White Water World, Queensland, Australia - Opened December 2006
Zamperla
Administrator

Paralympian banned at WhiteWater World, Gold Coast

Post by Zamperla »

Paralympian banned at WhiteWater World
By Greg Stolz

October 23, 2008 11:00pm

AMPUTEE Steve Simmonds has swum at the Paralympics for Australia and won waterski titles – but he's banned from riding a Gold Coast theme park's waterslide.
Mr Simmonds, who has also walked the Kokoda Track, is angry and upset after being told he could not ride a WhiteWater World slide - or indeed any of the park's rides - with his five-year-old daughter.

"I lost my leg in an accident when I was six and this is the first time in my life that I've felt discriminated against," Mr Simmonds, 34, said.

The NSW holidaymaker was ordered off the rides when he and his family went to the Dreamworld water park on Wednesday.

"They told me I couldn't go on any of the rides because my $12,000 carbon-fibre prosthesis is classed as a metal object," he said. "I could have walked up the steps and taken my leg off but how would I have gotten my leg back to the bottom?

"The thing that annoys me the most is that with my artificial leg, I'm not disabled. It doesn't fall off so it can't hurt anyone."

princess

Post by princess »

This reminds me of when Ben was told he could not ride a ride at Luna Park, because he was blind, there really needs to be something done about this.
ridefan

Post by ridefan »

why would being blind stop ya from going on a ride thats dumb so dumb!
ridefan

Post by ridefan »

what would happen if he got his leg stuck some where down the slide i can kind get where they are going with that its a hard thing to deal with tho
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

is benclare blind..? How does he post on aaf?
princess

Post by princess »

Ridefan, he sure has hell aint going to break it, what if he got his good leg caught.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I can see the Park Staff's point of view and its all to with safety as always. But I'd be very upset if i was in his position and I had taken my family there for a great day out then the day ruined when being told you can't go on any attractions. Yes, it does kinda sound like Ben's poor incident at Luna Park
princess

Post by princess »

what it does come down to is, that the saftey of a person is paramount, so a decision must be made by the operator, as to the ability of the person to be safe on a ride and or other riders, it is up to the operator to care for the safety of all riders.

Still dont know why being blind would be a safety issue. :?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Apparently this happened on the "Super Tubes HydroCoaster" Ride. And because the uphill sections are powered by electromagnets, I can see why the staff said this.

Magnets + Metal = Enough Said.
princess

Post by princess »

Sorry, I am weird that I find that very funny. :?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Thats cause your just weird anyway :P I can see a little kid going after he rides...

"hey mum... I found a metal leg! Can I take it home as a souvenir"

And no... i'm not meaning to offend anyone by that.