2008 Royal Easter Show

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

There wasn't much country for Melbourne though cause of Equine Flu. Maybe we could all get jobs at RES dressing up as Horses ;)
benclare

Post by benclare »

What a great idea Princess! :D Other shows that are coming up include Canberra, Bathurst, Castle Hill and Campbelltown, all of which should have classic Hurricanes, Roundups etc. I hope to make at least some of these events.
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

I really have seen much better line ups at regionals lately than some of the capitals (excluding the EKKA and RES).

Melbourne has lost a lot of its shows great attractions . it seems it all started just after the mad mouse events of 03? then the zipper was out in 04 from memory. Hurricane was no more in 06 and at the time we had the redevelopment which caused a change to the carnivals layout. I hope things pick up this year for Melbourne, the other states capitals all seem to offer something more.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

im over melbourne, sydney is my only big capital now... i find better classics at the regionals now.

Zipper still pops up, which is good... screw melbourne show, its a joke!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh come on down to hawkesbury everyone Lol :lol: Its 11,12,13th of april. Has heaps of great rides. Classic and new.

Castle hill gets ali baba, usually music trip, hurricane, rok n roll,tilt a wirl, cha cha(not allof these the same time, kind of change each year) ferris wheel, flashdance, dodgems and ferraris were here last year.

Canberra is a great show. Not too many classics with bells supplying all them.

Campbeltown last year had alpine xpress, energy storm, flashdance, and others.

Camdens a biggy too. Some good rides go there too.

But definetly go to hawkesbury.

And hey, if u see me at any of the shows, ull see me all country bumkin Lol :!: :D

Cheers
Top Gunner14
benclare

Post by benclare »

As discussed elseware on this forum, Melbourne Show sometimes suffers because Perth is held during the same week and some major rides, namely Claw, Megga Drop and sometimes Crazy Coaster head west for that event which is a big show.

Castle Hill here in Sydney used to be the second biggest show before the RES and was the qualifying chance for so many competitions including wood chopping, district exhibits and all the animal events. This all changed with the building of the Hills Centre which took most of the showground. Houses which have also been built there have probably redused the size of the carnival too. This is becoming a reality with suburban shows which are getting smaller due to redevelopment and Sydney has lost many of its suburban shows which is a real shame.

By the way, is Space ball coming to RES this year? I do doubt it but it'd be good to be wrong about this. It would go well in the Xtreme Zone no doubt about that!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes, castle hill is smaller now. And yeh most of the quilifying for the easter show is done there.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

i'm just wondering if there is any good shows the week after hawkesbury?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Is there really any need for a non-motorised piece like Space Ball to be on the midway.... no thanks, stick to the majors
benclare

Post by benclare »

Shows that are on around or after Hawkesbury include Gosford, Goulburn, Newcastle, Tamworth and Dubbo to name a few.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Newcastle is the same weekend as hawkesbury.
benclare

Post by benclare »

That's right. Newcastle wasn't on last year due to the showground being redeveloped but it has decreased in size in recent years anyway. The ride lineup is usually pretty similar to Blacktown with the probable edition of Splash Canyon, Claw and Chaos. It'd be great if the Guild did Newcastle as it's a four day show with a public holiday thrown in which would bring in heaps of people.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Still hawkesbury anyday 4 me. And newcastle still has the inderpentents on their grounds
benclare

Post by benclare »

I was in the Homebush area earlier today and managed to get in close to the showground which is a hive of activity at the moment. The Skymaster Wheel is completely assembled and the Taipan roller coaster is just about done with a small bit of track near the end of the ride to be put in place and the train put down. Australia Avenue where the carnival operates has been closed and entry gates where tickets will be sold when the show opens are being erected near Herb Elliot Avenue. The exhibiters are also busy putting up their displays in the Woolworths Dome and around the grounds but the Overflow Park is still open to the public at this time. Most of the rides will begin arrive Late Tuesday or erly Wednesday after heading up from Moomba and everything should be ready by next weekend when the official media preview will be held. Unfortunately I don't think I can get a pass to this event but I won't give up! :)

Sorry there are no pics; I know how much you guys like them and I would really like to provide but... :oops:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanx for that info Ben. Geez, id say all durkins workers had top be there to put up the wheel first and then have time to put up the other rides later in the week
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Just to let people know, if they want to catch up, ill be down there easter sunday night-monday arvo then again probably wednesday the same week-thursday arvo. So just PM me if u want to meet up

Cheers
Top Gunner14
ozshowkid

Post by ozshowkid »

I will be at Sydney for the whole show so if any one wants to catch up just pm me.
Cheers OZshowkid
come one, come all, come in its time for a showtime spin
princess

Post by princess »

Great article in the paper today regarding RES, very funny,journo going on new ride, Skywalker. lol its in the Sydney Morning Herald
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Could u write wat he said if its alright. We usually get the telegraph
princess

Post by princess »

ok here goes, I cannot scan it as I am not techo savvy.

""SURE I'll do it,"I heard myself saying when my editor called me on my day off. "how scary can a ride be?"

That was my first error in judgment. The second was eating a hearty breakfast before embarking on my new can-do attitude towards carnival attractions - but more on that later.

My assignment was to road-test a new ride that will make an appearance at the Sydney Royal Easter show this year.

After I agreed to go through with it I remembered the panic attack I suffered a few years ago on the Show's ferris wheel. (oh please).

"Great stuff,"said the editor. Ït can be a great piece about you overcoming your fear of heights."

The ride, I discovered after a quick internet search, is called the Skywalker. That didnt help to ease my increasingly sweaty palms, and neither did the website warning: "Not for the faint-hearted".

I headed to Tamworth Show last month, photographer as my wingman, to get a look at the ride for myself.

ït's probably best not to look at it before you go on it,"the photographer said.

I should have listened to her advicce, but I snuck a quick peek at the Skywalker in action and quickly started looking for the hire car keys, wondering how much trouble I would really get in if I left her in Tamworth looking for me while I hot-footed it back to Sydney.

Described by its owners as "the latest genre in extreme rides", the Skywalker features a three-arm design that loads 24 passengers on to a eight separate cars at ground level and is then hydraulically lifted to 75 feet (about 23 metres or eight storeys) in the air before beginning its three-way, 360-degree action.

A high-tech webbing structure holds riders in place, allowing them to move their arms and legs freely, while remaining securely strapped in.

Twins Luke and Chris Hennessy, from the family-owned March's amusements, are responsible for bringing the ride, one of only six in the world, to Australia.

Ï remember the first time I saw video footage of it, and felt dizzy looking at it", Luke said.

Not what I exactly wanted to hear. I cant remember what was flashing through my mind as I climbed the long, lonely steel stairs up to the giant contraption, but it was probably along the lines of, Ï need to find a new job."

Try and keep your eyes open so I can get a good clean shot,"were the last words from the photographer, her non-shaking legs planted firmly and safely on the ground.

It took about half a second for me to realise I would have rather been back on the ferris wheel.

Strapped on to an arm of the ride, my feet dangling into air, I was lifted up, up up. I stopped remembering to breathe by that stage.

I was jerked backwards, forwards, upside down and back to front at an alarming speed. It probably would have been a great view if I could have prised open my eyes, but all I could do was cling on for dear life - so tightly I lost feeling in my right hand for days afterwards.

I felt like someone had hold of my waist and was tossing me about like a feather in the wind and my stomach lurched about on its own accord.

Then it was all over and I peeled myself off the ride and slumped on to the stairs, legs wobbling.

"That was great, Ange,"the photographer said. ""I just have to get you to do it one more time."

She then repeated her request 28 times before I realised she wasn't joking. I also thought the second time would be a piece of cake. Wrong again. When the ride finished one of the operators took one look at my pale face and silently pointed me in the direction of the toilet block, where I brought up my breakfast. Twice.

"God, I feel dizzy from photographing that ride,"the photographer remarked on the way back to the airport. Next year I might road test the ferris wheel.

I cannot acknowledge the journo as there was no name on the article, but this was taken from Sun Herald today.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Goodness! :!: I have a new respect for this ride now and also have more of an idea what to expect. It actually sounds like a higher version of the Power Surge or Space Roller; am I right? :?:

Thanks for posting the article Princess.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

So... Are you coming upto Ekka to ride Skywalker with me Princess? ;)
benclare

Post by benclare »

Does anyone know for sure whether Flashdance will be at the RES this year? I know it was booked to go but that was before it was sold and I don't know whether that changes things. I'm hoping it will be there!

Ozshowkid, are you working on Space Roller?
princess

Post by princess »

No Hurricane I would much rather watch you going green, why give you and excuse to laugh at me lol :lol:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh oz is on SR. And flashdance isnt going to RES. And i cant wait to ride this mean machine!!!