Adelaide Showground's Mouse To Go

Jaffa23

Adelaide Showground's Mouse To Go

Post by Jaffa23 »

All,

Sad news - one of the remaining wooden Mad Mouses we have left in the country looks like it's not going to be around after this years show. I rode this a few years ago, and it was actually in still nice condition - exactly the same layout as the one we had at the Melbourne show for many years,,,,,(red cars not yellow)/

The Adelaide mouse is housed on top of a building, adding to the excitement. (like the Melbourne showground's Mouse used to be). This building is being torn down - hopefully The Mad Mouse will be either relocated or sold - not trashed.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

Cheers,

Jaffa23
benclare

Post by benclare »

This is indeed sad news as the Mad Mouse, although not the best coaster in the world has a lot of history attached to it and is always a popular attraction at the big shows. We haven't had the MM in Sydney since the accident in Melbourne back in 2003 and I know a lot of people miss it.

There are only two Wild Mice operating now, at Luna Park Sydney and Aussie World. I have no idea what's happened to the former Wittingslow one, has it been sold or scrapped perhaps?
princess

Post by princess »

I used to love seeing the rides on the roofs of buildings at Moore Park, the old Show ground site in Sydney, must of been hell to set up, just added to atmosphere, does this happen any where else in Australia now.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

It is dissappointing that it will no longer be on the grounds - it is a unique position to be on top of a building and adds to the excitement of the ride.

I know American coaster enthusiasts are in envy of our original wooden mad mice - all guaranteed to give a more traditional ride than any steel equivalent.

As they say, you can't stop progress - we can only hope it gets relocated within the country and not shipped off-shore. Now I am getting cravings to ride Aussieworld's well operated example (more airtime on that unit than I've felt on any other - gives a superb action-packed ride)
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Benclare / Princess / Zamperla,,,,

Agreed, agreed, agreed.........

The Mouse's have a huge history associated to them all (especially the original 3 - (Melbourne -Witts; Adelaide - Bob Lawrence; and Luna Sydney - I think all the same layout config and design)..... Aussie World (from my understanding) was imported from the US, and is kept in immaculate condition from what I can gather, although I am yet to ride....

Ben - not sure what ever happened to the Witt's model after the Mel Show prob.....The Adelaide unit was IDENTICAL to the one I luved so much in Ascot Vale.....I really need to plan a holiday to Sydney via the Sunshine Coast to get on the remaining beasts. Princess- with all the redevelopment at the Melb showgrounds over the years, rides on top of buildings seem to be a distant memory.....

Finally - you probably have seen this link to a great webiste previously, but this photo from the 70s shows 3 great memories (well for me anyway):

http://www.ride-extravaganza.com/rides/ ... sup_03.jpg

1: Superloop in Foreground.....

2: The Mad Mouse terrorising people both in cars and way below, and finally,,,,

3. What is that on the left of the Mouse???? Yes it is,,,,,- I remember getting off the mouse, then waiting in line to be locked up in vomit stinking metal tub,,,,,

Sweet sweet memories,,,,

Jaffa23
princess

Post by princess »

Great Photo, the ride to the left looks like Turbo to me, nice memory about the vomit, ehewwwww, was this taken in Adelaide.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Thats from the Melbourne Showgrounds Princess.

Spot on...that's The Turbo. Also used to operate high on the roof of the same building the Mad Mouse was located.

Cheers,

Jaffa23
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

i for one am very upset that the are getting rid of the mouse, its an institution! how can they do this!!!!!!! im glad im not the only one upset!
princess

Post by princess »

We should have a heritage listed amusement park, that has all these older rides in them, they are a part of our history.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Sounds like a good idea to me Princess (let me know if you win Lotto)

Here is a 2004 article [and photos] on the demise of Melb Showground's Mad Mouse:

Page 1:

Page 2:

Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Wow,

It's good to know that it's not just me that is unimpressed re: the demise of the mouse!

Princess / Zamperla: You raise an interesting point re: "preserving traditional amusement rides". I'm not sure if this has been addressed in other forums, (or should be in this thread), but I would like to know what people would like to keep / preserve / see again in regards to traditional amusement rides that are no longer with us in Oz....

I'll start the ball rolling:

- Wooden Big Dipper (ex Glenelg / Sydney / Melbourne Luna Park)
- Mangels Whip (ex Luna Melb)
- River Caves (ex Luna Melb).

As Zamperla has previously said - times change, and we move on with faster, bigger modern rides,,,,but sometimes, historic rides need to be maintained for future generations,,,,

Look at places like Kennywood in the US - a great mix of old and new,,,,

Anyway - that's my blah for the night!

Cheers,

Jaffa23
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Mangels Whip definately (never got to ride one)

How about the traditional Tumble Bug? [Mangels / Traver]

(we had at least 1 at Sydney's Luna Park and probably a lot of others back in the day in the parks we had)

A Swingin' Gym would be good, were there ever any in Aus?

More modern but now forgotten rides would include: Superloops, Skydiver, Eyerly Roll-o-plane & Rock-o-plane, Chance Rok-n-Roll
benclare

Post by benclare »

The Mexican Whip at Manly Pier was excellent, as was the Spider at Australia's Wonderland. I am not sure whether there would be a market for an amusement park containing all the old rides but I know I would visit it often.
princess

Post by princess »

maybe it could be an intergration of a Amusement park with new rides, as well as a heritage area, for our old favourites, maintaining these rides could get difficult as parts become obsolete.

Luna Park Sydney used to have a river caves as well, which was always cool in summer and freezing in winter, but I used to love getting onto the old wooden boats and bumping into the walls all the way through, it was talked about as the tunnel of love as well, dont know why, always had too much lighting for anything to go on, I was far to young for that anyway.

:shock: :lol:

They recently bought back into RES the freak show, so maybe there is a market for it, the freak show queue was enormous, all the time. There is a definite interest in our past.
benclare

Post by benclare »

What an excellent freak show it was too! I know some people were shocked and walked out while it was on but most people really enjoyed it and it sure sounded like the actors had a lot of fun putting it together. I think you'll see the freak shows touring again, at least for the major capital shows.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

USA showmen are still quite active in this area in some US states (Coney Island NY has a few, Ben I'm sure you know a few details) - I did not know about the freak show at Royal Easter.
princess

Post by princess »

OMG YOU DID'NT, I just thought you would of known, sorry I did''nt mention it, I have not got any patience for lines of people so I did not see it, but it got heaps of attention.
gibbo

Post by gibbo »

benclare wrote:I am not sure whether there would be a market for an amusement park containing all the old rides but I know I would visit it often.
That was Lindsay Fox's intent for LPM, but it never happened.

CG
princess

Post by princess »

Bugger
princess

Post by princess »

Bugger :cry: