2011 Sydney Royal Easter Show

benclare

Re: 2011 Sydney Royal Easter Show

Post by benclare »

Just got home from an awesome day at the Show. I'm in a tearing hurry so review will be up soon but just wanted to let you know a few things.

1. Fear broke down again today at roughly the same area of track as last year's incident, about 2 thirds of the way up. I was right there at the time, queuing for the Waveswinger when it happened. There were four people onboard at the time and mobile phone cameras were shooting big time! I could've cried for O'neill's who have invested a lot of time and money into this coaster. I don't know what the future is for it but I still hope they can get it working for the remainder of the show which is of course almost all of it. I am quite sure no one was injured but I was a bit worried the car might start rolling down the lift hill. I know the operators were trying to budge it by hand but with little success.

2. An absolutely massive thanks to a fantastic fellow from March Amusements who gave me two free tickets to the RES! To cut a long story short, this fellow found out I am an AAF member and was thrilled I was enjoying their rides so much so he gave me two tickets which I plan to use very soon. What a total legend eh?

That's all for now, a full review hopefully tonight. I also hope Fear is working again!
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Good stuff Ben. Glad you had a good time. A real pity about Fear.
princess

Post by princess »

Sounds like you had a great day Ben, great work March amusements
benclare

Post by benclare »

Well here's my brief review.

I got out to the Show nice and early and got my unlimited rides wrist band no worries on the dot of 10:00. Although the weather was sunny and not too hot with a lovely breeze blowing through the carnival area, it still got a bit uncomfortable with a lack of shadey areas to sit and rest. I know we have talked about this on AAF several times before!

Anyway, the carnival atmosphere was fantastic and although it wasn't too crouded early, people started really coming in after 11:00 and lines for just about every ride lengthened considerably. I was fortunate to do quite a lot of rides and I thank Dad who I dragged around with me all day. He missed out a bit as he now has a heart problem which prevents him from going on rides with me.

Fear

I had forgotten just how scary this coaster really is! I think I was the first one there after it was tested throughout this morning and at the time all was working fine. You are pretty much flat on your back as you slowly climb up the tower which seems to take forever. Once you reach the top, you speed along a small flat area before you tilt forward and literally dive head first into the loop which is rough and very noisy! I'd say the ride cycle takes about forty seconds and is quite a thrill although you probably wouldn't want to do it more than once at a time. As I said, Fear malfunctioned later in the day, just after 2:00 I'd say but I'm yet to see anything on the news about it so hopefully this was a smaller incident than last year's.

Ranger

Not too much hang time on this one but what really sets this ride apart from other Kamikazes is its almost constant swing movement and of course the sound of the machine which is great IMO! O'Neill's were doing well with it too, attracting large numbers of riders who were having a ball!

Techno Jump

If there was ever an award for most comfortable ride at the show, I reckon TJ would be in with a big chance. It's quite relaxing to ride and the seating is fantastic! I always think of Princess and Zamperla whenever I do this one as they introduced me to it some years ago. I totally loved that day!

Breakdance

I was initially reluctant to do this one as it sometimes makes me feel a bit sick. While I didn't feel sick today, the ride was going unbelievably fast and my neck was almost pulled out of wack. Still, I survived it and got down the steps without falling over!

Rock-n-roll

While this doesn't swing as much as Thunderbolt, I now reckon it goes as fast and is as thrilling in my oppinion. I had to laugh as they were playing dance music, not rock at first but then they put Jumping Jack Flash on as we started so that was okay.

Waveswinger

Nearly didn't do this one but the line wasn't too much so thought why not? Totally loved it and ended up having two goes on it because it was relaxing and cool.

Sky Flier

Talk about cool! It was very windy at the top but excellent too and one of my faves!

Disk'o

For some reason this ride was more of a thrill here than at LPS at Christmas. I don't think it was operating any faster but perhaps the music did something as there was none when the ride operated at Luna Park. Hugely popular with big queue lines.

No Limit

Lines weren't too long for this initially but the ride operated full each cycle so Bells would've been happy. A very long and thrilling ride cycle that was slow to start but really picked up towards the end. I know there are loads of thrill rides on Australia's midways like Speed, Insanity etc but IMO, No limit is still a small cut above the rest. It does something the others don't but I can't name what that is. It's utterly terrifying and thrilling at the same time and I don't think it has been matched as yet!

Power Surge

Didn't ride this one today but went over to see if I could meet you TG and I'm sure I heard you on the microphone; you sounded great! I didn't want to interrupt you because you sounded very busy but will hopefully have a chance to say G'day next time I'm at the Show, compliments of March Amusements of course!

I went and looked at all the other rides operating and all were fine except Fear which broke down after lunch and Raupen Bahn which wasn't operating most of the day. I don't know what was wrong there!

I am very glad I came back for the RES. Sure Rainbow isn't there which is disappointing but the atmosphere is still amazing. Perhaps they'll pull Fear down and put Rainbow in its place? Wishful thinking I am sure...

Cheers all,

Ben
princess

Post by princess »

Great review Ben, we love having you back and yes it was a good day when we all rode Tecno together, though as for comfort I remember the first year I rode it, I ended up with a massive bruise on my back, it looked very spectacular for quite sometime.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Not brave enough to ride the Zipper Ben?
princess

Post by princess »

Went out today, did not stay long, No Limit is in a great spot, glad its out of the corner, Fear looks good where No Limit was, everyone coming out of Hollywood house of horrors looked like they enjoyed it, dam the music Nazis, just not pumping today, I also like the set up where speed, mega drop etc are.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Zamperla wrote:Not brave enough to ride the Zipper Ben?
LOL! :lol: Yeah I am but didn't get around to it for some reason. I did stand around and watch it for a while and had planned to return to it but forgot. I should make the Zipper my first stop when I head back out there next week.

I know what you mean about the music Princess. Some rides like Breakdance had it going full blast while others like Waveswinger had none at all. Sky Walker has a brilliant sounding music system with really big bass speakers but it too wasn't going as loud as I've heard it in the past. No Limit sounded good as usual with some dance mashers going.

Was Fear operating okay today Princess?
princess

Post by princess »

Yes Ben when I saw it, it was working fine ..
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

NO LIMIT - - - FINALLY RIDDEN!
XXXL - - - RIDDEN!
SPEED - - - FINALLY RIDDEN!

Gotta hand it to Mondial, NO LIMIT is a f***ing beast, and I loved every minute... also Fear was a lame, boring and painful coaster.... good concept, sh** ride...
XXXL was also amazing, and totally fun!

photos, video and review soon!
benclare

Post by benclare »

Wow that's fantastic Huss! You sure tackled some of the biggest rides at the RES and I'm glad you enjoyed them! I can't wait to read your review and see the vids. Out of all the ones you tried for the first time, what was your favourite?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

No Limit by far.... heading face first towards the ground was awesome!
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Well done! were you on NL during the day or night?
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I hope the weather is nicer your way than over here, at the V8's in Hamilton and it hasn't stopped raining.

Looking forward to everybody's photo's, would love to see some of the Speed ride
benclare

Post by benclare »

The weather is pretty bad here at the moment with almost constant rain. It's the cold I'm having difficulty adjusting to! :shock: Anyway, the forecast isn't looking too bad with an awesome week of fine weather on its way apparently.

I'm heading back either late Wednesday or Friday and am already counting down the days!

As with most rides, NL is much better riding at night IMO with a better and more daring atmosphere.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Rode it at night, was amazing.... Best feeling flipping over and Heading face first towards the ground and over the platform
RexDragon

Post by RexDragon »

Tomorrow's the day I'm going to the RES! May not have a couple of my favourite rides like Rainbow, but nonetheless, it should be fun. Expect a review from yours truly, RexDragon, tomorrow evening.

Oh, and Topgunner, if I go on the Power Surge and see you operating the ride, I'll say hello.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Photos anyone?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

soon... got like 300 or something! haha
princess

Post by princess »

Sky walker has their music pumping, but no riders that's cause it's in a shitty position imo.
Last edited by princess on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
princess

Post by princess »

Thank you to Sky walker for restoring my faith in loud music, though as I stated before not many riders, other majors had queues, not big ones, but enough to get the next ride going.

XXXL, had good lines, their ride looked great at night, love the strobing, it was also very funny watching the people duck as the ride swooped over their heads, I think I am over the smoke machines, which seems to be everywhere, also great interaction with the operator and riders, he was very enthusiastic, got the riders well prepared.

No Limit, is still my favourite, still so much fun to watch,I honestly think I would have a heart attack, coming down towards the ground at that speed, hang time was just enough to get your breath back, clearly only to lose it again, with the next rotation, also good interaction between operator and riders.

Fear was out of order again, what the hell is wrong with this ride, least it was in the corner out of view, as you walked by it, you really did not notice that it was out of action.

Zipper, omg this ride takes ages to load and unload,must have taken a good 5 minutes, this is a long time when you consider bigger rides are loading in way less time than that, it is also really starting to look its age,
sorry to all the Zipper fans, it was clunky, in saying the negative, people getting off it were still enjoying their ride.

Ranger, ok what have I been missing, all of a sudden I noticed just how fast this ride goes, it had me transfixed with the speed of it also the great noise it was making a shwshooing noise which just added to the look of the ride, good hang time, did not have any people waiting to ride when I was watching.

Space Roller had good queues looked good and a bit of interaction from the ride operator, (oz)

I really liked watching Rock and Roll, the speed was amazing, the cars were nearly upside down, so fast you could not see the people on the ride, (that could be my eyes though)

That was my last visit for this year, I really love going at night, the lights give it that little bit more atmosphere, I love the lights.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Great review as always Princess.

Totally agree with you about the Ranger. It is going better than ever and when I was there last week, it was really popular too! That's probably a good thing for O'neill's who maybe losing big money on Fear.

I also agree with you about the carnival at night. Obviously the lights do nothing for me but the atmosphere is definitely better.

I'm going back tomorrow night for the last time this year and am looking forward to it! I probably won't do as many rides as last time due to the wrist band offer no longer happening but will definitely get on some. Stay tuned for another review!
Tayz

Post by Tayz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64rwFNWRS3Q This is pretty funny, (skip to 1:08 for the funny bit)
"If you don't like the idea of having crabs" hahaha.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Interesting about FEAR, was running pretty well on opening day, and had a huge line during the wristband promotion.... obviously has fizzled out... and to think the ridiculous amount of money they could have been making with Rainbow on the midway!
Ranger runs soo fast because the ride doesn't have it's sensors anymore.... probably not the safest thing, but the sounds the drives make are quite amazing, something reminiscent of Rainbow's powerful hydrolic drives. Was pretty awesome being on Space Roller and having that feeling of almost hitting Ranger's cars as they stopped at the top!
Funny about Zipper taking such a long time to load, best thing is tho, it's still a classic we have on the show, one of the last remaining few in amongst all these silly new one trailer thrill machines overloaded with fiberglass and lights. Zipper is a true thrill ride we've all missed here in Melbourne!
benclare

Post by benclare »

Went back to the Show last night and had an awesome time as usual. I braced myself for huge crouds as Good Friday is traditionally the busiest day for the Show and while the crouds were enormous, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I only got stepped on twenty times instead of forty! :lol:

Anyway, the main arina was packed out but this didn't worry me so much as I had seen most of the entertainment during day 1 so I did the carnival while everyone was occupied with the motocross and other things going on over there. This turned out to be a good idea as although all rides were pretty full, it wasn't too crouded and the atmosphere was fantastic! As discussed previously, the carnival at night is much better than during the day.

I didn't do too many rides this time due to a severely restricted budget and no unlimited rides offer in place but I did a few and had some fun.

XXXL

Disorientating, unpredictable and a heap of fun, that's how I'd describe this ride! The free falling is beyond belief and well done to the operator who created a great atmosphere that was attracting a lot of riders and onlookers.

Zipper

Took ages to load this one and took a while to get going as a consequence but definitely made up for the delay, especially towards the end of the ride cycle. I think this ride along with Gravitron will continue to make its presence felt amongst the newer rides which is so excellent! If only we could have the Hurricane and Rainbow return as well.

Ranger

Didn't ride this time but watched for quite a while. As I said before, it is going better than ever and although it wasn't running totally full ride cycles, it was popular enough and the upside down time seemed to have increased as well.

Techno Jump

Just had to do this one again as the last ride of the night and the atmosphere was great. The lights were so strong that it felt like the sun was out!

Fear

Wasn't running and just sitting idol in the corner of the showground which was sad to see. As Huss said, it ran okay for a while during day one but I did see it stop just before the end of the wrist band promotion. I think this has been happening regularly throughout the week and perhaps it won't run for the remainder of the show. I was fortunate to have experienced it while it was running!

Well that's about it from me. I'm back to Samoa tomorrow evening and I count myself really lucky to have visited the RES twice over the past week and a bit.

Huge apologies for not having pics, hopefully my reviews are a bit of a substitute!