Adelaide Show '11

sam

Re: Adelaide Show '11

Post by sam »

Must say, SkyWalker is a spectacular ride to watch - when the arm rises to full height it looks fantastic - and it has a fantastic small footprint!
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Nice pix Dazzleland, glad to see your parents let you take some photos after all. I know those cameras can be dangerous things, I once took a photo and had the camera facing back to front. I was out of action for days due to the camera flash blinding me :oops: . Really though, for a capital show, the crowds were p*ss poor!
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

Good pics Dazzeland, not much of a crowd in a few of them. Was it early?
I like the avatar themed gravatron, who owns it?
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Just got back from Adelaide Show. wow looked awesome at night with all the new LED's. Crowds seemed pretty good though the weather turned bad a few days and it emptied out real fast.

Now for the trip to Melbourne. anyone know what diesel prices are at the moment?
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

Bahhh just typed my review and it asked me to log in and lost it all sigh......

I went on the last day of the show during the day which was probably the worst for weather mind you I have been in alot worse weather before. When I got there is the morning the crowd was pretty small (10) but by about 3pm was shoulder and shoulder and hopefully led into a good night for everyone. I heard on the news last night that they are expecting a final crowd number of just less than 500,000, slightly less than what they were expecting.

Went on four rides, Extreme, Sky Walker, Disk-O and Power Surge, all rides I had never been on before. All riders were 2 for $15 which I thought was pretty good value compared to prices last year and prices of other rides.

First ride was Extreme. Really really really enjoyed this! It actually reminded me alot of ride I went on in Vienna called Extasy although Extreme had a shorter ride cycle which was good in the way that I got to ride other rides unlike barely being able to walk after the ride in Vienna (I still loved every minute of it though). Super fast and even though from the ground it doesn't get up very high, it certainly gives you the impression you are a lot higher than you are. Throws one very hard and is very intense. When I rode the one in Vienna, it was the ride that convince me those safety harnesses are full proof! Hope it is back next year, can't wait to ride it again! Whilst I was there this ride always had a queue, but they were only half filling the ride which could explain that.

Next up was Sky Walker. Arguably the most intense ride I have ever been on and well worth the experience although I"m not sure I would actually want to ride again. I still really dont know if I enjoyed it or not. I must say as well as intense I also found it extremely uncomfortable and not just because the harness squashes into a certain part of the male anatomy (i would have actually said this ride didn't do that), the chair was just very uncomfortable to sit in and for someone so short it was very hard to hold on to the handles (which I guess i technically don't need to do, but i'm chicken :P). Could still feel that I had ridden the ride the next day. Great view of the show grounds and wasn't quite as jarring as I thought it might be watching it as it moved, but very intense and as I said still not sure if I enjoyed it or not. Can't see myself riding this again unfortunately. Found it a bit odd that tickets were 2 for $15 or $10 each, mind you they were handing out vouchers to be people at the ticket office which took $2 off which I guess made it the same as the other 2 for $15 rides.

Next up with Disk-O, which I had watched before heading off to Extreme and though it looks quite fast that will be the fun. Honestly this was one of the slowest rides I had ever been on and I kept saying to myself it will pick up speed, it looked fast before, nope no speed pick up at all. I think this however it the perfect ride of families so maybe if I had kids I would have been more impressed. Ah well chalk that up to experience I guess!

Finally I rode Power Surge, which despite being at the show for a number of years I never actually had ridden before. Was going to ride the Hard Rock one of my faves but coupled with its every increasing price to go on and the long queue which would likely lead to a very short cycle I decided to give it a miss. enjoyed Power Surge but I think alot of these rides are getting to be very similair these days and unfortunately most of the newer type rides are faster so likely to give this a miss in the future.

Overall enjoyed my day and already looking forward to next year :P Will have to go earlier next year though so I can get my pick of the things to buy. I guess I'll have to settle for the small Papa Smurf over the giant one!!
princess

Post by princess »

Nice review scorpion, welcome back
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

My top four opinions on few of the rides that I've been on:

1. Thunder Bolt & Rock N Roll give the same ride experience as they run at the same speed.
2. Psychodelic was a little disorienting but I found my way through the entire maze!
3. Disko made me feel like riding a skateboard in a giant halfpipe.
4. On Cliff Hanger, I saw that my legs were about to clip the fence flags but luckily they didn't.

Looking forward to next year's show. I predict we'll get a KMG Mission Space!
benclare

Post by benclare »

Awesome reviews as usual guys!

Boy can't I wait to finally try Extreme! It sounds totally unbelievable and fun and I will be trying it soon nothing surer.

It seems I am in the minority about Disk'o. Sure it's a family ride but I really enjoyed the sensation it gave; nothing too intense but fairly simple and a lot of fun IMO.

Half a mil attendance is a pretty good number for a city Adelaide's size and that with bad weather thrown in too.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

Thanks Princess.

Ben if it is indeed the same ride I rode in Austria and I'm pretty sure it is, hope for a long ride cycle! It was one of the best rides I had ever been on and I seriously was so spun out afterwards I couldn't walk straight for almost an hour.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Great photos Dazzleland. Your parents must've been feeling generous to allow you to take so many shots.

Keep up the good work. ps. did you ride anything? or didn't the parents allow it?

...don't forget that safety vest.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

haha we for sure won't get a mission space.... far too big
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Great photos Dazzleland cheers for that and everyone else with the reviews. Adelaide always seems to be a great show which is good to see the city supporting the show. Did anyone get any better photos of the Power Surge, haven't seen the new control booth yet and I think the Jurrasic Coaster may have had the backwall painted by now?