Sydney 500-December

princess

Sydney 500-December

Post by princess »

While looking at the map and programme for this new event in Sydney, I noticed that in the map, there was a sideshow, carnival area included, the area does appear to be quite large, who will get this???? Or has it already been decided, anyone got some information.
Top Gunner14

Re: Sydney 500-December

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh I was looking at this too. I heard about the carnival area last year aswell. I'll try and find out as the time gets closer. If its someone I know there I might try and get work too. But I'm planning on heading to the event. Looks and sounds like it will be great.

The carnival area is in the NAB Arena which is yeh pretty large. I'm guessing maybe Slingshot and Insanity might go as they did Eastern Creek finale a few years back and Slingshot goes to a few other V8 events
Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

TPA Shows' gear could make it up there for it.

Space Roller Freak
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Anyones gear could. Most of the Vic shows will end around this time and hire jobs are on around this time too
princess

Post by princess »

Yes it will be interesting.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Have been on the phone to the organisers the last few days. They are looking for a whole range of rides/games so something for the kids, family and the adrenaline seekers. I have also been in the process of trying to get a company on with their ride/s. Will keep you guys updated and they want some good rides down there so any owners reading, get in contact with them and if you need the contact details for the organisers, just PM me.
princess

Post by princess »

This site looks big enough to have more than one family, what a great time to do this, just before you set up your Christmas carnivals, on your way to coffs, port.

Actually Topgunner do you mean to say that they have not talked to anyone yet? mmmm
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh definately have more than one company. I was talking to them and they are going to soon take applications so they might've talked to other operators but didn't specificly ask.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Was talking to the organisers sometime last week, he inspected the area for the rides at the site. From what I gathered, all the rides won't be in the NAB Arena. From what I remember, I think they will site some of the rides outside or somewhere around near the NAB Arena.

As soon as the Bathurst 1000 has passed, they will start organising the rides and what gear will be attending. They wouldn't give away whose applied to take their rides but I know of one company who is really keen to get their gear on. Hopefully will have some more info soon
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

O'Neills? haha... or would they be open with Adventureland
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh well according to their website, they open the park in the Xmas holidays. Really couldn't see them doing the event. Only ride they'd probably take if they were to do it would probably be Ranger.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Yeah, well if Rainbow gets set up, im flying up! hell yes!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

The sideshow alley area has been moved out from the main arena which is what I said last week. It is now located near the Telstra Merchandise area which is located where the kids carnival is located at Sydney show. Which can be shown here:
Sydney 500 Track Map
Sydney 500 Track Map
Sydney-Track-Map.jpg (213.15 KiB) Viewed 12454 times
I know of one ride that has been approved to work at the event. Dunno whether I should say yet but it is a big capital show thrill ride. Will tell you soon.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Also forgot to say, the great lineup of bands they will be having on Friday and Saturday night after the races. Great lineup of Aussie acts including:

Friday night:
Sneaky Sound System
The Presets
The Potbelleez

Saturday Night:
Cold Chisel (making a one off reunion)
Grinspoon
The Living End

These acts will be playing in ANZ Stadium

All information for the event can be found here: http://www.v8supercarevents.com.au/sydney/default.htm

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

$70 for a ticket :roll: I doubt that includes rides?
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh well people would be going to watch the V8 Supercars, of course it doesn't include rides.
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

So what's new with this event? Just under a month to go, a group of us is going from Rocky, but I am doubtful
as I'm going on other holidays in January. Depends if I get really busy in the next 3 weeks... hehe
"Slingshot , Engage"
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yep rides attending are:

Slingshot
Insanity
Power Surge
XXXL
Ali Baba
Crazy Cars

Sky Walker was the ride that was hinting out but something went on there and its not on. Good loneup, cant't wait to ride Insanity again and to see XXXL. Hopefully might get some work there too. I'm guessing too that there will maybe be kids rides there too.

Will be a great event Josh, I'd try to go if I was you. Hopefully you can make it
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

I just wish Insanity would do RES. Cant afford that much right now :lol:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I'm heading down to the race tomorrow, should be a good day. I'll get around to the rides and get on a few of them. Will get photos and maybe a video or two. Looking forward to seeing XXXL for the first time and riding Insanity again.

But eager to see the races aswell, might get a pit access pass, try and see the cars and their rigs and get a glimpse of all the entertainment around the venue. Also staying for the concerts in the evening. Should be a great day

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Can't wait gunner, obviously, I'm still at home, so not making the trek... I've been to a fair few other v8 rounds,
and the effort they have put into this one looks like a huge event... Look forward to the pics...
"Slingshot , Engage"
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Fair enough, shame you couldn't get down, it was a great event, yeh this was the first time I'd been to a V8 event. Anyway got my review and photos now.

Got down to Olympic Park on Friday to check out the biggest sporting festival in Sydney this year. After years of campaigning and debating, the Sydney Telstra 500 finally became a reality and the final race meet for 2009 of the V8 Supercar Championship. And what a great event, as I said this was the first time I had been to one of these race meets. The whole layout and design of the track was brilliant creating some great challenges and battles for the fellow V8 competitors. With Garth Tander being crowned the winner of race 25, then on Sunday, the podium was dubbed with local born and bred sydney drivers. WIth 1st going to James Courtney, 2nd to Michael Carruso and 3rd going to Mark Winterbottom for the final race of the season which was race 26.

I had a great day down at the event, with plenty of entertainment on offer for all including the V8 Supercars indoor paddock which allowed rev-heads to get up close and see their teams working away in this indoor garage, get autographs and photos with their favourite drivers. After the action on track wrapped up on Friday and Saturday, fans converged on ANZ Stadium to see some home grown Aussie bands rock it out. Friday included dance acts such as Sneaky Sound System, The Presets and the Potbelleez. Saturday was all about the Rock acts which included a one off reformation of Cold Chisel, Grinspoon and the Living End. The whole event was a massive success for organisers with 150,000 people expected over the weekend. They flogged that with 185,000 people getting to the event.

Anyway I had a look around sideshow alley for some of the day on Friday, and sad to say they were getting very little buisness. By 1pm the Power Surge had only had 5 riders since they started operating. Most of the day was pretty poor so bit of bad luck for the showies. Don't know how they went over the weekend though. But they had a good selection of rides including the Hard Rock which I didn't know was showing up along with Power Surge, Slingshot, Insanity, Ali Baba, Crazy Cars which were sited elsewhere which was the site where the Sky View Wheel is at Sydney Show. And also XXXL attended which was the first time I saw this. Sideshow alley was based in between ANZ Stadium and the Acer Arena.

Sideshow area:

Ali Baba: Looking good, nice and bright, Gill's have done a good job with presenting this. New flicker lights which I saw at Fishers Ghost were installed on the backwall around the border lights. Was getting hardly and buisness but I had a ride later in the day. When it was getting started to take the first swing, the boat shook really violently which was a bit of a shock. But after that it was smooth sailing, having a good cycle, stopping at the top giving a good view of the rides. Would've been good to take my camera up.

Crazy Cars: Was sited away from the other rides all by itself basically with not many other items around it. So they weren't getting much buisness either, most cars I saw running on the track was 2 at a time. Giving a long cycle. Love the look of this track, artwork around the border of the ride and on the back tarps looks brilliant. The lighting is also great.

Hard Rock: The ride is looking as great as usual, love the look of this ride, very well presented. Noticed some LED's fitted on the front signs of the ride. Was running empty loads if it did run for the day, only saw 2 people on during the day. Probably the worst I've ever seen this ride go. Didn't hop on for a ride though which I would've liked to.

Insanity: Was looking forward to seeing this again. Had a few people ride throughout the day. Must admit wasn't looking the best but must say it made up for that with the experience onride. Had 2 rides over the day and this ride is amazing. First time I jumped on and this ride absolutely flies. You would look at this as its going and think that doesn't look that bad but once you get on, this thing is fantastic. First tide was a bit shorter but it was enough, the ride went that fast my legs started getting numb. Then later in the arvo I jumped on again and the ride is very unpredictable. Its unpredictable because you don't know whether your going to feel alot of g-forces on you, you don't know at what point in the ride where the pendulum will be spinning in correspondance to where the main arm will swing out at its fastest point on the rider and the feeling you get on this ride is very hard to explain. Some people would have a different experience they feel when riding this. That is what I think about the uniqueness of this ride. Back onto my second ride, i was the only one on my car so I was facing the ground most of the time, but I have never felt so many g-forces on my body compared to anything else. More than what I'd felt on No Limit, Space Roller etc. But I was in a fair bit of pain, and my legs were basically numb for most of the cycle. In other words I was shitting myself :lol: I got off and I had to slowly walk down the stairs. This ride would easily be one of the best rides in Australia. Fantastic ride well done to Phil and Tammy for purchasing this ride and its great they've got this ride running this well. If anyone sees this ride anytime soon, I'd definately recommend you have a ride.

Power Surge: As always and your probably sick of hearing this, the ride looks as fantastic as ever. Love the look of this ride and as I've said before, well done to Joyland's for presenting this ride so well. Jumped on for a ride, was a good cycle but could've been longer. The arm spun one way, then it stopped and spun the other way but then it went back into its stationary position which was a bit odd as its always run the other wat too. But still had a good ride.

Slingshot: Looking good, had a few riders through the day. But I finally got to have a ride of it. Everytime I go to ride this, I either don't have enough money on me or I've got no one else to go on with me. But I finally got on, and its pretty good. Sitting in the capsule, the springs extend, the capsule tips back, then the operator tells you to put your arms out like superman, then we launch into the air. Reach the top, spin then we're facing the ground racing down, then back up, the capsule wasnt tipping or flipping much so we basically did it ourselves. Could be a longer ride but still it was pretty fun.

XXXL: First time I'd seen this and its a pretty nice looking unit. Like the design of the logos for the ride and the colours that are chosen for the ride suit it. Was running longer cycles compared to when it was at the capital shows. Like the LED lighting and the artwork on the bottom panel of the ride. So I jumped on for a ride, the deck dropped and we were off, swinging back and forth before going over the top, the ride swings pretty quick through the loading area, you can feel the forces pulling on your body when you swing through. Then the arm started slowing down then next thing the seats were unlocked and we were ocking back and forth, fliped once or twice, with the op locking and unlocking the seats at various times, trying to get the seats to flip a bit more. Then we started to come to a hault. Must admit it was a good ride but it can do alot better. But it was a fun ride and wasn't any disapointment.

Was a good and long day. Was good to meet a few owners and see some others like Broderick and Susan Pavier, Phil Durkin, Tammy Bell, Greg Webster, Eddie Gill, Aaron Pink, Clint Johnson and some of the other showies. Got a video of XXXL and the Hard Rock coming up soon and will post the links soon. Enjoy!

Cheers
Top Gunner14
princess

Post by princess »

That was a great review TG, wow could not believe the lack of people, everytime there were pictures of the television the venue looked packed, something was very wrong. :?: :?:
Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

Thanks for that review and pics Top Gunner. Good to hear that XXXL is having some longer ride cycles on it is it still $12 or have the put it back to $15? Shame that business wasn't too good for ride operators, I look forwards to the vids of Hard Rock and XXXL.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks guys, Yeh princess is was chockers down there over the weekend, but yeh the rides are just a bit of entertainment on the side as people go to the event to see the races. I didn't think they would go as bad as they did.

Yeh SRF it's still $12, think $15 is a bit steep for a ride like that