2007/08 Xmas Carnivals

Public Forum
princess

2007/08 Xmas Carnivals

Post by princess »

Just thought I would create a different Topic for this years xmas carnivals, on this subject, the Brighton Festival, has been cancelled by the Rockdale Council, due to residents complaints, regarding unruly behaviour, this was a Durkin Carnival, which has been going as long as 30 years, that I can remember, along with the defunct Coogee Christmas Carnival, these two carnivals hold special memories for me, very sad to see another Christmas carnival disappear from Sydney.

As far as I am concerned, this area of Brighton is busy, all through summer, right into the late night, (I travel past this spot mostly on weekends very late at night) with people having bbq's, or generally just hanging around, with their cars, this is the place where the council tried to discourage people congregating, by playing Barry Manilow music, at night, you would have thought that the residents would have complained about that, I know I would have, so as far as I am concerned, the Carnival was not really the problem, it was just something council could look like it was trying to help the residents, but really not doing anything at all. (typical)
Last edited by princess on Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thats a real shame. Brighton does get busy and im sure durkins make alot of money there over the period they r there
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

maybe durks can come down and do a melbourne show.... would love to see chaos or something at rye haha
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yes this is a real shame and the carnival was not the cause of the antisocial behaviour in Brighton-le-sands as it attracted many families with young children to the area.

Sydney has lost just about all of its carnivals; I know Warriwood is still going and I think there's a small one that runs in Merrylands Park out near Parramatta, featuring a Parratrooper, Cha Cha and sometimes a Music Trip. I'm not sure whose rides do this carnival. Does anyone know of any others?

As for me, as discussed elseware on this forum, I'm off to Coffs Harbour for a few days before Christmas for some R and R after my upcoming trip to Papua New Guinea where I'll be flat out. I'm looking forward to riding the Space Ball, March's Wave Swinger amongst other attractions up there. I may also head over to Warriewood as I did earlier this year and maybe Wollongong too to ride the Rainbow. Would love to catch up with some AAF members! :)
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Warriewood, will do the full list soon:
Slingshot
Insanity
F1 Euroslide
Paratrroper
Hard Rock
Cha Cha
and others will put up the full list soon
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Possible line up for Nelsons Bay:
Mega Drop
Haunted Mansion
Sizzler
Zoomer
Top Gun
Dodgems
Crazy Rider
Kids Rides
princess

Post by princess »

The other question that arises is, will Bells put up Turbo, at Batemans Bay?
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I have a good feeling they will. Talkin to the workers at hawkesbury and they were confident here's actual narrabeen line up (Thanx to Ashley 4 sendin me the info)

Operating from Dec 14th till Jan 13th 08.

Slingshot
Insanity
Hard rock
Paratrooper
Cha Cha
Breakdance
Bungy Tramps
Dodgem Cars
Looney Bin
Giant Slide
Rock Wall
Kids Rides

Fireworks
New Years Eve
12th January

Cheers
Top Gunner14
zipperdude22

Post by zipperdude22 »

kiama will have its chritmas carnival as usaual not shure what the line up will be yet i hope the turbo dose go to Batmens Bay i really want to ride it as evrybody else on this forum!
ride the zipper!!
benclare

Post by benclare »

Good lineup for Narrabeen/Warriewood and thanks for letting us know Topgunner. I do recommend visiting it before 31 December as it seems rides start leaving Boondah Reserve after the New Year. I went on January 6 this year and the only rides left were Hard Rock, Topgun and the Cha Cha. I think Insanity and Breakdance were there before then; I sure was disappointed to miss them as Dad and I drove a long way to go to that carnival...
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

No probs ben. Ashley who owns the top gun will send me sum pics of the 1st nite there this year. Breakdance was at kiama last yr and insanity didn't operate. U also missed the ex durkins hurricane. Shame top gun won't b there. And there r talks of twin flip goin 2 luna park 4 xmas

Cheers
Top Gunner14
benclare

Post by benclare »

Great news about the TF maybe heading to LPS! I had thought Power Surge and Speed would be going there again; it's good to have a change.

I may head there too over the Christmas holidays although I've sort of soured on the place a little as the operators have stopped me from going on the rides on my own. Last time I was there, I was about to get on one of the rides when the operator said I wasn't abel to ride alone because of my disability. It was sort of embarrassing as she kicked me off the ride in front of everyone after she madly looked through the manual to see what the rules on disabled riders was. I got my money back which was something. The carnival ride operators are totally cool about me riding alone and are always mega friendly and a heap of fun. I guess LPS were afraid I'd sue the place which of course I wouldn't. Anyway, such is life. :)
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I never knew u had a disability. Real sorry to here that. Twin flip maybe going not sure yet. I'm sure speed will go again. I think power surge mite b going to the joylands xmas carnival at huskison in jervis bay on the south coast. They used to hav shockwave go but they usually take heaps of kids rides, round up, cha cha, dodgems, giant slide. Not a great carnival but ok. I'll be going there probably and i'll take a couple of photos and see wats there. But i also read in the outdoor showmen that there was an advertisement seeking operators to bring there rides to LPS for the holiday carnivals. Now the only thrill rides they hire out from joylands now are hurricane, cha cha and power surge. Shockwave and dominator have been sold so they're lookin 4 rides. Bit funny i thought

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Ben that is a very frustrating post to read at how poorly that LPS worker dealt with you riding - but in some respects does not surprise me with the legal obligations hounded into park staff. I know you being blind would not have stopped you at Melb Luna Park or a number of other parks in Aus, as you are able to sit upright and unassisted - that is the essence of the criteria when dealing with the many people who may have an impairment. Perhaps that girl had not been working at the park long - it is a worry with the lack of confidence many park workers display when compared with travelling operators. Annoying that you also know more about those rides than all those LPS ride operators put together!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

U r right zamp. I'm so sorry to hear that. It was a bit disturbing 4 me 2 read it too
PNC

Post by PNC »

im sure power surge will be at LPS, the rest of better amusements gear will be at there carnival
princess

Post by princess »

That is absolutely disgusting Ben, how embrassing for you, the stupid thing is, you could probably sue them for the embrassment they caused you and not to forget discrimination against the disabled, its not like you were going on with a wheelchair, if I were you I would give them a call and discuss this with their management, to clarify exactly what the rules are, she should of at least discussed this with her supervisor. :twisted: :evil: :roll: :evil:
benclare

Post by benclare »

Thanks for the support guys. :D :) The worst thing was the total indifference of the operator. I'm sure most staff there are really friendly, just not her. Bell's and other carnival operators have no trouble with me riding much faster and thrilling rides than what's on offer at Luna Park.

Anyway, getting back on topic... Does anyone know what's appearing at Port Macquarie? I may check it out on my way back from Coffs if it's worthwhile which I think it is.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I was talkin 2 the PS operators and they were sayin it mite b at carnival. Joylands never take hurricane 2 the carnival.
ozshowkid

Post by ozshowkid »

Port Macquarie:cha cha, night mare ghost train, dodgem cars, paratrooper, rok n rol, music trip, giant slide, hurricane, spider, ferrari 500's, tilt a whirl, games and kiddies rides.
Coffs Harbour: cha cha, dodgem cars, matterhorn, zipper, cyber party,wave swinger, giant slide, hurricane, plus more and i nearly forgot this will be where the SKY WALKER makes it's debut in Australia.

Cheers OZshowkid
come one, come all, come in its time for a showtime spin
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Sky Walker is the new KMG Tango. It has a star wars theme and is the first model of its type 2 be built in the world. Its the superior model and is the better model. It has all LED lighting and everything is better than the normal models. Port Maqurie and Coffs sound like they'll b great. Isn't space ball goin 2 coffs?
CoinKing

Post by CoinKing »

star wars theme ahahhahahahaha
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Why clay, do u like star wars? R there any xmas carnivals over in WA? Id think showest do a big one
CoinKing

Post by CoinKing »

personally i think star wars is outdated.
theirs actually no christmas carnivals here in wa but their is 1 or 2 week -long carnivals in early january.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

From the photos of "Sky Walker" That I have seen... the ride looks top notch, I for one will be looking forward to heading down to Coffs in January to ride this beast.