help with photos

PNC

help with photos

Post by PNC »

im chasing some photos of ferrari 500's, preferably carricks old set now owned by John Roberts
kiwi

New Zealand Ferrari 500's

Post by kiwi »

Sorry I can't be of any help with tracks in Australia, but heres some from the past in New Zealand

When they first arrived on the old Electric Speedway Track

Many years ago now

Another track from a South Island operator

Enjoy
Kiwi
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Not sure if I can help with the photos, will have a look, I think they might've been at Royal Easter (in which case I do have a few photos)

Question Kiwi - what lead to the demise of the "electric" speedway? I would've thought this to be an exellent alternative to the costs involved in 2-stroke powered engines. I know Melb Luna Park used to have an electric speedway. Now days, the dodgems at the park are run with an electrified floor and pickups on the underside of the cars. (no overhead wire)
kiwi

Electric Speedway

Post by kiwi »

Unfortanely it all happened well before my time, I will try and find out more.

I do know from the one occasion I helped put the Electic Speedway up in park some years ago, it involved a lot of work and time to move. Nor did the electrical people really like the method of how it ran, bit dangerous in their opinions.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

OK. I know the Italian SDC & Bertazzon floor pick-up system occurs along strips which are about a metre apart, the pickups must be arranged on the underside of the car so it is always touching at least 2 at a time. I.e. you would need to fall out of the car AND space exposed limbs one metre apart to probably get a jolt (I wasn't going to find out through trial and error)

Another question - with the full electrified floor of these old systems, what would happen if it rained on the track? (I have seen photos of electric speedways being used without a canopy cover)

Thanks for taking the time to post those photos Kiwi.
kiwi

Speedway track

Post by kiwi »

I believe they are run at 110v which makes a difference. Staff in the know would always make sure you were only on the wooden strips so they were fine.

Rain, I don't really know sorry.
kiwi

Electric Speedway

Post by kiwi »

Just some more pics of the Electric Speedway, with orginal cars adn Ferrari 500's
After being set up at Fantasyland Hastings in the late 1990's

After the first import of Ferrari 500's

Very early on