2006 Newcastle Show

benclare

2006 Newcastle Show

Post by benclare »

Hi all,

The Newcastle Show begins this coming Thursday and I was wondering whether anyone is going? I thought about it some time ago but then learnt the ride lineup was going to be very disappointing. I'm not sure whether the outcome of the recent court case will change things but it's a real shame if not too many carnival ride operators come to this Show because it's quite a big one, running over four days with a public holiday on Friday, 26 May and the Showground is a good venue with lots of room for all the major attractions.

I checked out the official website which doesn't have the rides list up yet which is a bit disappointing. If anyone knows the confirmed ride lineup and-or is going, I for one would appreciate the info and perhaps a review!

Cheers all,

Ben
princess

Post by princess »

Starchase, Yo Yo, Dogems, Splash Canyon, Claw, Hurricane, Chaos, they are the majors, this gear is combined Osbornes and Durkins.

Last edited by princess on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi

Splash Canyon

Post by kiwi »

Hi, wondering if anyone has any pics of the Splash Canyon, or if they could take any and post them.

From what I can gather it is now a rather old ride which people don't think belongs at any major shows.

Thanks
Kiwi
benclare

Post by benclare »

I don't have any pics of Splash but it is basicly a water ride more commonly found at theme parks. The ride started travelling Australia in 1996 but it maybe a lot older than that. When Tomte Land opened in 1998, Splash Canyon was its major attraction and operated for most of the year there except for Easter when it came to the Royal Easter Show. Splash cops quite a bagging and although it isn't my alltime favourite ride, I do enjoy going on it and it was always very popular during its time at the RES. It features two major drops, the second quite thrilling in my oppinion! You get fairly wet, especially inside your shoes as the boat tends to fill with water.
princess

Post by princess »

I thought that you could control rides
Last edited by princess on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

agreed that it probably wasnt the best ride, but I dunno, theres something about it that I would always like seeing at the show...it has a certain presence. The RES felt a little weird this year without it.
kiwi

Log Flumes

Post by kiwi »

Big fairs in England where I worked had M&D's flume ride, which also came out of their park to attend major fairs. It always seemed such a popular ride. I now believe a number of water rides are traveling their, including rapid rides.

I recall at both Hull and Nottingham M&D's let all the water out of their ride in one go, simlpy anyone else on the ground had to stop work and water for the inches of water to dispese. Both occasions our ride was rather close, so at least the second time I had some idea what was coming.

Are they more strict with the release of the water in Australia?
benclare

Post by benclare »

I wish I knew how to control how wet I got during my time on Splash! :lol: It wasn't fun squelching around the Showground all day in wet shoes. One of the things I like most about the ride is the very distinct click clack sound it makes whilst climbing the lift hill, sort of like the Wild Mouse but much louder and metallic.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I am sceptical about the claim that the operator can control the amount of water - I can't recall splash canyon having any operator controlled "water cannons" - I would say the greatest factor would be the distribution of weight / amount of weight in each log.

Kiwi, amazing about that story of releasing the water - that would never happen in Australia at the moment, here in Victoria we are enduring government enforced water restrictions - authorities would never allow it to be filled and emptied with the same amount of [tap] water, and would be unlikely to issue a permit.

Our water catchments have been at a record low these past few years, but the water restrictions have paid off, and reservoirs have reasonable levels for the most part. Most Australians would now have spray guns on the end of their hoses etc. all enforced with compliance fines.
princess

Post by princess »

I think it must have something to do with weight distribution, but I do have to opportunity to ask, so I will shortly, I have mentioned to you in the past Zamperla that it is operator touchy feely, maybe it has wheels in the bottom at the top of the slides that can be controlled as to the speed the boats drop, faster or slower if you get my drift, depending on how the operator wants to control it.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Interesting! All I know is I got thoroughly soked each time I was on that thing and the operators thought it was pretty amusing so Princess you probably would've suffered the same fate if you had gone on Splash Canyon.

As for the water restrictions, do they need permits to fill up this ride? How much water is needed to operate it? I guess the water could be reused on gardens etc whenever Splash Canyon is pulled down.
Top Gunner13

Post by Top Gunner13 »

hey guys yeh for wat i culd remember it was sh** as coz it was rainin but i was ova workin wit mi cattle for the weekend so yeh didnt realli get the chance to go ova on the rides but back den i was interested in dem as much
catch yas later
Vee

Post by Vee »

Top Gunner13 wrote:hey guys yeh for wat i culd remember it was sh** as coz it was rainin but i was ova workin wit mi cattle for the weekend so yeh didnt realli get the chance to go ova on the rides but back den i was interested in dem as much
catch yas later
I call IP ban