Ekka 2011

Josh in Rocky

Ekka 2011

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Taking the family this year for a road trip. Bonus for us is that the v8 supercars round at qr is the 19th - 21st! Killing 2 birds with one stone...
So I'll be there towards the end of ekka, anyone else heading to Bris Vegas or have any news???
"Slingshot , Engage"
Zamperla
Administrator

Re: Ekka 2011

Post by Zamperla »

I won't be, I hope you won't miss the Skymaster - its A-frame has been removed and sent to the scrap metal yard as part of the grounds upgrade.
princess

Post by princess »

I hope sydney keeps theirs.
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

That's a shame...
"Slingshot , Engage"
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

another skymaster location bites the dust.... surely durkins arent too happy bout it
Steve07

Post by Steve07 »

Hi, i went to the Maryborough (Fraser Coast) show and it was a Great show... lots more rides then what Gympie has, the showground is like twice as big as ours is in Gympie here..

There were alot more rides there then what we had, and different rides that ive never seen in my life, ive only seen some of them on TV but never in my life in front of my eyes... like for an eg.. Kami Kaza, now that ive never seen and that was their...

Where they have the sideshow alley the rides are like the EKKA is, all of them are close together theres no spaces at all left for other rides so its like totally full... and anyway that was my first time ive been to another show in another town...???
benclare

Post by benclare »

One month until Ekka and still nothing on the website or anywhere else I can find ride line-up information. I'm guessing the list of rides will be predictable with No Limit and Thunderbolt hopefully returning and Extreme probably one of the newies. Definitely sad with no Skymaster Wheel; the atmosphere on that ride is much better than Skyview IMO as you can hear all the rides in operation as you go around. Skyview is comfortable but too enclosed for me.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Ride List:

Speed
XXXL
Space Roller
Skywalker
Hangover
Hard Rock
Extreme
Breakdance
Carnevil
Crazy Coaster
Disk'o
EuroSlide
Haunted Hotel
Jurassic Rollercoaster
Magic Circus
Pirates Revenge
Millers Circus Slide
Millers Mirror Maze
Rock n Roll
Psychodelic
Sky Flyer
Rockin Tug
Taipan
Techno Jump
Bungees
Dodgems
Carousel
Hollywood Horrors
+ Kids Rides

Will say, it's a VERY interesting line up this year... noticeable absences from the following rides: Zipper, Mixer, Power Surge, Slingshot, Insanity, Ali Baba and Starship 2000. Will be a very interesting show methinks... Pretty sad for a capital.
Steve07

Post by Steve07 »

oh.... wow.. them rides sound great, so whats happening with the others that you said arent coming, are they going to different shows??
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Power surge and insanity haven't been for a while. It's disappointing. Good rides bothe of them. What's Jurassic roller coaster? Never heard of it. I don't know hoe complete that list is. Definetly room for a couple more rides. I now live a 10min walk to the grounds so I'll be down there at first signs of set-up to keep you all posted.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Mhmm not the best lineup, as I've heard from operators the Ekka just isn't worth it anymore. Interesting Short's not applying for Zipper, a capital show isn't complete without seeing that classic.

That might be all the room they have, due to the temporary showbag pavillion being in sideshow alley aswell apparently, so sites lost there. Jurassic Coaster is Joylands family coaster which is being re-themed at the moment. This should look great from the concept art and details I've seen. There will also be a photo booth built for the ride aswell.
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Thanks TG. I've just seen the Ekka map! So frustrating! I cannot believe the RNA is taking up significant space in side show alley for frigging show bags! Grr. Although part of that space was where some fixed food stalls normally are, so it could be worse. Does that giant wheel just look like Davis's wheel? Or has another operator got onto the bigwheel bandwagon? Tempted to just go to Adelaide show this year instead- it seems to be the only decent capital show left.
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Phew.... Barry park will also have rides. So the space they are losing with the tent will be made up. Barry park is usually where nova concert stage use to be.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

The giant wheel will be Durkin's portable Chance wheel
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Such a shame they didnt give Skymaster the send off it deserved....everyone got to ride the Chairlift one last time but not Skymaster.
It will leave a big void in the Ekka Skyline.

Just not feeling it this year. Alot of atmosphere will be lacking.....the show is going backwards FAST!
Force10

Post by Force10 »

RNA would see a Ferris Wheel as a Ferris Wheel. And so would most of the show goers. A chairlift is something that was never going to be swapped out with a portable model. Which is why a proper send off wouldve been overlooked. I've actually got some positive hope for the atmosphere this year. Call me mad but thisshowbag tent is massive! I'll take some pictures during the day on the weekend. It's going to bring alot more crowds down into sideshow alley.(there is heaps of freaks that only go for the showbags!) And now the RNA is being forced to used the entire space for rides instead of wasting it with sheep dog rings, empty tents, concert stages and kiddie rides.

Local / regional shows that have the best atmosphere always have showbags in sideshow alley... Just saying. Bring on Ekka 2011!
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Yes they have them in sideshow alley but in attractive sign written vans not a big ugly white tent.
People now the difference between the ferris wheels. Also the skymaster has played a big part in many peoples show life....people have proposed on it, couples have ridden it every year as couples then as families as they have had kids. It is a piece of Ekka show history and should have been given the appropriate send off after all the years of being pride of place in sideshow alley.
Steve07

Post by Steve07 »

hmmm its sad it hear that sideshow alley wont have much place where the showbags go for now....

is there any regional shows coming up while the EKKA is on???

I would love to go to the EKKA but its just to BIG for me, im used to regional shows, like my one and Fraser Coast and Sunshine Coast shows, i hope to travel to Bundabergs one next year to see its big, people say to me its twice as big as my one, more rides and stuff???
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Making the trip over again this year, dissapointed I wont be seeing a Zipper. I see the show have produced a App, anyone have any ideas on how I can download it in New Zealand. Says I have to have a Australian account.

Looking forward to hopefully some fine warm weather during my stay.
Force10

Post by Force10 »

I've downloaded the app. It's not bad but it's just an app. You can check into certain rides and get free ice coffees and things. Kinda cool. It has also plotted all the rides on a map. But it's not very accurate
benclare

Post by benclare »

Wow everything has an Ap attached to it these days!

Will hopefully be at Ekka on or around the last day.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Would be nice if it was offered for Android :P
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

The ferris wheel is set up and looks VERY bright. I'm assuming this is Durkin's wheel just based on the lighting scheme. WIll be attending on the 15th at this stage.
Steve07

Post by Steve07 »

awesome... would you mind showing us some pics of it if you can please it up now??

It would be great to see!!
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I won't be heading back in the direction of the EKKA grounds again before the show. I was driving through the Inner City Bypass when I saw it, but it looks REALLY bright. Still not the same as Skymaster though :(