Luna Park Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Zamperla
Administrator

Memorial honours for victims

Post by Zamperla »

Memorial honours for victims
ANDRE KHOURY

29Aug07

MORE than 28 years on, the victims of the ghost train fire tragedy at Luna Park have finally been honoured with the unveiling of a sculpture and a new park at Lavender Bay.

The memorial park was opened by relatives of the victims at a private and solemn ceremony on Saturday.

The major feature of the park, named Art Barton Park after renowned artist of Luna Park Arthur Barton, is a small bronze sculpture, designed by cartoonist Michael Leunig and sculpted by Lavender Bay artist Peter Kingston.

Seven rose bushes, one for each of the victims, were planted by relatives during the ceremony.

Mr Kingston said the day was a fitting tribute to the victims.

``The families couldn't be happier,'' Mr Kingston said.

``The park's gone over as a real treat.''

The inscription on the memorial reads: To all those who take refuge in this place to make a small commitment to the protection of children as they play.

The names of the victims are inscribed on the front of the memorial.

The sculpture features a man with a tea pot on his head pouring into a tea cup and saucer on another man's head.

``It's a children's sculpture,'' Mr Kingston said. ``It's someone helping someone out.''

The 1979 fire killed seven people, including six children.

North Sydney Mayor Genia McCaffery said: ``I'm sure Luna Park will always hold the most painful memories for the relatives but at least now they have a space near the park that is peaceful and contemplative''.

Cr McCaffery said Mr Kingston should be congratulated for his ``vision and drive'' that helped the park, formerly an unkempt and overgrown area of prime harbour-front land, become a reality.

``And it was Peter's hand that skilfully realised Michael Leunig's sketch for the memorial,'' she said.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

That;s nice 2 hear that they made a memorial garden. That was very sad when that happened. I wasn't around back then but i remember my dad tellin' me a couple of years back. I was very suprised when he told me

Cheers
Top Gunner14