Bell's Turbo

v8dodgem

Re: Bell's Turbo

Post by v8dodgem »

tpa were looking at bringing back ther turbo with new open cars that i haved desighned for them ther turbo is still in good nic we ran it with 5 cars on each side for a while after train crash gee it was fast but it got put away down the back in grave yard would only need a new paint job and 10 cars to be going again or the new open cars would be awsome was a fast turbo even with all twenty cars was one of my favorites to work to
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

^noooooo.....I like the classic little 'hamburger' cages A LOT, even if they are kind of small. A lot of people say that rides like Turbo and the Zipper should have open style seating, but I don't agree!!!! The design of the the cages/cars/tubs has a lot to do with how they spin......to keep the ride experience true, they need to keep the original design including the seating. Please don't mess with a real classic. As an example, take the newer Zippers in America especially. They not only run a little slower but the cages are designed with more weight (from what I can tell) and therefore don't spin nearly as much continuously. Keep the rides design, with the same cars, then we can all enjoy the exact same Turbo ride experience again as it used to be years ago. I wouldn't enjoy riding it any other way, it would also destroy the good memories I have of it.
dell2006

Post by dell2006 »

V8dodgem, can you upload the design you have made?
v8dodgem

Post by v8dodgem »

yes wen i get them back
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Hey all, this vid could be an old one you've all seen before... But just incase some havent seen it, here it is... Nice hey...
Deefa, you'd remember seeing the turbo in its day set up at the pcyc usually a week or so before our show???? Thats my memory of it as a kid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvV7UR_r4x4
"Slingshot , Engage"
princess

Post by princess »

This was shot at Moore Park, aka Fox studios, Brookes had it at that stage, I remember it at RES Homebush, the last time it was there.
dell2006

Post by dell2006 »

Awesome video!!
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

[quote="Josh in Rocky"]
Deefa, you'd remember seeing the turbo in its day set up at the pcyc usually a week or so before our show???? Thats my memory of it as a kid...
Yes Josh, it was set up at Stapleton park the week before the Rocky show, usually for those who didn't go to the Gladstone show. The best thing about was it was free to get in. The last one must have been about 10-12 years ago now. Pacific Playground Amusements presented it, but was organised by the Short Family ("Old Man" Les Short). I remember Shorts' rides there as well as Brookes,Coney Fair gear,a Trabant once and Col Davis' Hurricane as well as a few others. Before the Rocky show started operating at nights, the Short family carnival used to pack up and operate at night at Kingel Park (opposite ambulance station) and then pack up again ready to work the Rocky show during the day. (talk about keen).I vaguely remember going there once or twice as a young'un. Were you aware of this Josh?..........Deefa.
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Geez, that might be too far back for me... :) Did they used to take a dodgem track there too? I remember as a kid thinking there was a canvas roof in there and used to crack up cause mum and dad wouldn't pull in when we drove past. Long time ago.. Only remember the Stapylton park carnival, but didnt know about the organisation etc...
Thanks for the insight mate...
"Slingshot , Engage"
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

i can remember advertisement on tv for the rides at stapleton park gee that was a while ago now
many years ago a small carnival set up in gladstone guess it was on there return down south to do the ekka and free entry was a bonus there too

i have vague memories of the rocky show having both turbo and also a similar ride called Orion i just can't remember if it had different cars or not it was so long ago maybe my memory fails me
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

TooHeyzz the Orion was an Enterprise. It's now in NZ under Mahon's. I have an old black and white photo of it somewhere.
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

ok maybe i got the name wrong but I'm sure turbo type ride operating at the rocky show in mid 70,s an they weren't both named turbo
ozrides

Post by ozrides »

CoinKing wrote:
princess wrote:
CoinKing wrote:its stuck on the docks
Is there something I am missing (be nice)??
it needed a new paint job so they sent it to Romanian

??? bells turbo is still in there yard in pieces, still waiting to be assembled. it has not had a paint job. bells dont have the time to put it back together while running all there other rides, Turbo may not be working anytime soon!!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh it's Elwin Jnr's ride. He is too busy working the No Limit. I did hear a while ago that Bell's still didn't have it put back together. I thought it may have been put back up by now
princess

Post by princess »

So nothing has changed, we wont be seeing it soon
redhot

Post by redhot »

princess wrote:So nothing has changed, we wont be seeing it soon
Looks that way doesn't it?
A shame, its a great ride that i'd love to go on again..
Carny's built this country, the carnival part of it anyway..."Homer Simpson"

dell2006

Post by dell2006 »

any one have any news if bells have been working on there turbo?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Wittingslow had a small coaster called TURBO always remember it at Rye back when I was a kid
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Any word on the Turbo's progress? I did read on the ride extravaganza site it was only weeks away from being on the road?

DEEFA.
Matt Diabolism

Post by Matt Diabolism »

Saw that...says Mildura will most likely be its first show,then Dandenong and Traralgon.Looks as though it was posted by a Bell family member.If it's legit,definitely something to look forward to :D
ImageImage
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

It is making progress, have seen a photo or two of it down at the farm. Have heard it will be having DC drive motors in instead of it being hydraulically driven, IMO from what I've seen of other rides being converted from hyrdaulic to DC drives doesn't give as good a ride. Positive for it though is that requires less power, smaller genie.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I don't think the AC drive will have any negative affect on the sensational Turbo experience. It's not based on direct acceleration of RPM. I have not seen Flashdance which seems to be the cause of complaint so I can't comment on that, but anyone ridden a Cha with AC drives? (more and more of them are converting) - I've ridden Travis Taylor's and let me tell you, that thing accelerates more than any hydraulic driven one I've experienced. AC drives make great sense all round - less maintenance, better power consumption, and in my experience, better aceleration!
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I have rode Trav Taylor's Cha Cha... and if you have read any of my reviews that thing is a BEAST! Flash Dance really does not run as well as it used to with Chant's, and to be honest... it doesn't thrill me anywhere near as much as Thunderbolt does. I sure miss that ride coming to Brisbane, Rock n Roll is good and all... but bring the bolt back!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Wave Swinger went from hydraulic to electric drives. Pretty sure Flashdancve and WaveSwinger have DC drive motors not AC? Was told DC drive motors are less responsive hence why both rides take ages to gain speed, I may be wrong just think it was something I heard.

Young's Cha is still hydraulically driven which gave a fantastic ride, fastest I've ever experienced. Our Cha (Better Amusement's) has the AC drive motor, haven't ridden it for years so can't compare the speeds or the experience to hydraulics
The Limit

Post by The Limit »

Adam the cup and saucer ride is fast for you