EKKA 2008

Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I will keep the review short and let the photos do the talking. As always, perfect weather at EKKA. If there is any one ride that makes me feel queezy it has to be Breakdance. I should have learned from Royal Easter, but I again made it my first ride of the day and this set the scene for my remaining rides. Surprisingly a good dose of the Zipper did not have a bad effect on me. (great ride as always, complete with the noises that only add to its great experience) Spaceroller really got me good - if I wasn't sitting on the inside seat, the results may have been nothing short of embarrassing. It ended just at the right time I might add. (this was my last ride of the day) - too much spinning on the Breakdance on an empty stomach to start off with - I am a sucker for ride punishment.

Of mention has to be the re-vamped Haunted Hotel. The outside is all class and en-par for anything you might see at Europe or a theme park as far as its unique 'non portable' looking structure and attention to detail. Staff were dressed in great 'bell-boy' outfits with a few random slashes across their necks, standing under a classic 1960's era Hotel sign. While the inside left a bit to be desired, I am told this is still being refurbished with some new decals.

All-n-all a great day at one of Australia's best capitals. (I would put EKKA behind Sydney, but a fair way ahead of Melbourne due to the sheer size and variety of the grounds) - don't go to EKKA without riding the chairlift to see the full expanse of the grounds.

[photos to follow]
Last edited by Zamperla on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Glad you enjoyed the Ekka. It is a good show and is probably the second largest in Oz behind the RES as far as rides and competitive entries go.

Thanks for the review! :)
princess

Post by princess »

The photos, Zamperla, where are they?
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Turbo_X

Post by Turbo_X »

gr8 pics mate! that blondie looks like he is sh**ing himself on skywalker!
Turbo... The Xtreme Machine!
princess

Post by princess »

Haunted Hotel, looks like it came from the Munsters TV show. :lol:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks for the review Zamperla, bit of a shame you weren't up for too many more rides afterwards. I've only got one thing to say to Lew Osbourne about his Ghost Train-WOW, WOW and WOW. What an outstanding job he has done. Looks like it belongs over in Europe. A very close compertition with him and TPA's Rollerghoster. Thanks Zamperla
princess

Post by princess »

I want to see how this Haunted Hotel lights up at night, he certainly came out swinging, did'nt he, top class effort, he clearly wants his spot back in Sydney.
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

great pics dude, you guys were right, Haunted Hotel looks the goods...
"Slingshot , Engage"
power_surge86

Post by power_surge86 »

hmmm...haven't been on here much after RES...

haunted hotel looks amazing...hope it comes to sydney next year... 8)

anyways...found this picture of haunted hotel at night on flickr...nice and green lol...looks really good i reckon..

http://flickr.com/photos/yngwolf/275692 ... otostream/
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes he does, he's out to prove he has the best Ghost Train in all of Aus. Great work Lew!!!
Force10

Post by Force10 »

excellent! awesome photo's zamperla! you have done everything the justice it deserves. clearly you've got an awesome camera and a great talent!
thanks for sharing
princess

Post by princess »

By the way would the blonde dude, like to tell us who he is lol??????? :lol: :lol:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Hhhmmm, a bit of a mystery. Would he be on AAF and his username start with a H and end in e :lol: :P 8)
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

hahaha if thats him... thats hilarious... he looks terrified... i found Skywalker pretty calm... i kept trying to look at Rainbow while spinning around
benclare

Post by benclare »

That blonde fellow and I have one thing in common. I'm sure I would've looked the same as him if someone had taken a pic of me on Skywalker! :lol: Thank goodness no one did...
princess

Post by princess »

Well at least he is on it, I would not be, so I should not throw any more stones lol
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

Just so you know this is NOT Katestow77 but Hurricane posting here... My account is having some minor issues as I changed my e-mail address on the account and I havn't got the activation e-mail after 2 days... So could a admin pretty please re-activate my account? Cheers.

Also yes... the blondie is indeed me! I think that was a moment where my downstairs was smashed into the harness! And I know that that photo is always going to haunt me from now on. Princess, that would be a wise idea unless you want me taking a camera on Zipper or Mega Drop next year and taking your photo! :P
Last edited by katestow77 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers katie
princess

Post by princess »

By the way thanks for posting Haunted Hotels night lights, wonder if it will win best presentation.
Force10

Force Review No.2

Post by Force10 »

Hey all, Hit the grounds at 7ish and waited for the guards to leave the gate... then in i went 8). inspired from the AAF meet on friday, i hit the Breakdance first up!. Was looking as good as ever, few little paint chips and lights out, but i will let that slip.. Long cycle, but didn't go as hard as i know it can.. i've had numerous insane times on this one, but tonite it was good/average. Bounced off that an headed straight for Power Surge, no waiting no delay! cus the ride was about to begin. Never been a huge fan of the surge. But it has been excellently presented, every single light was burning and he gave us a really long cycle, it was more intense than last time i rode it.. my arm went numb, really numb! so thats always a good sign.
It was straight off that and over for a hang double-up!, (go those showsupersavers!) what can i say this ride never disappoints me.. loved both cycles, were very long and the last had heaps of hangtime. Nice tunes too. I was offered a free spin at the end of all that... had to decline as my head was still catching up to me at that point. Very friendly crew, and we can expect a new ride from CETEK soon, so maybe 2009/10 another newy will be on the circuit, they just haven't picked it yet... but it will be nothing like we already have!
Decided to have a bit of a break and go on the Taipan. WOW, much better than TPA's crazy coaster, it just goes longer... And the speed it picks up, very cool. Unfortunately in terms of presentation it could do with a bit of a clean up... i wanna see those tracks yellow again! After a bit of a laugh at my photo it was over to Hardrock. AWesome. long cycle cus we had a showie in one of the arms to balance it out... very enjoyable. its such a feel good fun type of thrill ride. While i was in that part of the grounds i took a bash at claw. The ride has seen better days.. but its made its money so who am i too judge, i think a bit of a re-theme and put in a different spot could do it some wonders! just cus its in the same place year in year out.. It didn't disappoint and i was given an intense cycle, kinda short but was definitely long enough for me at the point... it was only bout 8.30 at this stage. Just when you and i both thought i couldn't take anymore, it was over to insanity! After Hurricane's review i had to give it another go this year and it was awesome. really enjoyed it, and yes it was much much smoother and quieter too, could have been given a little bit longer... i think because it was so smooth this year it left me wanting more! But it was time for dinner! 2 pinky's dagwoods. delicious as always. went for a quick look over at the showbag pavilion... let the daggys settle, and came back for one last ride... Spaceroller. since i gave it a hard wrap last time... well this time i got to sit on the outside.. and boy does that make a difference! i now realise that the only time i've never been on the outstide seat was on sunday.. I take all my words back OZ, it is indeed a ripper ride.
RATINGS:
BREAKDANCE- 6.5/10 (just cus i know it can go better)
POWERSURGE-7/10
HANGOVER- N/A (can't rate this ride.. i always enjoy it. and we've all ridden it a hundred times)
TAIPAN- 5/10 (just cus it can't come close to the other rides..)
HARDROCK-8/10
CLAW-7.5/10
INSANITY-9.5/10 (wanted more!!)
SPACEROLLER- 9/10

(all these rides, 2 daggys and a waffle all for 70 bucks an in 2hrs! go the supershowsavers and having no friend to slow me down!) :P
Cheers,
Force 10.
Turbo_X

Post by Turbo_X »

wow, i'm suprised to c that u rated insanity above space roller. i've heard insanity is a good ride but i never thought it would be as good if not betta than space roller. if i c it around i might have to give it a whirl as i love space roller! how would you compare it to no limit or speed? anyone who's been on both of them
Turbo... The Xtreme Machine!
princess

Post by princess »

Sounds like you had a great time Turbo, shame you could not have experienced it with someone.

Hurri, you both looked like you enjoyed No Limit, nice camera work Zamperla, so clear, well done. Thanks :wink: :lol:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

According to alot of showies that I've talked to, they rate Insanity much more then No Limit. They say Insanity is a very wild, wild ride. Can't wait to try it. And also Hurri, where are all your photos that you promised? :? :lol:
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

lol awesome pholto of Hurricane on Sky Wallker

guess im safe to laugh as I dont think there are any other SA people on here ----- i hope not anyway
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

great review Force10. you really covered a lot.

Thanks all for the kind words on my photos. Most of those were taken with a wide-angle lense so EKKA was a bit of an experiment and I was pleased with the results. (e.g. Techno Jump)

I will be lucky enough to be in Adelaide for a couple of nights for the Adelaide Show, so expect some more.