Hawkesbury Show 2008 (Review and Pics added)

Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Speed is at toowoomba. Yeh, ES is looking much better
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

what an awesome show, shame garry doesnt get rainbow on... aww well
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I know, its pretty crap that rainbow doesnt go. Was talkin to the ops last year and they reckon there isnt a site big enough forit(bulls***!!!) Yeh its a great show, last year was probly the best year
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I also think hawkesbury is the only regional show that O'Neill's ranger does(correct me if im wrong)
benclare

Post by benclare »

Hello everyone!

I've just gotten home from a fantastic day at the Hawkesbury Show. As Topgunner said, the ride lineup was down on last year's but considering the amount of events going throughout NSW and QLD this weekend, Hawkesbury did well to secure some of the best rides in the country.

I managed to do quite a few rides but had to miss quite a few too because they weren't operating. This was quite disappointing but the amusement area didn't officially open until 3:00 PM or so which was when I had to leave unfortunately. This meant I couldn't ride the Space Roller, Ranger, Alpine Express, Ali Baba, Tilt and quite a few others. Some of these rides were still being set up which was surprising and some were just sitting idol without anyone selling tickets. :o TPA, Young's, Ozbourne's and Bell's had their gear operating very early which was so excellent for me and later March's and Sam Evans's Energy Storm got going. I'm really sorry I couldn't catch up with you Oz. I went passed Space Roller several times hoping to catch you but there was absolutely no one around. :(

Crazy Coaster

I rode this one three times throughout the day, including once with Mum who plucked up the courage to come on with me! We purchased the photo at the end of the ride and it's pretty funny as Mum has her eyes closed and is screaming; she did enjoy it though! :lol:

Cliff Hanger

I do like this ride but would much prefer it if you didn't have to lie down. This strange position does make you feel a little dizzy and I couldn't help thinking what would happen if the ride were to collapse. Still, I enjoyed the experience, very much like the old Paratrooper. :)

No Limit

Elwin Bell you're an absolute wizz at operating this ride! Due to the fact there weren't many people around, the ride cycle was extremely intense and extremely long, lasting for more than three minutes I'd say! The sound system was awesome too and was playing this cute tune about flying high and then a dance combo Huss would've been proud of. My Grandparents who came to the Show with me couldn't even look at NL without feeling sick and were amazed at the speed and height of this Mondial monster. :D :)

Hurricane

This was Young's unit and it gave an excellent ride as it did at Castle Hill, speeding up and slowing down several times, keeping the rider guessing. the ride shuddered a bit as it got started but went well once it picked up speed. :D

Cha Cha

Again this was Young's unit and the fellow remembered me from Castle Hill! A great long ride with some very intense moments; I now have a bruise on my right side and arm but it was all worth it! :D

Wave Swinger

This was still being set up when I first got there but was running just before I left so I got to have a go. To be totally honest, the ride has seen better days and I noticed a bit of rust creeping up the chains on the chair I was riding. The motor also sounded very loud. For all that, it operated well and gave a good long ride cycle. :D

Energy Storm

I think Matty said ages ago this ride is like the Scorpion. He is exactly right. the only real difference is that the Scorp leans to one side once at full speed whilst ES turns upside down. An ultra smooth ride with lots of rotation and a long ride cycle.

Skyview Wheel

I didn't ride this one but stood and watched for some time. Next to no one was riding, a big contrast to the RES when you can't get near it but I'm sure crouds will pick up over the weekend.

The verdict.

This is always an impressive Show and this year didn't disappoint. The organisers and the Guild ought to be congratulated for putting on such a great carnival. If I could make a suggestion. If all rides could be set up and running when the Show opens on Friday morning, the amusement companies would earn more money. I know there were only a few people around but there were certainly enough to operate rides and there were quite a few disappointed people, including myself who could've had a go and would've payed good money to do so.

I did feel intensely sorry for the game operators who spruiked their little hearts out and didn't get much attention. I didn't play anything either but I did say Gday to some; you guys have a difficult job to do!

One more thing. I'm also sorry I didn't catch up with you Topgunner; I had to leave before you arrived and I am really disappointed about not seeing you. :( Have a fantastic time and we all look forward to your review.
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks Ben, great review. How strange that some of these rides are not ready to go when the show opens, they have had over a week to set up, from Sydney, at least you got to ride a few.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

I wonder if Space Roller is still playing my tunes, haha ill have a heap more for ya when Melbourne Show comes around!

thanks for the review benny
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

No probs ben, theres always next time, great review as always. Im just about to go away for a week for holidays and wont be back until next weekend so cant do the review and pics. Sorry everyone

Cheers
Top Gunner14
benclare

Post by benclare »

Can't wait for your contribution Topgunner; have a good holiday!
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

Hey, im new and i tried to post some pics of my eastershow visit, but i dont know how to. Please tell me because i have some great pics id love to share with yous. Thank you. :D
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

http://www.imageshack.us/

hope this helps. Just upload the pics and then paste the links from image to your thread hear. Good luck!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Ill be back sat aand do thepics sunday, if wondering why im still writing is cause im on the internet kiosk in nelsons bay!!!
princess

Post by princess »

What dedication, must admit I was overseas last year, I also had to get my updates and I was in the biggest city in the world. :lol:
benclare

Post by benclare »

You lucky bugger being in Nelson Bay although I suspect it's cold and a little rainy up there? Still, it's good to be on holidays.

When I was in Papua New Guinea, I tried to keep up to date with AAF but the Net was so slow, I found out what computer rage was like!

Can't wait for your review and pics when you return Topgunner.
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Energy storm is an awesome ride, agreed though that it doesn't look very appealing walking past it. Almost like it needs a backdrop or something?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I think it used to have a backdrop, but I'm not sure. Also what did the actual unit look like? I couldn't really see it that clearly in Top Gunner's shot. Cause this time last year it was just dreadful.
benclare

Post by benclare »

I'm not sure how it looked but it seemed to operate really well; perhaps it has been refurbished recently. ES was also attracting quite a few riders in a nearly empty carnival which was encouraging.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

It was looking better than last year. Yes they do have a backdrop too and was operating well as ben said. Review and pics should be up tommorrow morning, sorry to keep everyone waiting :D
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Well Hawkesbury Show 2008, come and gone for another year. What a great weekend i had too. Had perfect weather, good crowds and a very fun time. With this years show clashing with a heap of others up and down the East Coast, the ride lineup was certainly down since last years. ALot of rides missing for reasons for being sold to other operators, retiring and others just simply doing another event. Rides that were missing this year were the likes of Flashdance, Thunderbolt, Speed, Scorpion, Roc N Roll, Power Surge, Hard Rock, Mega Drop, Crazy Rider, Ferrari 500's, Supa Sizzler and a whole heap of others. But still, great to see the zipper back with its truck having an accident last year and some others back too.

SkyView Wheel: Very suprised to see the mammoth wheel back for a second year in a row. Looking fantastic at night with all the lights in all the sequences, the sign lighten up just about lighting up all the showground. Was busy all the time with queves up both sides of the ticket box. Didnt go on it but did go on at Sydney, a great wheel and good to see it back.

Ranger: Another favourite back again to the show, looking very good and clean, most lights working, and is always busy, O'Neills must make a killer with this, Saturday night, constantly running full loads and giving a great ride cycle. Lots of fast looping hearing the screaming of the patrons and the great sound of those drive shafts spinning. Always great to see it return every year to our show.

Cha Cha: As always at any show, the classic cha cha is always going to be popular and it was that. Very popular with the young and old, giving a great long ride cycle and picking up some great speed, running very fast. All lighting working on the ride and on the fencing and looked really well looked after.

Hurricane: Also back for another year, Young's Hurricane very popular. Looked great at night with the tube lights all working and had that classic look with all the lights on. Giving a good ride cycle, the cracks of the air were very loud and heaps of bouncing, a great ride.

Music Trip: Picking up some great speed and a long ride cycle. Was much more popular than what it was at Castle Hill and the operator as always giving heaps of interaction with the riders.

Tilt A Whirl: I've been waiting all year to ride this and i finally got my chance. Looking great with that classic feel to it, was pretty popular over the weekend too. Giving a fantastic long ride cycle and this was spinning very fast. As you come down those hills, we probably spun non stop for at least 10 seconds. And then back the other way just spinning constantly. A great fun ride as always and a very great classic that we are lucky to keep having at the show.

Zipper: Making a return with its absence from last years show. And it was back better and meaner. The cars had been repainted since the last time i saw it and the backwall was looking great just the paintwork slightly fading. All the lights had been removed from the main boom and was very bare at night, but the sign had been re-bulbed and looked very bright. A had a ride and it was pretty average, there was more rocking back and forth than flipping, some intense momonts at times then others a bit boring. But a great long ride cycle and working in both directions. And great to see it back at the show.

Space Roller: Looking great as ever, even without the signs, the ride is in great shape since the ride made its aussie debut. Not a light bulb not working and the sound system was pumping with some great tunes of house and lechno and electro. Id say they're Huss's tunes. Good to hear they are getting played. Was very popular with queves up both sides of the ride and im sure Russel was making a heap of money. I can see why this party machine just keeps coming back to Hawkesbury. Had a ride with some bloke ive never seen operating before. Wasnt a great long ride but some intense moments, was running pretty fast forwards and backwards. Not the best ride ive had on it but still fun and a great ride.

Alpine Express: Had no compertition this year with thunderbolt retiring, the ride was in alright shape, the artwork on the wall has been repainted with cartoon looking people and wasnt looking that great. Running at an ok speed in both directions and a long ride cycle.

Energy Storm: Returning for another year and the ride is looking in much better shape that last year. Still all the lights are midled up with red lights on a blue painted part and etc. Yes had the back wall/tarp and that added a bit more to the presentation. Running very fast and spinning upside down with some scary moments. Giving a great long ride cycle and was prety popular too

WaveSwinger: Looking fantastic and popular too. Very unfortunate for March's as the machine broke down Sat arvo and just wouldnt work right through sat night where the show is at its busiest and the ride is always ver, very popular in this period too. Dont think it ran for most of the weekend, very unfortunate.

No Limit: I just had to have a ride. Wasnt to popular on Fri night but Sat night, you couldnt move around the ride. Looking fantastic and the sound system pumping with great tunes. I couldnt resist not riding so i jumped on and had a go. I decided to ride at night and a good choice i made. The restrains closed, then the sond of the fan started and we were of swinging back and forth then reaching the top, brake released, the strobe flashing right in our faces and soaring right back down. Up the top again and we swooped through the station upside down, a great long ride for 3 min then the ride slowed down and we were backin the station. Now that ive conqured it, i just cant stop riding it. A great ride, and great to have a ride like this in OZ.

My last show and review for a couple of months until Penrith show. Hope everyone has enjoyed the pics from all the shows and the reviews. Sorry Oz, i didnt get a pic of ur ghost train, very sorry. All the other rides doing great like crazy coaster, euro slide and everything else.

ENJOY!!!

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

GREAT REVIEW!! 10/10. i wish i went. all the rides looked good. i want to ride energy storm some time again. i rode it once at the sydney show ages ago. do you think it will ever return to sydney show?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Great review! Energy Storm is looking alot better than it was last year. I hope it returns to the Greek Festival in Brisbane this year.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yep it was worth waiting for your review which was great as usual.

Pity about the Waveswinger, perhaps I did something to it on Friday arvo! :lol: I did comment it was a little run down; March's need to take it offroad for a little while and give it some tender loving care I think.

Totally agree about No Limit. The ride cycle you experienced was the same as Friday morning but there were probably more people around when you were there because there was no one earlier on!

Thanks again for all your hard work. It is very much appreciated. :D My show experiences are also over for a few months; perhaps until September when I'm hoping to get down to the Adelaide Show.
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Top Gunner14 wrote:Alpine Express: Had no compertition this year with thunderbolt retiring,
Thunderbolt Retiring ???? I didn't think Thunderbolt had been around that long ????
benclare

Post by benclare »

Thunderbolt is still travelling but due to a staff shortage at Bell's, it's not doing as many shows as it used to. As for its age, I'm guessing it's from the early 90's or late 80's; I'm fairly sure it was brand new when it came to Grundy's in Surfers Paradise.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Fantastic review and pics, guys!!!

Just luv the fluro lighting / presentation on Hurricane! Sorry - whose Zipper is that one? It does look a bit weird with the boom lights missing - hopefully they have plans to complete the makeover,,,,,

Thanks Topgunner for all your photos of your recent shows you've been to - I'm sure it's appreciated by all the AAF members,,,,

Cheers,

Jaffa23