What was the name of,,,,,

Jaffa23

What was the name of,,,,,

Post by Jaffa23 »

Ok - need some help....

Let me set the scene.....Exhibition Buildings Melbourne, early 80s, Skyhooks playing on stage. Jaffa23 dressed in his finest acid wash jeans, Starsky and Hutch jacket and Ciak shoes,,,,,
Several rides set up indoors, including a strange Ghost train which I hadn't seen before,,,,,

Description: You stood upright in cages that rotated very slowly off what looked like a monorail track (each cage had its own motor above your head which caused the cage to spin)....

Never saw it again,,,,,,,weird ride....

Any 80s fans out there who knew of this? Ozshowkid - any clues?

Cheers,

Jaffa23
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I've seen the ride you are referring to. I think it would've been early 1990's Melbourne Show. (I had no idea it was that old, as it seemed like quite a modern concept) - am interested to know more.

Speaking of the Skyhooks, have you seen their 1974 'Horror Movie' film clip? (filmed at Melbourne's Luna Park, complete with a very scary looking Red Simmons):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CLSC8c5oEJs

- top song.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

LOL! FANTASTIC!!! - hadn't seent that clip for years,,,,

Ah - memories of what Luna Park used to be like, with Big Dipper, Giggle Palace, River Caves, Mangels Whip and outdoor GoKarts...

Yeah - the spinning cages of the ghost train were quite a modern concept -I think I also saw it at a later time at the Melb show, but many of the cages no longer rotated - I guess this 'prototype' design may have led to high maintenance and technical problems,,,,

Cheers,

Jaffa23
zacchiniboy

Post by zacchiniboy »

yea i think thats miller's ghost train your talking about there. You stand upright in it and there is a little motor above your head. wat was painted on it?
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Thanks Zacchinboy,

Can't really remember the artwork - I'm probably talking 20 years ago now....

For those who have never seen what we are talking about, I guess the only "similar" suspended ghost train / dark ride that I have come across is the Haunted Mansion dark ride in Funland, Rehoboth Beach. Cars are suspended by overhead track, however these are still sit down cars - not the stand up cages we have been discussing,,,

http://www.laffinthedark.com/articles/funland/vt001.htm

Similar concept.....

Cheers,

Jaffa23
Aussie Ride Broker

Post by Aussie Ride Broker »

That definately looks like Oz's Ghost Train

Australian's Leading Ride Broker
www.australianamusementbrokers.com.au(In Recess)
benclare

Post by benclare »

Sounds interesting! I normally shy away from ghost trains but I do like a ride with a difference and the standup version does sound something like that.
ozshowkid

Post by ozshowkid »

Yeah thats my familys ghost train, when it was at the melb show it was painted red.black.blue,yellow and green. Everything was these colours was a pretty good paint job only for those colours. It is Australian made and incidently Australia had the only two ghost trains the same as that up until 4-5 years ago when show west sold theres to China. It still travels with us all year round so you will see it again in one form or another. I will post a photo of it when i find it.

Cheers OZshowkid
come one, come all, come in its time for a showtime spin
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Great - thanks OZ!!!

Look forward to seeing it again one day!

Cheers,

Jaffa23
v8dodgem

Re: What was the name of,,,,,

Post by v8dodgem »

it was the nightmare used to go down back at melb show were wood chop is now