Spruking

Public Forum
princess

Spruking

Post by princess »

When I was at Ekka yesterday I was trying to put my finger on what was missing from the numerous joints, then I realised that it was the art of spuking and working a crowd, this is an art, which is no longer happening, there was only one guy who I heard cracking a joke with the passers by, engaging the public is a key to getting a crowd, all the other people were just saying "do you want a go", hello, no I dont, but engage me in some sort of banter or flattery and I probably would part with my money, eventually (it would take a bit, let me add) what happened to giving someone cheek, (the nice kind) the only other person I saw a couple of years ago, who managed to draw a crowd worked for TPA on their fire engine joint, I believe one of Emily Picketts many relatives, she was awesome, people were enjoying listening to her which got her joint working, so now do we have to send kids to Uni to learn this craft.

Just so you dont think I am talking through my hat, I spent a few capitals and carnivals doing this I loved spruking, cheek was all a part of it, having an ability to reach people, with a sense of fun, so how do you pass this on today, or has the public become cynical and harder to have fun with.

Anyone else got an opinion on this, it may seem little, but to me it is a dying art that should be revived. Lets also remember, for those of us who can, the Sharman boxing tents and the crowds they used to draw, it was all in the spruking or Vanessa the undresser, titilating, exciting, BRING IT BACK.
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

i don really have an opionion thats nice i can see the advantages and disAdvantages of spruiking i myself don have a problem with it but its when u poach people from a ride que that is not on ya side of the street and are making it known then thats wrong.
zipperdude22

Post by zipperdude22 »

it dose seem like a art i wonder if you have ever lured me in princess? lol but i for one will not spend a cent at joint at a show annymore when i did when i was younger i never one annything big i ohnestly belive some them are riged lol but i dont think this applys with just at shows people who collect for charites in the city are good at it but i myself have perfected a art of kindly saying no thanks lol, i have nothing againts joints at shows i recon the really add to the atmoshphere id just rather spend money on the rides!
ride the zipper!!
princess

Post by princess »

No Zipperdude you would have been safe from me, lol, it was a long time ago. I understand you not wanting to spend your money, there was definitely a problem with some games not winning, but this has changed some what, showmen now realise that if people are seen to be winning, they attract more people, it does not always pay to cheat, though in saying that, it is not easy either.
Vee

Post by Vee »

princess wrote:or has the public become cynical and harder to have fun with.
To a small extent, I think yes, but the main problem is the quality of staff operating these attractions. It takes time and a bit of training for most people to come out of their shell and engage the crowd like they need to.
princess wrote:No Zipperdude you would have been safe from me, lol, it was a long time ago. I understand you not wanting to spend your money, there was definitely a problem with some games not winning, but this has changed some what, showmen now realise that if people are seen to be winning, they attract more people, it does not always pay to cheat, though in saying that, it is not easy either.
I don't believe the games are rigged, at least none of the ones I've run were. It's also back on the staff having the permission and confidence to make somebody win for the benefit of the crowd. When a 10 year old kid takes down a stack of tins with an air-rifle and 3 corks - you watch all the 20 year olds standing around or passing by try win a big teddy bear for their girlfriends, etc.
princess

Post by princess »

Vee I know for a fact that this did happen, but it was a very long time ago and as I stated that this practice, has ended, though I cannot help feeling a little uneasy, but that is my own s--t.

This was not meant to be what I was talking about anyway, yes it does take time to get comfortable with a mike, but it comes down to personality as well, its to me, is all about, what I see as a dying art.
illusions

Post by illusions »

Its not a dying art you walk down side show alley you can always here people calling out but as vee said its just the confidence issue with some people!!!
illusions
princess

Post by princess »

Its just not calling out Illusions. anyone can do that and still not do it well. believe me I have heard some absolute shockers, that make me want to run the other way, its not just confidence its a craft.
illusions

Post by illusions »

princess anyone can sprook it just takes time to practice its not hard at all
illusions
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Agreed, almost anyone can sprook, but it takes a special talent to do it properly, IMO - to really work the crowd. Most of this talent was lost with the end of the boxing and freakshow era, where spruking was the art in getting people to queue up. Reputed talent like Roy Bell, and the still travelling Fred Brophy comes to mind. Nowdays, rides have taken up the space they once occupied, and the machines spruke for themselves with the lights, music and sights they present.

Princess was this along the lines of the point you were making?
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

its really not hard to spruke but its just how u play the crowd if u look like ya dead beat and don no wat u r doin then u wont bring em in. its really not hard. obviously the people that r trying to say its hard know sfa.
Vee

Post by Vee »

Zamperla wrote:Princess was this along the lines of the point you were making?
I think so, anyone can stand there and tell people what the game is, how to play and take their money - it's the real spruker that draws the crowd and makes them want to play and pay
illusions

Post by illusions »

all very good points but all im saying is its not are dying art i think that spruking has changed to accomidate the younger generation and the times. Finally anyone can do it ok, it may sound like yelling and screaming to some people but at least there having a go..... Its Just Practice.[/img][/list]
illusions
princess

Post by princess »

Thank you Zamperla and Vee, that is the point I was making, sorry it was not clear enough, yes the old time spruking has gone, sorry you are not getting my point Illusions, anyone can yell you are quite right.
PNC

Post by PNC »

i had dinner with a great spruiker at the bundy air show, i have since been told he was one of the best
benclare

Post by benclare »

I think you all make excellent points here. I hardly ever spend money on sideshow games and stuff like that as most are too visual for me but years ago when spruking was more widespread, I was usually persuaded into giving something a go, even if I totally lost out, it was all fun and I did win a camera once from a Pavier's game which was so cool!

I think one problem with today is that many of the games rely on prerecorded messages, many American voices trying to attract your attention. Most of it is so loud it is difficult to hear what's being said, especially when a whole heap of games are operating right next to one another. Just lately I've heard some American voice saying over and over again how nice the traditional American doughnuts are and how cheap it is to taste one. I sure feel sorry for the showies working that stall as the recording repeats itself every few seconds or so; no doubt they know the speel off by heart! :)
little bit

Post by little bit »

so true ben the canteen i worked in had an aweful recording so bad that other showies would complain. i know the whole thing by heart and i think alot of other people do to. when i am working a joint or a canteen i love to have a bit of fun and make a bit of a wally out of myself thats what its all bout. it seems these days people just dont put there heart into it.
princess

Post by princess »

Thats right Little Bit, having a bit of fun is exactly what you want the customers to have, so you have to give out to get back, someone give me a mic. ) lol :lol: I want another turn. (only kidding)