Info On Our Matterhorns

Mixerholic

Info On Our Matterhorns

Post by Mixerholic »

I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the Matterhorn, Thunderbolt or Rock & Roll.
I am a ride operators dream or nightmare...you decide.
Zamperla
Administrator

Re: Info On Our Matterhorns

Post by Zamperla »

Matterhorn - made by Sobema (early 70's?)
Thunderbolt - originally a park model at Grundy's Goldcoast, I think Garry O'Neill built some / all of it
Rock n Roll - made by Bertazzon
benclare

Post by benclare »

I think Sobima made Alpine Express too.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

As far as I am aware Alpine Express is also a Sobema model, and from what I have heard it has a rather interesting way of running if I am not mistaken. Someone probably knows more about it than I do (think saltwater...)

Dreamworlds Matterhorn (Tamed down like hell) is also a S.D.C model if I am not mistaken. I also could have sworn that Thunderbolt was a Sobema too. I know it has decals like the Chance models, but it's no where near as nasty looking. It may even be a Reverchon model too, maybe someone could find out for us??
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

Dreamworld's one is just pathetic!!!! Does the Matterhorn still do some small shows or has it retired? Also is Rock & Roll actually the "Fastest Matterhorn-type ride in Australia"? Also which is you're favourite Matterhorn?
princess

Post by princess »

Funny you should say that, when I was at RES, I was thinking that Rock n roll was going super fast, my thought was it was faster than any other of these similar rides, so now you have said that my own opinion is hell yeah
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

princess wrote:Funny you should say that, when I was at RES, I was thinking that Rock n roll was going super fast, my thought was it was faster than any other of these similar rides, so now you have said that my own opinion is hell yeah
Have you ridden it though. I think it's FREAKING INSANE!!!!! Apparently it does 120mph (193.1km/h) it's just awesome. If you haven't been on it just have a go because you won't regret it :D :D :D
princess

Post by princess »

No mixer, don't ride anymore, but I am a pretty good observer (now)
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

princess wrote:No mixer, don't ride anymore, but I am a pretty good observer (now)
That's cool. Just like me and the Pirate and some rides like Speed and No Limit (I really should suck it up and take those 2 on) :)
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Matterhorn was a clear winner overall.... It's a crime that Wittingslow let that thing go!
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

HUSSRAINBOW wrote:Matterhorn was a clear winner overall.... It's a crime that Wittingslow let that thing go!
Aaaah...memories. I miss the Matterhorn because it was violent and that's how ALL Matterhorn-type rides should be! I love Rock & Roll, but the only things I will criticize on are that the cars don't rock enough and that the ride cycles are just too damn quick! I mean seriously a 3min cycle.. I miss you Matterhorn because you gave long ride cycles and I loved the feeling of going over your supports.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Mixerholic wrote:
princess wrote:Funny you should say that, when I was at RES, I was thinking that Rock n roll was going super fast, my thought was it was faster than any other of these similar rides, so now you have said that my own opinion is hell yeah
Have you ridden it though. I think it's FREAKING INSANE!!!!! Apparently it does 120mph (193.1km/h) it's just awesome. If you haven't been on it just have a go because you won't regret it :D :D :D
Probably not, I was told that one year they got a police radar gun and clocked the speed of Bell's Thunderbolt. They got that at 160km/h that was back in the day when it had it's hydraulic drive. Doesn't operate as fast anymore which can be changed if they want to. I never got to try the Matterhorn but Thunderbolt cleans up over the Rock N Roll.

Zamperla, dunno if Garry O'Neill ever had anything to do with it?
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

I desperately wanna try the Matterhorn-middle child (that's what I call the Thunderbolt :) )
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Like I said was better back in the day, remember when the operator used to say "faster" you'd feel the ride jolt and get faster. Still one of the best rides in the country if you ask me. But yes definately give it a go, if you're willing to travel to Perth, Canberra, Adelaide or Bateman's Bay to try it :lol:
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Garry O'Neill definitely had involvement in it becoming trailerised. He quite possibly oversaw the building of the whole ride. I'm sure the NoLimit poster on here can confirm. The cars are definitely Reverchon style - but don't under estimate the resources back in the 80's for building rides completely in Aus.
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

Zamperla wrote:
Garry O'Neill definitely had involvement in it becoming trailerised. He quite possibly oversaw the building of the whole ride. I'm sure the NoLimit poster on here can confirm. The cars are definitely Reverchon style - but don't under estimate the resources back in the 80's for building rides completely in Aus.
So when was Thunderbolt made?
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Mixerholic wrote:I love Rock & Roll, but the only things I will criticize on are that the cars don't rock enough.
Its not all about speed. I don't like Rock and Roll for this exact reason. They run the thing so fast it loses the action this ride was made for. Might as well be an Explorer without the lift. I find it boring.
benclare

Post by benclare »

I think I have ridden every Matterhorn type ride in Australia and for atmosphere, Matterhorn takes the cake or at least it did, speed would have to be Thunderbolt but only slightly more than Rock-n-Roll IMO. The cars on Thunderbolt definitely swing more which is an extra thrill.

My first ever Matterhorn ride was way back in 1988. It was at the Royal Easter Show and I remember Susanne Vega was blasting out of the sound system. The Super Loop was located right next to it and you would hear the noise of it over the sound of everyone screaming on the Matterhorn; hugely loud but awesome atmosphere!

I also remember when the Thunderbolt, then named Cripton opened at Grundys. It was located in a newly built extension to the Paradise Centre where the waterslides used to be. It was on the top floor and surrounded by blass windows as I recall. I was there when they were building it and was one of the first to ride and it was great! It cost three tokens, approximately $2.00 per ride.

Grundys was a great park and one of my favourites. The Tilt was one of the fastest I've ever ridden and the fact it was indoors created a whole new atmosphere.
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-28.0026342, ... d=20111109

This round shape in the building was where the Matterhorn lived at Grundy's. It was a Red Rooster but not sure if it still is
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

My first Matterhorn experience was in 2002 at the Rye 2002/3 Carnival. 2 primary school mates and myself crammed ourselves into one of the cars and some how we managed to fit (back then I was a tubby kid) and we experienced the first half of the cycle and then they stopped it for about 2-5 minutes. They did this because there was a tear in the tent and they checked it out and questioned us and others about it, then they restarted the ride. It was awesome going backwards, back then it seemed inanely fast! It was even better having 3 primary school kids crammed in the car squeeling like little girls! That was the highlight of the night and also seeing the Zipper just randomly rocking up on it's trailer. This was on the first night and also it was the first time I ever got a wristband (it was an attendance award at Rye Primary). I miss those days 8)
The Limit

Post by The Limit »

Bell's removed the Thunder Bolt (Krypton) from Grundy's and sent it to Hesco in Mildura to redesign and trailerise. It first opperated under the "Thunder Bolt" name at Katherine Show 1994. The attached photo is from the Bateman's Bay Christmas Carnival 1994 before the panels and signage were added. oH and the tonne of lighting.

Hesco is the same company that built Bell's Paratrooper.

The Thunder Bolt was recently changed to AC because it is cleaner and it gives a more consistant ride cycle.
Attachments
Bell's Thunder Bolt 1994
Bell's Thunder Bolt 1994
ThunderBolt Christmas 1994.jpg (135.62 KiB) Viewed 17615 times
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

The Limit, thanks for the info! I didn't think that the Thunderbolt was around then, I thought it would've been the late 90's or very early 00's.
Mixerholic

Post by Mixerholic »

Has anyone worked on any of the matterhorns? If so I'd love to hear your stories!
tziolasamusements

Post by tziolasamusements »

i worked with wittingslow matterhorn owner colin brown travelling many shows
painass is to set up roof frame with start on first post 3 men hold for other post attach top frame which are heavy
good fun is jacking up top roof frame slowly
it always looked sh** hot at night the matterhorn
my mate got video of set up time laps at sydney easter show i ask him to send me then upload soon
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Awesome photo thanks mate. Think I recall hearing Hesco had something to do with the re-build. Any more photos of it back in the day would be good to see.