EKKA 2007 REVEIW!

Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Princess, good to hear you made it to EKKA - I had heard from numerous sources that crowds were well-down. I think it was a combination of the bad press it got due to the flu, and also a matter of affordability for families, where shows these days have basically priced themselves out of their own target-market in my opinion. I think we will probably continue to see numbers are down as far as $ expenditure go.

I went to EKKA the weekend before. (sorry for the delay all)

A quick note about NO LIMIT - I rode it at EKKA - and wow, the thing was pulling some massive G's - either I am getting older or the operator was maxing it out like never before. I think it left my stomach somewhere near the ground when it threw me 30 metres into the air. I have never 'seen stars' on a ride before, but this one had me seeing them when the G-forces were sucking the blood right out of my head - Loved it. Huss (or anyone reading this) you must give it a try! Let me post a photo I took to properly convey the intensity of this ride:

Shot with NIKON D80
Last edited by Zamperla on Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
princess

Post by princess »

Way to go Zamperla, this is the first time I have actually heard you give this ride such a wrap, whoever the operator was that night, thanks.

Its coming your way Huss. :D
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

It would have been the operator Dave. I was there on Thursday and Friday, and boy was it running amazing!
princess

Post by princess »

Ben as I said I did not ride Insanity, after reading Zamperla's description of No Limit, I might have to sway, gee I wish I had been there to see that ride, did he know you Zamperla, if so, do you think that is why it was more intense. I cant believe you waited all this time to tell me, us lol :? :D
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Mate, i've got to try no limit now after daves review. Lookin at the peoples reactions, u can see how fast and the G-forces are on that ride. Put that on my to-do list.

Cheers
Top Gunner14
princess

Post by princess »

Top Gunner we , or I have been raving about this ride for quite awhile now, it should of been on your to do list way before this.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes it was and always has been. I know u guys have been ravin' bout this ride. Sorry 2 stir u up princess if i did
princess

Post by princess »

Lol Topgunner takes a lot more than that the stir me up, Princesses are calm and serene.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Just remember, before riding No Limit, make sure that you watch the cycle a few times to make sure it's going upside down a fair bit. If it doesn't seem to be flipping or going upside down much, walk away and come back when it is a little bit more. Otherwise the experience isn't as good. Also if your able, sit on a end as I find this gives a more intense experience.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

No worries princess. Your right hurricane, i'll be watching it one cycle and its upside down heaps, then later i see it , the gondala just keeps swingin and not goin upside down as much only sometimes.

Cheers
Top Gunner14
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

princess you might have to make a trip to melbourne sometime! haha, since I grace you with my presence in sydney! lol
definetly have to ride rainbow again with you next year
princess

Post by princess »

Ok I will be there
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I will also most likely be there too. Just be careful when riding No Limit that you don't have the harness too tight (although sometimes the operators pin it down) otherwise you may end up with VERY sore nuts hehe.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Excellent review as always Zamperla. I totally agree with you about No Limit; glad you enjoyed it.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Cheers Ben, I went on quite a few rides including my first go on Speed - was reasonably impressed - I did not find it as intense or as exciting as NO LIMIT but it did take me by surprise a bit with how quickly it went from stationery to full speed. (once it is balanced at both ends, there's no stopping it) both rides offer surprisingly different experiences.

Other rides I rode with Matt included Zipper (action-packed as always), Chaos, Flashdance, and the Skymaster wheel (always a pleasant ride). Lastly I rode the chairlift which is quite long and is a must for anyone visiting the EKKA. - it takes you on a long course right up the far end of the grounds for about 1 kilometre. Up this far end of the grounds was the Skyview wheel, Burton's Circus and a new Wacky Worm coaster.
kiwi

Chair lift

Post by kiwi »

Did you manage to get any good pics from the chairlift. I guess I should have rode, but I would have personally come the other way so I could see the midway in front of me.

Cheers
Kiwi
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Kiwi I got a few good shots of the Skyview wheel from the chairlift, but that was about it. It was difficult to get any clear shots of any one ride while moving along. Did you walk up to where the Skyview wheel was?
benclare

Post by benclare »

Good one!

I've said on a number of occasions before how much I miss the Chairlift in Sydney. At the old site in Moore Park, there was a Skyway that linked both ends of the huge midway and a Chairlift that went from the Wood Chop area to the start of the carnival. The Skyway operated at Wonderland for a few years after Moore Park went. Homebush really needs a Chairlift no doubt about that. Is there one at the new Melbourne Showground?

How did the Crazy Coaster go at Ekka this year? I know it isn't the most thrilling ride on the planet but I always go on it because it's a ride my Dad and I can do together and we always have a heap of fun.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes that's right, when i rode speed at sydney, the seats were comfy and i thought it would b scarier but it wasn't. Its fun when ur stuck upside down and then turn back so ur in normal position. How did insanity go and flashdance? Ekka over 4 a nother year. Nxt is Melbourne

Cheers
Top Gunner14
benclare

Post by benclare »

Adelaide is next, beginning on 7 September. Unfortunately, SA is experiencing the flu too so crowds may be down as they were at Ekka. Let's hope it's a good Show for everyone involved.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

Thanks for not fogetting about us Ben!
I sure hope this flu outbreak is gone by then! I certainly wanna be rid of my cold by the 7th! Has there been any more word on the final ride line up for Melbourne? As it starts not even a week after Adelaide this year??
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I am told the number of major / teen rides at Melbourne will be down on last year due to residential redevelopment at the grounds - total number of major rides is around 18, with 18 games - nothing like 15 years ago, in the Wittingslow days.
zipperdude22

Post by zipperdude22 »

Ben i Totally Agree with you about the chairlift at homebush i myself enjoy a nice ride on a chairlift weather it be at the snow or carnival the one at jamberro rec park incorparated with the tobogans is great too, its awsome and a great way to see the sights and also its not to bad for older people
ride the zipper!!
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

well looks like melbourne is gonna be worth it this year..... im over it hardcore!
kiwi

Skyview Wheel

Post by kiwi »

I did walk round the kids area, also visited the Circus (bit too warm inside the tent) otherwise very good. I was very impressed with the new kids coaster.

Still be interested to know how many trailers that wheel actually loads onto. M&D's in England have a very nice 40m wheel which stacked on 4 trailers if I remember nicely. Even so it's a big load to move, and their have a lot more people over their.