Ekka 2007

princess

Ekka 2007

Post by princess »

Seems that I will again be in Qld, around the time of the Ekka, what about any other interstate visitors, get on line and check out the fares to Brisbane. I love Brisvegas, it is my hometown.

Hurricane start saving your money.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

LOL... Okies this time... I actually want to be able to afford to ride Taipan :P

I wonder if Insanity is going to be at EKKA this year? Possibly even Cyber Party or Flash Dance!
Mattie
Super Administrator

Post by Mattie »

Princess, we are always happy to have you in Brissy and anybody else for that matter.

Cant believe its only a few months away. Bring it on.
Founder / Editor
Australian Amusement Fanatics
kiwi

New rides

Post by kiwi »

Are their any new rides expected this year??

Cheers
Kiwi
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

EKKA dates please? - I quickly answered my own question:

9th to 18th August

I am hoping Cyber Party will make a long-awaited EKKA debut. There seem to be a few new rides to Australia floating around Brissie including a US-made Wisdom Miami.
princess

Post by princess »

I may up the anti and ride something different (not Zipper, in case some of us wanted to go over old ground), I think Mega Drop and even a Matterhorn, Lol I know some of you are thinking big deal, but you have no idea, as you get older fear seems to definitely take over. :cry:
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Mind over matter, Princess. Let the Zipper be your friend.
PNC

Post by PNC »

that wisdom miami is owned by kay dee promotions
benclare

Post by benclare »

I reckon that Mega Drop is bloody scary and maybe even faster than Dream World's Giant Drop. Have I started a fierce debate here? :lol: Anyway Princess, if you can't stomach the Zipper, perhaps you could try that new Miami if it gets to Ekka or the Syber Party.

I just may have to take a sicky and fly up for the day to check out this awesome Show.
kiwi

Wisdom Miami

Post by kiwi »

Would love any pics of this ride. From photo's I have seen out of the States I havn't been too impressed with the overall finish of them.

Cheers
Kiwi
PNC

Post by PNC »

i got some pics on the work computer, i dont think he would bother with the ekka, i personally think our dominator looks better, and we did pretty poor at melbourne
PNC

Post by PNC »

here is a pic of it straight off the website

Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

PNC, thanks for that info and pic.

Kiwi, agreed. Wisdom's are not quite as flashy or as well-built as European equivalents.
Last edited by Zamperla on Wed May 30, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
princess

Post by princess »

I was amazed at how many joints there were at the Ekka last year,I felt they could have fitted in a couple of more rides. The carnival area appeared to be smaller than Sydney,( in Sydney there are two carnival areas) but at the Ekka it was just stuffed with joints, Queensland must be a gambling state, does anyone else have an opinion on this.
PNC

Post by PNC »

i have heard the ekka isnt a great show for rides, and the rent is to high in comparison, so operators might be trying to squeeze more things into the same space as a ride, but i really have no idea, i would love to see a few more rides.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

PNC I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there.

Princess, I had not noticed so much, but after you pointed it out, I have to agree with you.

I would say there would be noticably fewer rides than Melbourne, and moreso to Royal Easter. (Princess you have been spoilt being a Sydney-sider) though back in the Wittingslow golden era, Melb probably had a fair few more than Sydney.

Having said that, for EKKA, all the majors are there, it is more a matter of less duplication and less amounts of kiddy rides by comparison to other capitals. (could it also be the tight space of the new EKKA grounds?) - another matter could be the earth weight limits to the ground - Mattie knows a little about this, as will OzShowkid - one year a large number of heavy rides had to be moved once set-up, due to structural earth limits of the freeway tunnel which carves directly under sideshow alley.
princess

Post by princess »

There are few rides that have to have geo tech reports done on the ground before they set up and not just in Brisbane the new Wheel from Holland for one, good point Zamperla,

As for all the major rides being there, yes you are right, but it would look a whole lot better if the joints were broken up a little, you can walk nearly a whole row of just joints, both sides. Suppose they dont really care.

Yes I am spoilt, but surly they can do something.

As for Ozshowkid, he was mentioning that his computer was not working well, we hope you get it working again soon, we miss your input.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Great observations guys!

I'm fairly sure Adelaide's carnival area is about the same size as Ekka's but some of the attractions are packed very tightly due to the creation of a kids carnival and the removal of the Mad Mouse and other small rides from the top of the building. Now we learn that coaster is being taken down for good and the grounds are being upgraded as several others have recently. Perhaps Scorpion SA could let us know what improvements are made when the Royal Show runs this year.
PNC

Post by PNC »

id personally like to see a bigger dodgem track at ekke like the one in melbourne, and there is alot more space in the areas that they try to make the kids carnival, but it all depends on the money in the end, if i ever happen to buy one of the major rides that i want i will certainly do the ekka, one day LOL
ride freak

Post by ride freak »

i have never been to the ekka in my life hoping to go this year any one know if the turbo frequents it i have never ridden it and want to lol im looking forward to going have only been to the gympie show in my home town so i cant wait lol but if any one knows if the turbo might make an appearance pls let me know lol its on my to do list before i die type thing lmao
princess

Post by princess »

Lol ridefreak, you and everyone else is wondering about Turbo, I doubt it will be in Brisbane, but you never know, come on Bells, put these people out of their misery. :roll: :lol:
ride freak

Post by ride freak »

yes come on bells please!!! please!! please!!! bring turbo lol
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Isn't there a rule with EKKA that rides over 30 years old can't operate there?
PNC

Post by PNC »

is that true? i didnt read any sarcasm there, thats a bloody stupid rule in my opinion, sydney show should make a classis ride section with old favourites, when that happens the popular turbo might make a comeback, i am very interested in seeing this ride, could also have a sizzler, zipper, para trooper, octopus, superloop and round up, im sure there are a heap of other old rides that were great in their hay day that could fill a fair good amount of space as well.

i dont think it would be worth doing at any other show, could just be a single year special attraction, most of these types of rides are still operating somewhere or in good enough condition to operate among each other, unfortunately none of these would hold up against the new rides
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Hmmm... I have been told by someone about it but it's not confirmed, I would suggest contacting the RNA about it.