10th anniversary of Spin Dragon's collapse!

Dazzleland

10th anniversary of Spin Dragon's collapse!

Post by Dazzleland »

Last month marked the 10th anniversary of the infamous Spin Dragon accident at the Adelaide Show!! :)
If anyone has any more pics of the spin dragon or recorded news footage regarding the accident, let me know!

Thanks!
HUSSRAINBOW

Re: 10th anniversary of Spin Dragon's collapse!

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

i remember seeing that on the news, then the next day they spoke to the girls who were on it, and all i cared about was rainbow going in the background..... Wittingslow still have the ride, apparently its been rebuilt!
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

From RideAccidents.com
Ride collapses at fair in Australia; 37 injured
(Saturday, September 2, 2000) - At the Royal Adelaide Show in Australia, thirty-seven people were injured after the Spin Dragon ride collapsed. Investigators believe that several bolts sheered off from the ride, causing the passenger platform to break free from its mountings and crash to the ground.

The ride is manufactured by the Fabbri Group of Italy. The type of ride is more commonly known as Top Spin and Space Loop. Passengers sit in rows across a large platform, which is connected to the ends of two vertical arms. The rotating motion of the arms causes the platform to flip throughout the ride cycle, sending riders upside-down over and over again.

Witnesses say that they heard a loud grinding noise as the platform completed a flip, then they watched the platform break away from the ride and crash to the ground, trapping some bystanders underneath it.

Twenty-four people were treated at local hospitals and released. Five people remain hospitalized, three of whom are being treated in intensive care. Ten other people were treated at the scene.

Witnesses say that the ride was having problems throughout the day. One witness saw workers making adjustments to the ride shortly before the accident.

The accident is under investigation. The ride has been impounded by the South Australian government.

The Spin Dragon is owned and operated by Wittingslow Amusements.
$3 million settlement in 2000 Spin Dragon collapse
(December 9, 2006) - Forty-two people who were injured in when a carnival ride collapsed at a fair in September, 2000, will receive between $2000 and $400,000 each in compensation after their case was settled. The total payout is expected to be up to $3 million.

The accident happened at the Royal Adelaide Show in Australia. The ride, called the Spin Dragon, collapsed when 44 of the gondola's 48 bolts broke.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

i think Wittingslow probably would still own majority of their major rides if the Spin Dragon and Wild Mouse accidents didnt happen :(
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

Collapsed Spin Dragon operator found guilty on 40 charges
(Friday, August 15, 2003) - Wittingslow Entertainment Services has been found guilty of 40 charges of failing to protect the public and its workers in connection with the September, 2000 collapse of its Spin Dragon ride at Australia's Royal Adelaide Show which injured 37 people. Investigators found that 44 of the 48 bolts which held the ride's carriage to its two lifting arms had either failed, loosened, or had been undone completely. The bolts sheered off from the ride, causing the passenger platform to break free from its mountings and crash to the ground.
Industrial Relations Court Magistrate Richard Hardy said that the collapse would not have happened had the ride been properly maintained and inspected.
"Had appropriate attention been devoted to the security of the bolts in question at the interval recommended by the manufacturer... the accident on September 2, 2000 would not have occurred."
The ride is manufactured by the Fabbri Group of Italy.
Hardy found the company guilty of 33 counts of failing to take adequate steps to avoid risk to members of the public; four counts of failing to protect the safety of employees; two counts of failing to comply with the maintenance recommendations of the ride's manufacturer; and one count of failing to ensure that the ride was maintained in a safe condition.
Hardy found the company liable to pay $20,000 to each victim and $147,500 in other penalties, however he declined to order the company to pay, as it is now insolvent. Lawyers who have begun class action suits say the decision will not affect their cases because the company was insured.
Wittingslow Entertainment Services, once one of Australia's biggest amusement operators, is now doing business as Entertainment Services International.
princess

Post by princess »

This has been covered many times in this forum, it is time to move on, a lot has been learned from the spin dragon accident, we do not want to rehash, especially as it has upset some people that were hurt in this accident, including the operators.
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

HUSSRAINBOW wrote:i remember seeing that on the news, then the next day they spoke to the girls who were on it, and all i cared about was rainbow going in the background..... Wittingslow still have the ride, apparently its been rebuilt!
Me too! I last saw the news footage in 2001!