2011 Sydney Royal Easter Show

Tayz

Re: 2011 Sydney Royal Easter Show

Post by Tayz »

The weather doen't look to good
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

No it wasn't, easter saturday through to the last day it rained. Also rained a fair bit on the first saturday. We were on track for a pretty good show, then that just stuffed it up for everyone unfortunately
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

2011 was my sixth visit to our world famous Sydney Royal Easter Show, and not having very high expectations I was still excited to be back at Homebush.
With the absence of Rainbow and our other favourite classic rides, I wasn't planning on spending too much time around Australia Avenue. The midway this year was still bright and colourful, especially on opening day, with perfect weather and a flourish of teens to the area. I have to admit, I was very pleased with the carnival this year, noticing the past few years that I don't really ride much anymore, I moreso just walk around, take a few photos, maybe ride one or two rides then leave. This year was 12 hours of amazing fun and I got to experience some rides that I have put off for many years. XXXL was my first big achievement, just by looking at the ride, I felt nauseous even before stepping onto the platform. Five minutes later it was all over, and I enjoyed every second. What an amazing rush this ride creates, I really enjoyed the free swinging of the gondola's at the end of the ride.
No Limit, as you all know has been my biggest fear, and I now can finally say that I did it, and it was soo amazing! This ride is definetly more fun than it looks, and once you're strapped in and heading face first towards the ground, you know you're in for some real adrenaline action! Cannot wait to take another ride in a few months.
Fear was a joke of a rollercoaster, the former "Cool & Fresh" Visa coaster really is just a large mess that takes up far too much space on the midway. Surely this ride cannot be back next year. It was popular for a few hours during the wrist band promotion, but failed to gain full loads past 4pm. OCS must see that this ride isn't proving to be the financial success that they hoped, and is nothing of a money maker compared to the Ex-Wittingslow 'AWARD WINNING' Huss Rainbow.
Overall it was great to be back, it still lived up to it's status of "Best Show in Australia" but the atmosphere still lacks, and it felt like this year organisers really are losing the plot as to locating rides on the midway. Ranger looks good behind Space Roller, but just looked cluttered and left people a bit puzzled as to how to get onto the ride. Am I the only one who would LOVE to see a completely different layout for 2012? Probably asking too much. All I want is Rainbow back for the 2012 show, otherwise, I had a fantastic year, and I got to ride the following - Crazy Coaster, Ali Baba, XXXL, Pirates Revenge, Sky Flyer, Speed, Space Roller, Fear, No Limit, Rock N Roll, Taipan, Wave Swinger, Disk'O and the Skymaster Wheel...

Finally here are my photos.....

Enjoy,
Chris
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Thanks for the photo's, as I would expect everything looked top notch
Cheers
Kiwi
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Awesome photos thanks mate. Yeh after next year Fear will be no show as I said it's on a 3 yr contract. All gear was looking top notch as usual. Let's hope that Huss machine returns next year
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Great photos as always HUSSR. Good to read you experienced Australia's greatest thrill rides. What did you think of Disk-O?

Here are some quick 2011 facts on this year's Show (key figures in bold... $$$$)

Carnival
Showgoers at the Coca-Cola Carnival enjoyed 57 rides and 47 games;
20,000 brave Showgoers came out the other side of the newest and scariest attraction – Hollywood Horrors;
• The top four rides were the Hollywood Horrors, Taipan Rollercoaster, Crazy Spinning Coaster and the Skyview Wheel.

Showbags
• Keen to take home a piece of the Show, punters purchased 1.7 million Showbags. The clear favourites were Harry Potter, Coca-Cola, Madison, Dare, Tim Tam's, Dora the Explorer and Hello Kitty.

Entertainment
• Woodchopping athletes chopped through 3,000 blocks of wood;
• The Toyota V6 HiLux Heroes drove 500 laps of the Commonwealth Bank Arena, travelling 1,120 kilometres over the 14 days of the Show;
• The Wild Ride of Cobb & Co raced more than 30 laps in the Commonwealth Bank Arena, with 64 horses.

Agricultural experiences
• The Show was home to the famous District Exhibit display where 50,000 pieces of fruit and vegetables were judged over five days by 50 judges from across NSW;
• The Dairy Farmers Farmyard Animal Nursery hosted a whopping 1,000 animals with 500,000 hands petting them over the course of the Show;
• More than 1,200 animals were on Show in the Grand Parades;
• More than 10,000 showgoers had a hands-on experience milking cows in the Dairy Famers Milking Barn;
• 220 cows were milked over the two-week period, making 5,000 litres of milk, butter and cream;
• Our show farrier was kept busy in the horse pavilions, with over 100 horses to shoe
• In the Sheep Pavilion, 220 sheep were shorn, yielding 8 bales of wool;
• The Poultry Pavilion was kept busy with 3,000 entries;
• Education was the key at the Food Farm; 400,500 people passed through the doors and more than 33,000 copies of the Junior Farmhands Activity Book were given away for free;
• New for 2011 was Youth in Agriculture Day. 300 young people from across Australia came along to help promote young people's involvement in agriculture. Sixty-four young men and women were put through their paces in the entertaining Young Farmer Challenge.

Food
• Over 20,000 tubs of fresh fruit were sold at the District Exhibits; Hungry Showgoers also gobbled up 500kg of honey, 20,000 apples, 3000kg of watermelon and 10,000 cheese packs;
• The Australian Women's Weekly Kitchen presented 182 live cooking demonstrations; There were 45,000 individual tastings, using 2 truckloads of fruit and vegetables, 60kg of chicken, 60kg of quail, 150kg meat and 120kg pork;
• In excess of 36,000 scones were made and sold with tender love and care by our favourite ladies from the Country Women's Association;
• In a clear show of support to Australia's aquaculture industry, 300,000 oysters were downed and 60,000 prawns were eaten at the De Costi Seafood stand in the Dome;
• A mountainous 4,000 turkey legs were sold, around 30,000 corns on the cob were eaten, a gigantic 300,000 bags, sticks and tubs of fairy floss were devoured and 15,000 cupcakes were enjoyed along with 218,000 cups of coffee; A whopping 201,500 Dagwood Dogs were eaten, 30,000 cheese on a stick, 50,000 strawberries and 100 tubs of ice cream were used to make the famous strawberries and cream;
• Debuting at the Show was the chip on a stick – 5,000 of these were eaten and 35,000 traditional lemonades washed everything down.

Competitions
• The Show offered the richest agricultural Show prize pool in Australia – over $750,000 in cash prizes and 15,000 trophies, certificates and medals were awarded over the 14 days of the Show;
• Exhibitors were kept busy preparing 4,622 entries for the Sydney Royal Arts Show.

The Sydney Royal Easter Show is a Hallmark Event - recognised by the NSW Government for its economic and social contribution to Sydney and the state of NSW.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Disk'O was nothing special im afraid
RexDragon

Post by RexDragon »

Good review, Huss, and great photos. Hoping for better rides in 2012's RES too.
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

Hey all just thought I'd put up a few photos from the kids carnival area for anyone interested.

Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

thanks for those Hardrock. Who owns Adventure Island Family Flume Ride?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

OCS
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

What is Psychodelic? Is it a unique funhouse type ride?
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Psychodelic IMO is nothing special - it's a walk through ride, made it's debut at last year's Ekka along with Holly Wood of Horrors. Never given it a go, looks quite lame. Each room has an optical illusion with lights and lasers...

Awesome Photo's Chris - thanks for sharing.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I went in Psychodelic at the EKKA and I found it to be a smaller version of Infinity, was quite fun!
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

ah thanks for that answer HUSSR. I see the last photo of the slide has survived for 1 more year before being removed for good. I think the owner tried to go down the heritage path to no avail, to try and save it
princess

Post by princess »

Really dont know why they are getting rid of the slide, its in an area thats not that busy, out of the way imo, at least it is a good filler.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks for the rest of the photos mate. I thought Psychodelic was excellent, great walk thru considering it was home-made by Darren Miller, his done a fantastic job building it into 2 shipping containers. Yeh Adventure Island somehow got the gold award for kids ride, have no idea how they achieved that tbh...
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I could have sworn it was TPA that owned it but anyway... I had some comp FJF or TPA Shows Tickets (can't remember which) and I was told they could be used on Hollywood Horrors and Pyschodelic. The one in Australia is basically a smaller version of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnEsPQFBrZ8

WARNING: Some mild course language and other random crap that is just awesome.
princess

Post by princess »

Loved the Youtube clip Hurricane, made me laugh, I am quite impressed with Pyschodelic, they seem to have actually put some effort into this, loved the music, thanks for that Hurri. :D
Last edited by princess on Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

I'm sure it is owned by TPA aswell. My mate's missus worked it at Brisbane last year.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Hollywood Horrors is FJF, owned by Jamie Pickett and Jay Jones. Yeh well we accept FJF and TPA comp's on our rides aswell as their own. But I haven't heard of anyone from the Pickett's having anything to do with Psycodelic, just know it was built by Darren Miller and owned by him
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Hmmm... I might have to ask them next time I see them, but I am with Funderstruck on this one. I'm about 90% that it's either FJF or TPA as I got my comps from Emily herself and she told me they could be used on Psychodelic.
princess

Post by princess »

They all could have agreements with one another about accepting comps.
The Limit

Post by The Limit »

Thanks for all the good feedback on the no limit guys next year make sure you come and say hi and it was nice to catch up with top gunner 14 and his kids ride at the show :lol:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

princess wrote:They all could have agreements with one another about accepting comps.
Yes they do... eg. we accept TPA and FJF coupons and visa versa.

Yeh the work experience kid you mean Limit? :lol: