises like Turbo for example? I'm guessing bell's, Pavier's, Chants, March's, Watkins's, TPA and others will have their equipment up there. There's sure to be at least one Hurricane and the Rock-N-Roll and maybe even a Roundup and Tilt. I'm getting excited just thinking about it! :D )
princess

Post by princess »

With the change of dates to Bathurst show this year, because of the change to RES dates, there will be more rides at Hawkesbury, than usual, so it definitely should be well worth going, if you can. We will expect a review Ben, we know you wont let us down.
princess

Post by princess »

Where are you Ben, did you go to Hawkesbury, what was it like?
benclare

Post by benclare »

Hello everyone!

Here is my review of the Hawkesbury Show. I was meant to go yesterday but Dad had to work so we put it off until today. Anyway, we had the most unbelievable time and I went on quite a few rides. I’m a little tired, a bit sick in the stomach from all the twisting and turning and my back is a little out of wack after I hurt it slightly on the Crazy Coaster when it jerked forward when I wasn’t expecting it. It is all worth it no doubt about that!

As with the RES, Dad and I headed out there nice and early. I was a bit worried about the rain which fell overnight but my prayers were answered and it cleared up just in time. :D I don’t usually pray for dry weather, what with the current drought and everything but I sure did today and it worked!

Anyway, the rides at this year’s Hawkesbury Show include: Ali Baba, Alpine Express, Crazy Coaster, Crazy Rider, Dodgems, Energy Storm, Extreme Speed, Flashdance, Ghost Train, Hard Rock, Hurricane, Mega Drop, Music Trip, No Limit, Power Surge, Ranger, Scorpion, Slingshot, Space Roller, Super Sizzler, Thunderbolt and the Wave Swinger. I’m sure to have left a few out but that covers most of the major rides. One thing that did surprise me was that the Skyview Wheel, a major drawcard to the Royal Easter Show was there, located on the edge of the main carnival, close to the Flashdance and Ranger. How they dismantled it, transported it from Homebush and reassembled it in such a short time I’ll never know but it sure was mission accomplished and the big wheel was drawing large crowds as it was at the RES although the queues were moving much quicker.

Despite the iffy weather, there were enough people to keep the rides running although I did find myself alone on some of them which is fun but a little embarrassing too as there are always lots of people watching you and you’re the centre of attention.

Our first ride was one of our favourites, March’s Wave Swinger. For some reason they didn’t have any music playing but the ride was working perfectly and we got a really long go because we were the only two on it. I love the Wave Swinger and could ride it all day long without getting sick!

Then it was the Crazy Coaster which was located nearby. There was a slight problem with it after we got on; they were waiting for some light to change colour and it didn’t and just as we thought the ride had broken down, off we went and everything went well. I think the wet weather had some affect on the rides as there was a lot of mud around and the cables were resting in it but that was the only real incident we witnessed.

After a short break, we continued through the carnival, into the really big thrill area with rides like No Limit, Speed and the Power Surge which all operated close together. The most popular by far was Speed but No Limit started attracting customers just before we left.

As for No Limit, what can I say that hasn’t been said already? This machine is amazing, utterly crazy and very terrifying! There’s no doubt you’re pulling close to 5 G’s as the ride spins upside down, then drops you headfirst towards the ground, stopping a very few metres from it. I’m fairly sure Elwyn Bell was operating it and he was great, talking pretty much through the ride cycle and playing a very appropriate song on the sound system, No Limit by 2Unlimited… One thing that really fascinates me about No Limit is the sound of it. It’s an indescribable whoosh that isn’t loud but is enough to be very appealing and makes you take notice right away. It’s like something is flying above your head and of course it is! Obviously you don’t pay attention to such things when you’re onboard but I could stand in front of it and watch and listen for ages.

The Hurricane was doing great business but I didn’t ride it this time, a pity in a way because I missed it so much at the RES. I think it was Young’s unit but I don’t know for sure. Anyway, hearing that ride in action confirmed to me I was in a carnival and I was thrilled about that!

I rode Pavier’s Scorpion later in the day and was the only one on it. I liked it a lot but it made me very dizzy indeed and I wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to get down the steps without falling. The operator, an English fellow was extremely cool, explaining the ride’s movements to me before we started and told me over and over to yell out if I wanted to get off. I found all operators I encountered to be extremely helpful and a lot of fun.

Anyway, I needed a rest after the Scorpion but headed for Chant’s Flashdance soon after. What an utterly awesome ride this was! It was doing great business, the sound system was pumping out the Rogue Traders and the operator did all the “scream if you want to go faster” routines before pushing the machine to its utmost speed. This ride is so cool!

We made sure to look at every ride in action, even if we didn’t ride them all. O’Neil’s ranger, located right next to the Flashdance was doing big business and was full most of the time. Absolutely no one went on the Mega Drop at first but it got going in the afternoon and attracted a large number of spectators as well as riders. The slingshot did nothing all day; perhaps the $30.00 price is a bit much for the Hawkesbury Show crowds which consisted mainly of young families with little kids. It might be doing better tonight with more teenagers around but its something I’m sure the operators of that ride are looking at.

There were a few good rides missing from the carnival, namely the Cliff Hanger, Chaos, Breakdance, Rainbow, Techno Jump and Zipper. For all that, the rescheduled Royal Bathurst Show allowed for many new rides to hit the Hawkesbury Show carnival. Hard Rock and Mega Drop don’t usually do Hawkesbury but both were there this year.

If you’re thinking of heading out to the Hawkesbury Show which ends on April 29, I can definitely recommend it! I will undoubtedly be heading back there next year where there’s sure to be another awesome selection of rides.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

what a top variety of rides - it certainly is a huge show.

Thanks for sharing that review, I was surprised to read the Sky View wheel was there - was good reading about your experience on No Limit.
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks Ben, your review gave me a bit of a fix, so to speak, I also love watching No Limit, it is truly an awesome experience and that is just watching.

Ok now for the insensitive part, Ben sounds like your disability helps get you longer rides, mmmmmmmmm, not that I am saying we should all get white canes lol :lol: but it is definitely something to consider :wink: was that not politically correct, Love ya.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Don't worry, I'm the most politically incorrect guy around. :lol: Yes I do seem to get very long rides which is great but does nothing for my stomach. I'm not sure whether it's because of my disability, I would never dream of using it to my advantage and never ask for any favours but the ride ops are so cool and I think it spins them out(excuse the pun)that I like rides so much.
princess

Post by princess »

It would be interesting if you could do a sound thing for us, so we could listen to what you do, sound is so important to a carnival, I must say I loved hearing "Put your hands up for Detroit"this year in the carnival area of the easter show, it makes me want to move and have some fun. :lol: :shock:
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

i think i need to work on RAINBOW next year in sydney, so i can give them some real and NEW music to play.... pathetic tunes played this year! lol
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

If I can make it up to NSW for 2008, I think a trip to Hawksbury is well in order from what I've read.

Can anyone confirm whose Hurri it was?
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yeah the sound of the rides in action and a great tune blasting out of a good music system never fail to draw me in and are major parts of the whole experience for me. I also like operator interactivity as seen on rides like Flashdance, Breakdance, No Limit and Space Roller. You know you're in for a good time even before you board as you are constantly told it's partytime or you can fly on this ride! The Ranger is a little more difficult for interactivity, mainly due to the enclosed cages but the operator usually says something like "plenty of over the top action" before the ride starts.

Speaking of the Ranger, I was having a little browse of You Tube and I came across this awesome video of two girls on the Ranger. It features the entire ride cycle and you can hear the sound that this machine is so famous for. Also, you can hear the Flashdance or Breakdance going in the background. Just go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHiUu8uC_Qw to view and listen to it.

If you do make it up here again next year Zamperla, Hawkesbury Show is well worth the trip. It's a real country atmosphere with capital city attractions. The Hawkesbury District Agricultural Association pride themselves on attracting major shows and carnival rides. The showground is quite large, just across the road from the Richmond Airbase. Actually, I heard the Mega Drop, Skyview Wheel and Slingshot had to have special winking lights installed to alert passing RAAF aircraft. The big wheel would've undoubtedly offered excellent views of the airbase and the nearby Blue Mountains.

Hope to see more of you at Hawkesbury next year!
princess

Post by princess »

Well now that you mention it Huss, I dont remember any music at all coming from Rainbow, can you confirm Zamperla, I do remember the music for Hard Rock.

As for Hawkesbury next year sounds like a great idea, not sure about what will be there next year, they got an extra roll up because of Bathurst not conflicting, I believe that next year the RES wont be in the school holidays, so Bathurst might be on at the same time as Hawkesbury again.
benclare

Post by benclare »

I can confirm the Bathurst Show will be held on the last weekend in February next year, the same time as Canberra which will probably be a major letdown in the rides department for both shows.

Also, I don't know the exact dates but the RES will be held during the school holidays as it was this year. This may change but it's definitely how things stand at the moment. This all bodes well for Hawkesbury which should have another bumper carnival.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Yes there was definately music playing on Rainbow when we rode it, I can't recall what sort, I was too busy enjoying the view and airtime to give it much attention. Was it just me, or did anyone else notice the extra breeze being generated every time the gondola swooped down? I was quite happy to stand in front or to the side of it and catch a refreshing blast of wind every few seconds to counter the Sydney heat.

Speaking of this, I was told a very funny story from a friend in Canada - some staff promoting a food product decided to pitch their little marketing tent right to the side of the Rainbow. The carnival had opened, and all was going OK till the Rainbow experienced its first fully loaded gondola - it generated such a sudden burst of air that the back of the tent caught it like a sail - it blew the whole stand to pieces in a flash (luckily for all concerned nothing resulted but a few laughs from witnesses and a gloating rainbow op murmering "I told you so" to the stunned-mullet marketing students running the tent)
kiwi

Skyview Wheel

Post by kiwi »

I have heard that this ride requires 15 trailers, can anyone confirm this. How long does the show go for and how busy is it. I can't work out how travelling such a large ride could be worthwhile.

Cheers
Kiwi
princess

Post by princess »

Well the music was'nt very memorable, I do like it loud.

Whoa, Kiwi, I would suggest that Rainbow, if this is the ride you are talking about would only be a 1 trailer ride, it looks a very compact ride, but I am definitely not an expert, over to you Huss or Zamperla.

Nice story about Rainbow, but I have not felt that draft, (gale) you must show me next time.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Very funny story about the food stand in Canada! I can see how that happened as all my Rainbow experiences have included a draft coming from it. Apart from the sound of it, the wind is usually how I can tell I am standing close to it. Extreme Speed also generates this draft.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Rainbow is 3 - 3.5 trailers. (all that heavy quality steel - she ain't no Ali Baba)

Kiwi was referring to the Skyview - perhaps Mondial would have some specs
benclare

Post by benclare »

Despite the Skyview Wheel's huge size, it must be fairly easy to assemble and tear down as my Grandmother who lives close to Hawkesbury Showbround told me the entire ride was packed up by Monday afternoon. I would've thought it would take at least two weeks to put up and a couple of days to take down.
PNC

Post by PNC »

i always thought rainbow was 2 trailers

and if the skyview wheel does pack up and assemble that easy it will be a sure success for the owner, it will make it easier to use alot more often
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Australian road regulations for maximum loads make it unable to carry the main arms alongside the base, unlike Europe. (I believe the same restrictions apply in the USA, giving reason to the limited number of HUSS 2+ trailer rides operating at carnivals now-days)

1 for the base / hub
1 for the arms / platforms / 1 counterweight
1 for the gondola (and possibly another load of extra platforms, fences and other counterweight) - with the counterweights alone weighing close to 4 tonnes, it gives some understanding on why it is not used as frequently as more compact rides.
Last edited by Zamperla on Thu May 03, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
princess

Post by princess »

Smokin, Zamperla, I would never of thought that Rainbow was than complicated to transport, looks like it would all drop onto the 1 trailer, but then I am just a girl (i wish), you amaze me with your knowledge, but then I do know how much you pick peoples brains lol :D :roll: old mr have a chat!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

sorry to correct you guys, but pavier's supper sizzler wasn't there this year. Also, the techno jump has never come (well lauries have never bought any of their rides), durkin's never bring their rides except when the claw 1st came in 2000, they bought it and never came again. No one bought their zipper and we haven't had the breakdance for a couple of years now. Also the hurricane at hawkesbury was young's unit and the rok n roll wasn't there. My mate who operates young's hurricane said they couldn't get a site for it. Oh well, maybe next year.

cheers
Top Gunner14
Top Gunner13

Post by Top Gunner13 »

the best ride topgunner14 had at hawkesbury was a big you gussed it!
he rode it for hours!
he went in to the bathroom at 8am with the guy and came out at 8pm!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

You guys are idiots Tom and Dave :!: :!: :!: