OFA to run show in Sydney to rival RES

benclare

OFA to run show in Sydney to rival RES

Post by benclare »

I have heard that OFA are planning to stage an event which will run over the Easter period, directly rivaling the Royal Easter Show. The event which will operate in Moore Park, the former Easter Show site is being marketed as an affordable alternative for families who cannot go to the Royal Easter Show and will apparently be known as the Sydney Family Show. There will be no charge for entry and the show will feature all OFA's rides as well as entertainment organised by the company, similar to the Newcastle Show. There won't be any agricultural displays though.

I personally think this is a good idea and will have some appeal with struggling families and probably won't eat into the RES's popularity too much. This said, a similar thing attempted by Brooks's Crown Amusements and some others in Brisbane nearly ten years ago failed after just one show. It might be better if OFA organised this event for later in the year, perhaps around September or October?

Nevertheless, the RAS aren't happy and court action maybe pending.
Zamperla
Administrator

Re: OFA to run show in Sydney to rival RES

Post by Zamperla »

Easter showdown: upstart challenges the established farmers' fair
JOSEPHINE TOVEY
March 16, 2010
EXCLUSIVE

IT MAY be the biggest show in town but it is no longer the only one.

The annual Sydney Royal Easter Show has a rival this year in the form of a smaller, free event at the Entertainment Quarter at Moore Park called the Sydney Family Show. It is making an unashamed grab for parents who think the Royal Agricultural Society's show - where family tickets cost almost $95 - has become too expensive.

But is Sydney big enough for both events?

The RAS has already stopped its rival using ''Easter'' in its title, and many big-name showbag companies have refused to supply the smaller event.

The EQ show will be held at the former home of the Royal Easter Show in the first two weeks of next month, coinciding with the show at Olympic Park, but featuring only carnival-style attractions such as rides, petting zoos and showbags - no agricultural displays or competitions.

Originally the new show was called the ''EQ Family Easter Show'', but RAS lawyers wrote to its operator, OFA Showstar, last month demanding that it ''immediately discontinue and forever refrain from using either the terms 'Easter Show' or 'Show', '' in relation to staging this or any other events during the Easter period''.

The lawyers also questioned whether the new event was a show at all, given that it would not involve produce or livestock displays.

OFA Showstar removed ''Easter'' from the title but refused to buckle on ''show''.

Their lawyers told the RAS: ''The word show is used widely in the community … we would reject any assertion by you that our client is not entitled to use the word show to promote its event.''

Some big-brand showbag companies that supply the Royal Easter Show and other independent shows have refused to supply the Sydney Family Show.

A ticket to the Sydney Royal Easter Show for a family of four costs $93.50. Showbags aimed at under-fives, such as the Wiggles Bag, cost $25. Admission is free at the smaller event and the most expensive showbag costs $20.

A spokeswoman for the RAS, which is a not-for-profit organisation, said it was satisfied with its rival's change of name and that tickets for the Royal Easter Show were good value, given there was 12 hours of entertainment on offer.

The Sydney Family Show has a sponsorship agreement with The Sun-Herald, a newspaper owned by Fairfax Media, publisher of The Sydney Morning Herald.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

So what rides are we actually looking at showing up?

for a minute i thought i read OCS lol... stupid me....
I don't think id support this show, Easter Show all the way
princess

Post by princess »

Dont think you are their target market Huss :wink:
benclare

Post by benclare »

I reckon I'd like to take a look at the OFA Show although I'll definitely still be going to the RES. I haven't ridden the Yoyo for ages and I do like it. As for what rides will be turning up. The absolute best the new Show could hope for are the OFA rides plus Durkin's gear including chaos, the Claw, Slingshot and Insanity. The unlimited rides passes currently for sale don't mention these attractions so my guess is they're not showing up. It's a pity this event couldn't provide an opening for classic rides no longer available at the major capital shows. Pirate Ship, Rainbow, Hurricane, Turbo and Music Trip are just some that would go well there.
itsfun

Post by itsfun »

The slingshot and insanity arnt owned by durkins amusements which does shows with les osbourne. They are owned by Phil Durkin Special Events. He would NEVER do a show with les osbourne............. :D :D :D :D :D :D
PNC

Post by PNC »

what will the easter bunny do when it gets a letter from the RAS demading that he cant use his name anymore :oops:

smalls amusements i think run a small carnival over this easter period as well and im sure they do ok from it, looks to me like the RAS dont like a little healthy competition, really they dont have much to worry about, they have all the best rides and great entertainment everyday of the show, however if i were down they i would be visiting both, so i would have to divide my spendings between both events, showbags would be my sacrifice
itsfun

Post by itsfun »

We also do a canrival at Easter holidays at liverpool.....
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

The best rides, showbags, show animals, entertainment, food displays, lifestyle displays, retail stores, agricultural displays etc are all going to be at Sydney Olympic Park. There'll be a few going to Moore park but people will still think of all that they will be missing out on at the "Sydney Royal EASTER Show" Really, I don't think RAS should have anything to worry about, they know they've got the best in the country at Olympic Park and what does the Sydney FAMILY Show have to offer in return.... not a whole lot really.

But really when I have a day off working, I'll probably head down to the family show for a day, just to check it all out.
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

If OFA are running a rival show i think RES woouldnt have much to worry about. OFA's gear is old. That kamakazi they own doesnt sound good. There doing the newcastle show next weekend which i think hasnt been the same since they took it off the guild. The sydney show may run but i dont think it will end up an anually event . The guilds gear is by far better than OFA's.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes they're doing Newcastle next weekend, but then they need to transport all their gear down to Sydney and set-up in four days. I dunno how they're gonna do that seeing as though they only have around 3 prime-movers and not sure on how many smaller trucks. Unless they hire a heap of trucks which will cost a fair bit I can imagine.

Yeh Sky Master doesn't sound the best but that's just the motors/drive shafts on the ride. Listen to Verfuth's Hang Over next time and they sound identical.

Could be right Zamperla seeing as though the Gravitron will be at Sydney Show aswell...
princess

Post by princess »

From what I gather from listening on the radio today is they are not targeting teenages, they also said that they could not compete with res.
benclare

Post by benclare »

As I said yesterday, I think the new OFA show is a great idea and will have a target audience of its own which won't challenge the RES. As some of you have pointed out, there are numerous carnivals operating around Sydney over the Easter holidays and all run successfully in conjunction with the RES. I think the RAS's real problem with the OFA idea was the naming of the show and nothing else. I agree with the RAS on this point and OFA have made the necessary changes.

I'm yet to see the OFA Skymaster but am keen to try it.
princess

Post by princess »

PNC wrote:what will the easter bunny do when it gets a letter from the RAS demading that he cant use his name anymore
Maybe Jesus should sue them, for cashing in on his show.
Tilt01

Post by Tilt01 »

About twenty years ago a large Easter fair took place at Bankstown Showground. It was a much larger event than what I think we can expect at Moore Park.

It had an impressive line up of rides including most of Bells as they didn't attend the Royal at the time. Giving the event a country flavour was Gills Bros rodeo show. While the attendance was solid it didnt take place again.

The old showground site which is now called the Entertainment Quarter needs some boost as these days its pretty dead because the flagship Westfields is just up the road at Bondi Junction.
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

Snuck into OFA's newcastle show saturday for a quick look. Not a bad crowd, nothing to when the guild had it. Skymaster an musictrip did well. That trabants one fast ride. Durkins had there well there plus chaos and claw. Unlucky for claw fans it was out of action. Had a sign on it closed due to techincal difficulties. Will be interesting to see if it does sydney. No splash canyon or roller coaster. All the rides where spread out well. It seems every year same gear which i think gets pretty boring after a while. Maybe time to bring the guild back an make newcastle show as good as it once was.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Thanks for the review Hardrock!

It seems the Claw hasn't worked properly for some years now which is a pity.

I imagine OFA are really working against the clock to get everything torn down and put up at Moore Park for the start of the Sydney Family Show this Thursday.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I think I actually heard that OFA's contract has ended with Newcastle show, not 100% but it may have.

Yeh don't think we'll be seeing Splash again and Mad Mouse has been sold I'm pretty sure
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Claw is generally pretty reliable except for the bearing in the single arm. This was always a problem with the design, and cropped up a few years ago at RES.
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

With what they had at newcastle i cant see y they wouldnt make it in time. The only ride that may take a bit pulldown an set back up would be durkins wheel if its going. Everything else should be no probs. Lets hope OFA's contract is up and hope for a guild return. :D
benclare

Post by benclare »

I'm fairly sure that big wheel is coming to Sydney for the Family Show. It'd be a big blow to OFA if they did lose the Newcastle contract as it is pretty much their flagship event, being based at the showground and all. As unlikely as it is, I'd love to see a combined OFA/Guild event some day! Am I dreaming?

My plan at this stage is to head down to the RES this Saturday morning and the Family Show the following one. I am keen to take a trip down memory lane in revisiting the old Moore Park site which I was so fond of during my childhood. Homebush is great but just isn't the same as we've discussed before. Would love to meet up with some AAF members at either event!
princess

Post by princess »

benclare wrote:I'd love to see a combined OFA/Guild event some day! Am I dreaming?
Your Dreamin!!!

OFA have a contract until 2013, don't think the show society can change it, unless they are prepared to lose a whole lota of money
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Hardrock wrote:With what they had at newcastle i cant see y they wouldnt make it in time. The only ride that may take a bit pulldown an set back up would be durkins wheel if its going. Everything else should be no probs. Lets hope OFA's contract is up and hope for a guild return. :D
It's gonna be hard when Les only has 3 prime movers and a couple of other smaller trucks, will definately be working right around the clock for the next few days for them to open on Thursday.
Last edited by Top Gunner14 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
princess

Post by princess »

Top Gunner14 wrote:Lew only has 3 prime movers
:lol: :lol: I am sure Lew will love that, not, I think you mean Les, it can very confusing.
Last edited by princess on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

Well lucky for them there only a short drive between grounds, 20mins an there on the freeway, 1.5hr on the freeway than goodluck.