2012 Sydney Royal Easter Show

Top Gunner14

Re: 2012 Sydney Royal Easter Show

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks for the review Ben. Yeh I would've said No Limit with power Surge not far behind :lol:

Show's been going well with the great stint of weather over the long weekend, unlike last year. Especially yesterday busiest day of the long weekend by far everyone was pumping the crowds through, loving the work and heading back down on thursday
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Nice quick review ben...Looking forward to my visits this weekend!
Must admit SKYWALKER does have the best soundsystem of any ride ive been on!
princess

Post by princess »

I quoted that in my review last year how impressed I was with the music and sound from skywalker.
benclare

Post by benclare »

I agree with you Princess about No Limit. It is starting to feel like an old friend to me but I never get over the wow factor this ride provides and IMHO, it is unbelievably thrilling and scary to ride. I don't usually ride Slingshot due to the price but I don't mind watching others do it. I must do Power Surge again as it has been a long time between drinks. Hope to catch you Topgunner! I'll be at the RES tomorrow weather permitting or Friday as it looks better on that front.
princess

Post by princess »

Had my day at the show yesterday, thankfully before the rain descends upon it. All rides appeared to be doing ok, as night approached the carnival area was doing well, most rides having queues.

I watched skywalker for a time, watching people getting off rubbing their shoulders, clearly a very uncomfortable ride, making up for it was their usual good sound system. I did notice that music seemed to be a little louder this year????

No Limit continues to fascinate me, it just seems so raw the way it plummets towards the ground, not even xxxl has that rawness. Though I did not ride extreme, it was intense for a very short time, great interaction between ride operator and riders. I love the lighting on the two big dodgem tracks. I was expecting something different with the new O'Neill slide where lighting was concerned, it was still lit up well and was in a very commanding spot at the end the street.

I heard some good spruking, especially on TPA's car race game, good voice great interaction with the people, you want to make money, it's all about the interaction, my god some people's voices make you want to run in the other direction. The Slam dunk joint had no speaker at all, how do you expect to get people's attention, when all around them, are people attracting customers with spruking at least loud enough to get their attention.

Good to see Top Gunner doing some ride operating and enjoying the beats.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Great review Princess!

I ended up heading back to the RES on Sunday and it was well worth the wait! I hit the carnival early which was an excellent time as there was next to no one there so no lines at all for the rides. The trade off was a lack of atmosphere but I didn't mind so much.

Sky Flier

A good family ride and very relaxing! I was quite hot when I got on this thing so the cool breeze at the top was welcome. A good long ride cycle and a nice sound system playing Lady Gaga.

XXXL

This one isn't as scary as No Limit but IMO it comes close. It takes a little while to really get going but once the fellow says "there's maximum flippin on this one," he sure means what he says!

Waveswinger

An old favourite of mine which I nearly didn't ride as I had already done Sky Flier. I changed my mind though when March Amusements were very generous with the total lack of coupons I had to hand over for it. You guys are legends! Again a good ride cycle and nice and cool.

techno Jump

Again another fave for me and I really enjoyed it this time too. Not too many people were riding so I got on right away which was nice. Usually the lines for TJ are just too much.

Breakdance

I pretty much swore I wouldn't ride this one again after feeling sick on it some years ago but I found myself remembering the good time I had with Zamperla and Princess all those years ago so on I went. Honestly, it is insane and my stomach which had digested a cheese on a stick and lemonade not to long previous didn't thank me but still it was a fun ride that probably went too long. It sure spins fast though, much faster than the Spider at Luna Park Sydney.

Power Surge

Didn't end up riding this one as I had run out of coupons but did try to meet up with you Topgunner. I don't know whether you were on or not but I was hoping you would spot me in the crowd, a difficult thing as I don't think you've seen me before but still I am fairly easy to spot... Anyway, hung around there for a while and hopefully I heard you on the microphone because the fellow who was doing it sounded great.

Well, that's my RES done for another year. Bring on Hawkesbury! I know I keep promising but I do hope to get some of my own photos done for my reviews. I finally have a talking phone that takes pics so I am keen to try it out at Hawkesbury.
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks Ben good review, 12 months, so far away, only one visit for me this year, glad you enjoyed it.
redhot

Post by redhot »

So did anyone go today (wednesday)?
Hope you took your raincoat! :lol:
Carny's built this country, the carnival part of it anyway..."Homer Simpson"

HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

I find XXXL more intense than NO LIMIT, rode it (No Limit) 5 times over the course of 3 days, and only managed one really intense cycle on it. XXXL is just amazing to ride. KMG really have a winner with that ride.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

As always 2 weeks went way to quick. Had very good weather except for the last two days, got soaked... Then also Easter Sunday night with that storm which scared a good crowd away. Our busiest day was easily Easter Monday, the place was packed and had a very good line of people wanting to ride. Our numbers were down considering our move of site up one for Chant's RockStar to gain our old spot. They went pretty well, better than us anyway. Did hear a few people say it was a tough show which was evident, getting harder and harder for people to open their wallets even just after they get past the entry gate with a adult ticket being $36 and child's being $23. Then everything else in their food, drinks, showbags, exhibits etc people definately don't spend as much as what they used to.

For the new rides as I said Chant's RockStar went well with the position it had, would be one of the best positions in sideshow alley facing that long street. Gotta give it to the operators, great interaction with riders and the spruicking. Nearly as good as us on the Surge :lol: TPA's Extreme wasn't in the greatest position so don't think they went as well as what you would've hoped. Cetek's Magic Circus seemed to be popular everytime I saw it. Also Short's Dodgem track, fantastic looking track, just glow's at night with the blue lights around the track and all the LED's. Job well done on creating such a nice looking ride.

Must say the LED lighting is really taking over, now the multi-coloured ones are coming in more use now, as the technology develops the prices will come down but they are still expensive. Must say for FJF's Sky Flyer it was really well worth it, the tower looks amazing of a night with the rainbow effects that ripple up and down the ride, very eye catching and as I said it looks fantastic.

Was good seeing Princess, HUSSRAINBOW and Ozshowkid paying a visit while I was working, good to have our yearly catch-up. And also good to see everyone from the showgrounds with some you only see once a year at the show. Even with the long hours and putting up with the idiots, it's always a shame when the 2 weeks finishes. Some would say otherwise but the operators do a great job and put in a hell of a lot of work...

As usual no photos this year either, like I say on my breaks first thing you wanna do is grab a bite to eat and just it down and relax, then getting caught up chatting to someone different I never get time to do so. Until next year...

Cheers
Top Gunner14
princess

Post by princess »

That's interesting feedback on No Limit Chris
Last edited by princess on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Limit

Post by The Limit »

Sorry you didn't like your ride Chris, each ride is different due to the weight distribution of the riders. Next time let me know your there before you get on and I'll try and ramp it up for you.
benclare

Post by benclare »

NL is always intense for me; you're definitely made of something stronger Huss!

Will be at Hawkesbury early on Friday and as No Limit is usually one of the first to open, I'll most probably have a go. Perhaps I'll be the only one on it!
princess

Post by princess »

Enjoy Ben
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

The Limit wrote:Sorry you didn't like your ride Chris, each ride is different due to the weight distribution of the riders. Next time let me know your there before you get on and I'll try and ramp it up for you.
I told you HUSS, this guy^^^ did tell me to tell you to introduce yourself to him... maybe you would've got more than 1 intense ride outta him then :lol:
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

haha sorry mate, there was one ride you gave when there were a few "larger" guys on the other side, and my god did it flip! loved it... Regardless of how it's driven, I loved it all 5 times... Absolutely DYING to try a CAPRIOLO in Europe! (I just need to find one when im there)
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Finally have gotten around to editing and uploading my photo's for this years Sydney Royal Easter Show. 2012 Has been my 8th Easter Show and even though Rainbow once again didn't grace the midway with its presence I still had a good year. No Limit and XXXL were my two favourites, stupid me for not trying No Limit earlier! it's a truly magnificent machine as is XXXL. As the years go by, I feel that Sydney is losing its once amazing magic that it once possessed. Yes, the rides look amazing, but I feel there isn't that nostalgia and classic feel to the midway anymore. Some rides have out welcomed their stay and I don't understand why they keep getting a return spot. Is it too much to ask to see a different layout for 2013?
Overall the show still packed that punch and was good to see people enjoying the rides. Shame to see the carnival soo quiet though, definitely down from previous years, and you could tell.
Was great catching up with friends, not too sure why I didn't work this year, but was great to see everyone, sorry to those I didn't get to catch up with.
It's now onto Melbourne as I won't be here for EKKA and Adelaide (Shame would have loved to work Sky Walker again). Here's hoping we see Rainbow back for the 2013 season.... Garry it's award winning! BRING IT BACK!

Managed to ride:
No Limit (5)
XXXL (3)
Break Dance
Space Roller
Taipan
Sky Flyer
Sky Walker (4)
Sky Master Wheel
Pirates Revenge (2)

Enjoy the photos.

When the Easter Show was amazing... A Huss filled Wittingslow affair!

Is there a reason that OCS is using CONKLINS logo? Did they pay for this? The only modification is has is the colours and flower on the hat.....

Apparently this happened a few times over the show, the arm holding the sign kept unhinging, resulting in the ride needing to be lowered so the sign could be fixed.

tziolasamusements

Post by tziolasamusements »

sh** SHOW except the old photo of my time on WITTINGSLOW's glory days!
sorry to offend but that's my option
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Many thanks for sharing the photo's, really enjoyed them. Is that Short's new Dodgem Track?
Cheers Kiwi
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Awesome photos Chris, cheers for them
redhot

Post by redhot »

Nice photos Huss, thanks for showing..
Carny's built this country, the carnival part of it anyway..."Homer Simpson"

benclare

Post by benclare »

Well done Huss! I agree with you about the RES carnival losing some of its magic but IMO, it's still one of the best and I just love the atmosphere when I'm there. Even when I'm living overseas, I make the trip back just to go to the Royal Easter Show. People think I'm crazy but that's just me!
princess

Post by princess »

Great work Huss, some great lighting on some of these rides, zipper is looking very tired, could do with a bit of a do up imo.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Great reviews and good to see some photos!

Did anyone ride Disk-O?
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Great Photos! thanks for sharing!