Dreamworld's Newest ride is on a mission to shock!

Dreamworld, Queensland, Australia
Hurricane

Dreamworld's Newest ride is on a mission to shock!

Post by Hurricane »

"You search for something to grip, somewhere to plant your feet, but there’s nothing, just a single harness pinning you into the seat as you bravely face your mission, to feel the surge and ride the wave of Dreamworld’s newest adventure ride, Shockwave.

Dreamworld’s latest addition to more than 30 rides, attractions and shows, Shockwave is a daunting sight along the park’s Ocean Parade. One hundred and fifty tonnes of steel, a massive turbine disc and the looming rises and dips of Shockwaves vivid green track are enough to send the weak stomached running for the merry-go-round, and challenge the bravest of action seekers.

As you make your way onto the huge 24 person ride disc, grab some seats with your family or your mates and cast your eyes onto the terrified faces of the spectators below. Don’t be fooled as the disc cranks to life, it only takes a few moments before the initial gentle sways to take a turn for the worse and become 360 degree spins of fury.

At full speed you’ll be propelled at over 50kph down a 63m long wave-like track that plunges and climbs, so one second you feel completely weightless and the next the full load of gravity takes hold, all while circling at 12 revolutions per minute at up to 2.5Gs.
Open to guests for the June/July school holiday period, Shockwave is an electrifying and fun open air adventure that promises to leave you spinning."

Shockwave Ride Facts:

Ride Capacity: 24 riders per cycle
Ride Time: 90 seconds
Construction: 150 tonnes of steel, 400 tonnes of concrete, 9 tonnes of carriage
Cycle Time: 4 minutes
Track Length: 63 metres
Max Speed: 54kph
Acceleration: 0.2G – 2.5G
Disk Rotation: 12 RPM
Restraints: Single Back, Dual Locked Safety Restraint
Manufacturer: Zamperla based in Vicenza, Italy
Model: Disk'o Coaster
Rider Guidelines: Must be over 120cm
HUSSRAINBOW

Re: Dreamworld's Newest ride is on a mission to shock!

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

stupid boring disk'o .... huge waste of money
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Apparently the Disk'o Coaster is alot better than the much smaller travelling model that we have. I'm waiting to see how it is before passing judgement.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

would be cool if it went higher... much higher
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

From reading that press release I'd say they have ordered the longer track with the hump in the middle.

Will be something like this

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

It is the same model type as Dave has shown, so it should be decent.
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

This is great news!! Australia has been slow behind the rest of the world to catch up in getting Disk O's into our parks and this will make three!! I am excited that this model is to be a Disko Coaster, this should be excellent!! I rode the travelling unit at LPS and found it to be a very decent attraction, great family unit, of which great popularity was certainly displayed at the RES, despite misgivings about the ride by members on this board!! I always maintained that this would have been a perfect ride for either Luna Park to invest in. Bring it on I say!! This is good news for Dreamworld and we can all hope that their 2nd major thrill attraction to open this year is just as good!!

Cheers
Jobius
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

would be cool if they actually made a coaster, that would be pretty fun
benclare

Post by benclare »

I agree with you Jobius. The Disk'o described for DW sounds quite diffeerent to the traveling model and I'd sure love to try it! Ninety seconds sounds a bit short for a ride cycle. Dream World should give riders two or three goes per cycle I reckon! It's often a problem with theme parks, the ride duration is much shorter than carnival rides. I haven't been to DW for absolutely ages but might be there in August, fingers crossed for that and visiting the Ekka!
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

They are already TV advertising a new ride coming in September!
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

The new attraction for September is "Buzzsaw" which is a Mauer Sohne Skyloop. 60m high!
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

I found a Video of a 45m Mauer Sohne Skyloop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjH3IGnygO8
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

I wonder if they are going to use the last free side on the tower for this ride. The original plan was to have the Tower come from the other side but was going to be costly to develop the swampland behind Blue Lagoon (old water park area) and ended up killing the 1930's vintage car theme with a futuristic ride screaming above the track (this was the start of all proper themed areas demise in the park).
After costing a pretty penny to build the tower it was always on the cards to have more than one ride attached to it and now with Blue Lagoon gone it does leave a big empty space free down there. I dare say it will go in the already cleared area of the old Thunderbolt.
Movieworld better pull their finger out.....cause 2 new rides in 1 year is making them look pretty average!
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Buzzsaw is going out the front of the park where the Helipad used to be and will be part of Gold Rush country. Warner Bros Movie World IS building a new attraction with the announcement in the coming weeks, Sea World also has an announcement coming up soon. From what I have heard from Movie World the attraction will be decent as well.