'Ranger' to be replaced

Luna Park Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Hurricane

Re: 'Ranger' to be replaced

Post by Hurricane »

"From the 4th June the classic Wave Swinger will be returning to Luna Park. The last time Wave Swinger was at Luna Park Sydney was back in the 1980s so make sure you don't miss out."

http://www.lunaparksydney.com/visitor_i ... index.html
princess

Post by princess »

Got to luv a sense of humour. While I was at Sydney this year I actually made a comment in my review that Ranger was not working or had no riders when I was there.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Double ranger was out of action on the day you were there I found out - what a pity or you may have been able to ride it?! :lol:
princess

Post by princess »

Oh you are soooo funny Zamperla, :wink: :D
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Hey princess, if I come to RES or you come to Ekka. Did you wanna ride Hard Rock with me again :)
princess

Post by princess »

Sure will Hurri, have you ridden XXXL yet?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Yeah, I think you could do it honestly Princess. It's not as bad as it looks. But just depends on the Cycle I guess.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Try XXXL if you can princess, it's a great ride for sure!

Personally I am thrilled to bits the Wave Swinger is returning to Luna Park. I have often said an attraction like that would go well there and not just during the holidays! Also, it operates fairly quietly which should please the local residents. I'll be sure to head down there for a ride before I head off overseas later in June.
PNC

Post by PNC »

i was told today that it is only there until next easter, probably due to the position on sydney show, it is a great ride and i am sure it will be a great addition to the park
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes the ride is in there long term until next year and is getting it's refurb. New decks, more paintwork and I'm sure will be popular while there. Think the last show Wave Swinger did was Hawkesbury, didn't make Grafton the weekend after due to the truck which carries the lighting, decorated panels etc broken down.
robbo

Post by robbo »

So, any pics or news of how it's going?
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

Is this Marchs wave swinger?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

The Wave Swinger in Question IS March's Hurricane.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

What's March's Hurricane got to do with their Waveswinger or LPS?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Whoops... I meant wave swinger... my bad... :oops:
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

Yeah Lukes got pics of his wave swinger at luna park on face book.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Waveswinger has been going well in the park apparently which is good news for March's and LPS. And the Ranger is getting a major refurb which apparently is costing LPS alot of $$$, but great to hear they aren't getting rid of it and giving the classic a new lease of life. Let's hope they're not trying to silent the ride's drive motors anymore than what they are. Anyway here's those few photos of the Waveswinger in action:
30061_397902621724_630611724_4326254_7761928_n.jpg
30061_397902621724_630611724_4326254_7761928_n.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
30061_397902881724_630611724_4326260_1147441_n.jpg
30061_397902881724_630611724_4326260_1147441_n.jpg (70.34 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
30061_397903076724_630611724_4326263_802346_n.jpg
30061_397903076724_630611724_4326263_802346_n.jpg (69.17 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
Photos courtesy of Luke Hennessy

PS: look closely in the first photo, you can see the boat for the Ranger on it's trailer
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Wow, those LED's look good! It wouldn't surprise me to see March's do that considering they recently decked out their Hurricane with new LED's
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I was told over the weekend that the Ranger was being put through test runs last Friday and will be re-opening this friday. Good to hear the re-furb got done quicker than expected as they were aiming to have it open by the christmas holidays.

The back-drop has been re-painted which looks like the only cosmetic work done. Most of the re-furb was going through all the mechanical aspects of the ride.

Found a few photos on the Parkz forums of the ride put back together, mostly of the boat being put back on and a few others:

And the ride just about complete:

Photos courtesy of "Ranger dude" on www.parkz.com.au/forums
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

amazing photos!
lame backdrop though..... could of had a space theme, not some silly moon with a telescope in its eye...
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

There's a bit more to it than that, was reading on parkz that the backdrop hasbeen inspired from a famous French silent movie from 1902 called, "A Trip To the Moon"

Must admit I'm not a fan either...
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Great photos. She's looking good. I was at the park on Saturday night during a very quick visit to Sydney - a week too soon, to see Ranger operating. First time I'd ever been at the park with the Wild Mouse operating. Gave a great ride too, barely any braking. My highlight of the night was riding the HUSS UFO (Flying Saucer). I'd never seen the park so busy and the ride was 90% full. Boy that thing picks up pace quickly. I lured my friend to get on with me, she had her eyes closed the whole time and there is no way she would've rode it if she had've seen what it did first. The park was looking good, I don't think I could notice a single light out on the Ferris Wheel. March's Waveswinger is also looking nice, and seemed pretty popular.

I've been told Ranger is getting some minor electrical issues sorted out before it re-opens.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

yeah, i actually had a look at my luna park dvd and book, and there is a mention about that film... showing that image..... very cool, but still doesn't look amazing on the backdrop

kinda wish it would get sold to a showman :-(
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

Top Gunner14 wrote:There's a bit more to it than that, was reading on parkz that the backdrop hasbeen inspired from a famous French silent movie from 1902 called, "A Trip To the Moon"

Must admit I'm not a fan either...
Yes that was me. I posted that info about "A Trip to the Moon" on Parkz. I feel that at least now the ride is being given a consistent theme. IE Ranger is now a Space ship that is taking its passengers to the moon. There is some suggestion that Luna Park may be utilising this backdrop further around the park, as the motif appears on the barricades in front of Ranger. This would tie in nicely with the overall theme of " LUNA Park" and also ties in nicely with the venerable Mr Moon character that is being used to this day.
HUSSRAINBOW wrote:amazing photos!
lame backdrop though..... could of had a space theme, not some silly moon with a telescope in its eye...
Gee its nice to comment before having ALL the information at hand.....lol!!
HUSSRAINBOW wrote:yeah, i actually had a look at my luna park dvd and book, and there is a mention about that film... showing that image..... very cool, but still doesn't look amazing on the backdrop

kinda wish it would get sold to a showman :-(
And now the image is cool. Right..... Ok. :-)
The Ranger is fine where it is. Its great to have a place in Australia that has the biggest collection of Huss rides in one place. It is also gratifying to see that they have given it the TLC that such a fine ride deserves. Its about time that LPS put some funds back into the rides that they do have. Some extra theming would be pleasing, even if only every ride in the place was to recieve a themed bridge. This would break up the temporary feel of the rides and would go a long way in restoring some of the original "fun park" appeal of yesteryear. For starters the restoration of the Tumblebug and Spider facades from the '95 incarnation would do nicely..
And as I have stated on the Parkz forum, install a S&S El Loco coaster next to Tumblebug, call it "The Wildcat" and a couple of decent flats (try for unique-The Zamperla Disk' O Coaster springs to mind any other suggestions?? :shock: ) and the park would be doing very nicely for itself!!
Simple goals that could come to fruition and would improve the park tenfold!!
Cheers
Jobius