2008 Sale Show (Review,pics and videos added)

Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

Shame for weather!

CHEERS,
Space Roller Freak
Matt Diabolism

Post by Matt Diabolism »

Space Roller Freak wrote:Bit of a sad lineup if thats all thats comin!
I wouldn't say sad SRF..like I said,at least one more major would've been good,but our midway isn't huge,it is a country show after all,and Sale seems to clash with at least one other Victorian show every year.One thing that annoyed me about this year is there are two dodgem tracks..I realize they are popular, but one would be sufficient for us.The space the second track takes up could have been used for another ride.
Anyway,Hurricane,Cha Cha and Scorpion are all complete..Zipper just needs to be raised,which they will probably do tomorrow.The worst of the bad weather looks to be forecast for tomorrow...still some showers for Friday though.
Space Roller Freak

The last few days here it was gonna rain but it didn't happen, weather forcasts can lie, lookin forwards to ur pics!

CHEERS,
Space Roller Freak
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hey, thanks for the photos.

I reckon that’s a fair decent line-up for the sale show. This is the first time I can remember ever seeing the scorpion there and also the zipper hasn't turned up very regularly over the last few years. For some reason they often seem to have two dodgem tracks there too, no idea why cause one is always dead.

Where is the Matterhorn though! I can't remember one single year when the Matterhorn hasn't turned up, it’s always in the exact same spot.

It is disappointing though that they don’t bring at least one big major ride, the show does get quiet a big crowd. A few years ago now there was an article in the local paper saying the show society had made a deal with the show guild to make sure the show got one new major ride every year for the next four years. Thats just from memory though.

Coincidentally, I’ve got something on in Sale this weekend so I'll definitely try to go along for a look.

Shaun
Matt Diabolism

Post by Matt Diabolism »

Greetings Shaun..if I remember correctly you're from Sale or the surrounding area right? (or used to be)..been a fair while since I 've seen a post from you.
Yeah,I'd like to know what happened to the Matterhorn..it was never one of my favourites,but it just seemed to disappear around 4 or so years ago.I guess it got sold?..does anyone have any info?.This is the second year for Scorpion at Sale..it was pretty popular last year.I wasnt very impressed with it though.Last time Zipper was here was 05,and that was our last truly great line-up in my opinion..in addition to all the usual Bells gear,it was the year Mega Drop made it debut here,and the first (and so far only) time Twin Flip made an appearance.
Yeah I read that article too..I think that "deal" they made came into effect in 05..so they certainly delivered that year,but 06 saw nothing new,last year it was Scorpion,and this year nothing new again..hmmm,a bit of a failure on the guilds end?.I dont think our show society knows much about the amusement industry anyway,which is probably why they made such a deal.They should be pushing for No Limit,Space Roller,Flash Dance,Speed,Hard Rock,Break Dance,Ali Baba...etc.
I am lookind forward to this year though..particularly to see Zipper operating with the new lighting and paint job.Only a few hours to go :lol: .
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

How in what way is an ALI BABA a new ride?.... surely outdated, and over-populated. I don't see the point of there being soo many units here. There are like 2 that I havent even seen on the road, apart from photos.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

If it hasn't been to the Sale Show before, I'd say it constitutes a "new" ride.

Shaun you're back?

Be careful of those bee swarms!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

How'd the show go Matt?
Matt Diabolism

Post by Matt Diabolism »

Well another one has come and gone...it was an OK show,weather on Friday wasn't too good,some showers during the day,and strong winds all night (which made taking pics difficult with all the dirt 'n dust in the air).I ended up going on Saturday afternoon as well..beautiful sunny day,not too hot.I had a few very good experiences on two of the rides, but I'll get to those later in the review.Unfortunately I have to start on one VERY big disappointment.I arrived at around 7 pm on Friday,and immediately noticed Zipper didn't have any of it's lights on,and once I got on the midway it was obvious something was wrong..no lights,music,operators or riders.It wasn't until I was leaving that I saw any of the operators,who were in the process of tearing it down.The woman I spoke to didn't seem to know what happened,but she asked a bloke who I assume was Dean..and he angrily grumbled something..from which I only got...hydraulics?.I'm sure the situation was just as frustrating for them as it was for me,having this happen right at the peak hour for riders, in terms of numbers...and of course I'd been looking forward to seeing and riding it all bloody week.

Friday Night

Saturday Afternoon

SCORPION
After last years disappointment with this I almost didn't ride it.But I waited until most of the crowds had thinned so I could choose which set of cars to ride in.I've noticed that all the arms spin at different speeds (Is this normal,or an indication it needs a mechanical overhaul?),with yellow being the fastest,pink the slowest and blue somewhere in the middle.Naturally wanting the best bang for my buck,I got in the yellow cars..and I was much more impressed,and was a highlight for this year.

They had already started teardown when I arrived on Saturday,not enough people riding to warrant operation I guess?.

SCORPION VIDEO-OFFRIDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkQkJDRgEpQ

TORNADO
Always enjoy this..rode twice,once on Friday and again on Saturday.Looking OK,a few missing or blown globes.

TORNADO VIDEOS-
ONRIDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYzbH80N9d4
OFFRIDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIArZb0fXgI

CHA CHA
Didn't ride it...but very popular as always.

CHA CHA VIDEO-OFFRIDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxpqsl3-i2w

CLIFF HANGER
I rode this in '06..never again,way too slow for me.

CLIFF HANGER VIDEO-OFFRIDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYDQ1Lgj8-M

DODGEM TRACK-Bell's

DODGEM TRACK-No idea who owns this one..as I said in a previous post,this second track was unnecessary,hardly anyone riding,even during the peak hours on Friday night.

MUSIC TRIP-Didn't ride it...but very popular.

MUSIC TRIP VIDEO-OFFRIDE:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mp2S19k7as

TILT-After two disappointing experiences I doubt I'll ever ride this again...but popular as always.

TILT VIDEO-OFFRIDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ZAPMHzK7A

HURRICANE-Rode twice..Friday and Saturday.I wasn't paying alot of attention to the ride experience on Friday,as I was shooting an onride video,but it seemed OK..the usual Hurricane fare..nothing too intense.But Saturday was another thing altogether.Longer cycle with more air bursts than usual..the bouncing and massive WHOOSH of air as the cars swooped down actually had me holding the bar..something I've never done in the past!Ha Ha...best Hurricane experience ever.Looking good,only noticed one blown globe,up the top on the Hurricane sign.

HURRICANE VIDEOS-
ONRIDE:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DbZEq5CTvs
OFFRIDE:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kApj23sVlPg

A footnote about the videos:Yeah,they are shot with a digital camera..so the audio quality isnt too crash hot,but as long as you have a high speed connection and select the "watch in high quality" option they are perfectly watchable in my opinion.
Space Roller Freak

Great Review Matt, but a huge dissapointment for Dean Davis. Well, i don't think I will b goin next year cuz u said that some rides packed up saturday afternoon. Anyway Albury has a better lineup, so I think I will do that instead.

CHEERS,
Space Roller Freak
PNC

Post by PNC »

that second track is owned by John Roberts
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Excellent review Matt. Great vids, photos. Very big balem for Dean, knowing him, he would've been very pissed off. At least you had a pretty good time
princess

Post by princess »

I think I have discovered why there was a difference in my Hurricane experience at Fishers Ghost after looking at your photos Matt, I will get back on this when I have done a little study.
princess

Post by princess »

By the way great work Matt,
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hey yeah I'm still around. Yeah used to live sale, would still call myself a local although haven't lived there since I finished school in 2004, two exams left and I will have finished my degree. :D.

I never actually got to the show in the end. I drove past and was a bit disappointed. I drove past Friday night swell and noticed the zipper wasn't running, I thought it was really weird the lights were off too.

Thanks for the photos and the review. I always find it fascinating seeing the zipper racked on the trailer. Be so annoying seeing all those customers walking past with money hanging out their pockets and having your ride down.

Shaun
Matt Diabolism

Post by Matt Diabolism »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys..glad you liked it..heh,it took me hours to put the bloody thing together..but it was a labour of love! :lol: .
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Good work Matt - nice photos. I see you got the Hurri in full swing (gotta love seeing those cables without tension as the arms hit 90 degrees)