Hard Rock 1.jpg (50.67 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Skywalker 2.jpg
Skywalker 2.jpg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Zipper 1.jpg
Zipper 1.jpg (65.16 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Mixerholic

Re: Ekka 2012 - Count Down Begins

Post by Mixerholic »

Ekkafan you have an amazing talent with your photos mate! Keep them coming and don't let anyone smash your dreams!
I am a ride operators dream or nightmare...you decide.
Coffe002

Post by Coffe002 »

Not sure where to put this but does any one know how I can contact Brian Gill.
Ekkafan03

Post by Ekkafan03 »

XXXL and the Hangover eye
Attachments
Hang over eye.jpg
Hang over eye.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
XXXL 2.jpg
XXXL 2.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
XXXL 1.jpg
XXXL 1.jpg (26.48 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Well...yesterday I went to the EKKA and had an absolute ball...will just get down to the reviews:

SkyWalker:

As most of you know I am not exactly a big person...but on this ride apparently I was...the harness was not locked down far enough and I had to have the operator SLAM it into me. It was at a point I was in pain before the ride even started...I asked to get off but it was too late...the ride was the most painful ride I had ever experienced and I was glad it was over...the cycle that it was running also left a fair bit to be desired.

3 / 10

WaveSwinger:

The ride has recently had new LED's installed on the ride, and it is running a lot smoother than when I last rode it. The ride is in great condition and was giving a lengthy cycle.

7 / 10

Extreme:

This ride...it lives up to its name! The ride is looking in top shape, not one light bulb not working on the ride. The operator was also quite clever with the jingles "Scream...Scream...it's Extreme" and giving a solid 3 minute cycle...the blood was rushing to my feet so much that they cramped up...this would be tied for my new favorite ride, along with Space Roller.

9 / 10

Break Dance:

Cosmetically, I could not flaw this ride one bit...but as far as the ride goes...it left a lot to be desired. The ride motions were very jerky compared to the Cyber Party...and when the ride was starting and stopping it was shaking almost violently...I think the ride might need a service...cycle was about 3 minutes long, so it wasn't too bad.

6 / 10

Zipper:

Holy crap...3 people in a Zipper cage is pure madness!! After squeezing in and the operator slamming the door on my thighs...we realized just how stupid we were! Within 10 seconds we were already flipping...no matter how much we braced ourselves it was just not enough! At one point we did 19 flips in a row (counted!) and then we flipped the other way for another 10 or so...the blood was rushing to our heads, and we were all shaking afterwards...it was by far the most insane experience I have ever had on a Zipper!!!!

8 / 10

Space Roller:

This is a ride that never ceases to amaze me, the ride was looking great with every light working...and I am sure Russell would be happy with the crowds...this is the first time I had EVER seen space roller full loading at the EKKA except on the show days! The operator had so much interaction with the riders, and the cycle was amazing (I still think having either Russell or Tyrone in control is better) but we all came off very impressed (4 of us) and all agreed at the end that this was our favorite ride!

9 / 10

Rock n Roll:

Great presentation, very short cycle. Not to mention I know that this ride can go faster than they were running it...overall it wasn't that good...give me ThunderBolt or Matterhorn any day.

5 / 10

Extreme Speed:

Short cycle, however plenty of flipping...IMO it rides better than FreeStyle still...I just wish No Limit or Insanity (has anyone seen that around lately???) would come back to the EKKA showgrounds :(

6 / 10

Crazy Coaster:

The ride is in top shape (not that I even need to say it...as it IS TPA we are talking about) and was running smooth as glass. With 2 people we didn't spin much...but with 3 it was alot better. I think Taipan is more thrilling...but crazy coaster is just pure fun and always puts a smile on my face.

7 / 10

Hard Rock:

Longish cycle, looking great...but where was the rider interaction :( anyone who knows me is aware that this is a big part of the experience for me...it was running alright though...

6 / 10

HangOver:

This was the last ride of the night, and by god does this ride give you hang time...about 10 seconds at a time!!! However I think the ride needs to be taken off the road and given a full overhaul...the gearbox appears to be on its way out as when it started it was jolting a lot seeming like it was skipping gears almost...but once it got going it was alright...also to note, the ride has all new LED's on the whole ride including the tower and is looking great.

7 /10

Also to note, the new Pirate funhouse is the old TPA Circus Circus with the spiral slide removed and a new inflatable section added :) it was great to see all the staff taking pride in their work, and it was clearly showing...all the operators were doing really well and I heard it was actually a good show for them this year!
Rachel0298

Post by Rachel0298 »

Great review Hurricane!
sounds like you had a great time :D
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Yeah, ekka is always good...get to catch up with the showies I used to work for...and hang out with friends that share the same passion and interest.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Loved your review!

I noticed the same problem with Hangover at RES and Hawkesbury and it wasn't running long cycles as a result I think but the hang time was unbelievable as usual...

Also agree with you about Crazy Coaster, one of my favourites for sure!
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

benclare wrote:Loved your review!

I noticed the same problem with Hangover at RES and Hawkesbury and it wasn't running long cycles as a result I think but the hang time was unbelievable as usual...

Also agree with you about Crazy Coaster, one of my favourites for sure!
Yeah...it would be the gearbox on the way out most likely...it was what was happening with Laurie's BreakDance as Cyber Party had a similar issue earlier (shaking ALOT as it was speeding up) and that's what the issue was. But they take great care of their gear so it will be fixed in no time :)
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Cheers for the review. Definately agree with you there about Extreme, gives a great ride. Heard the Pirate Funhouse may have been the old Circus Circus, cheers for clearing that up