Royal Melbourne Show 2009

Super Loops

Re: Royal Melbourne Show 2009

Post by Super Loops »

This looks a pretty sad excuse for a Royal Show carnival...never though RMS would come to this. NOTHING great at all this year.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Have you already been superloop?
Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

I'm going on Wednesday (23rd Sept). The weather forecast is windy and 20 degrees, hopfully that wind won't keep the rides on the ground and not up in the air. Anyways, I will be borrowing my dads brand new Pentax K200, so be prepared for some great photos. You can also expect a review from me.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Hi all,

Just a quick post - got back from a week in the Philippines for work on Friday morning, then headed straight to the show with both 4 and 2 year old girls....

Had a wander down main carnival area - it was very very quiet around 7pm. A comment / question re: the Tornado (Round-Up). Yes it was a good to see "an old classic" back on the main drag, but sadly to report NO ONE was riding it. It sat there for idly for 10 mins, then the ops would crank it up trying to attract attention, doing the full tilt with no one on board,,,then would sit quietly again,,,

So would Bell's (I think it's Bell's) estimate how many riders it would need each day to make a profit? I don't know how much money it would cost to get a ride like this on the main strip, but it seemed like it may lose money with riders by-passing it,,,Maybe this is another thread topic? "Profitability of Rides during a show forum",,,,,

Anyway - spent a fortune on teacup rides, crazy train, ferris wheel etc - kids had a ball - thats what counts,,,,

Jaffa23
princess

Post by princess »

Jaffa23 wrote:spent a fortune on teacup rides, crazy train, ferris wheel etc - kids had a ball - thats what counts,,,,
Cute, well least they had fun. :)
Space Roller Freak

A bit of a disapointment about Tornado. They will get some riders Wednesday I might have to do it a few times.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

That doesn't suprise me that Tornado isn't doing to well. To be honest no offence to Bell's but I think it was a bit silly of the show to put a Round Up on a capital show. I think their Hurricane would've been alot better if they were going to put a classic in the main carnival area. Jaffa how was the flume going?
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

As Huss had said earlier, the flume was in a pretty crap position, but still seemed to be doing reasonable business with families (parents and kids). I think with the Kids zone closeby and designated Drumstick Family carnival area, a lot of people / families were being drawn to it - gotta say it's very well presented (1st time I had seen it)

Jaffa23
Space Roller Freak

I have changed my plans for the show. I am now going tomorrow (tuesday 22nd) insted of Wednesday because of the crappy weather. It is ment to be sunny & 21 degrees, should be good weather to ride Pirates Revenge.
dell2006

Post by dell2006 »

Went to the show yesterday, and we had a blast. Nice new shinny rides there, and good ones. XXXL Good as always, there dropped there price to Adelaides $15 p/p to $12 P/P or 2 riders for $20!! Much better, and seemed full all day! Still short cycle but . . was very busy so understandable. Also had a go on the new freestyle, But the price was a bit rich (no re-ride discounts or 2 for . . . so we only went on it onced. Bring back goldenways deal with the $10 re-ride i say. would get more bums on seats.
got some photos will upload soon.

Also saw bells round up. whole day, Seen 3 people on it. (but of course i wasn't watching it all day) so i'm sure it would have had more.
I think goldenways have made a good choice with the XXXL, Its a top ride, Smooth, Not sickning, gentle but crazy and also intense, All they need to do now is to make them gondolas spin a bit more :D

Anyone stayed till the end and watched the 7.00pm entertainment at Coca Cola arena?? horses, fireworks and freestyle bikes??
WHAT SORT OF A JOKE IS IT HAVING THE SADDLE CLUB 10 year olds SING FOR 20MINS AND YELL AN SCREAM INTO A MICROPHONE???? How LOW can the royal melbourne show get for entertainment.
And Adults Admission before 5pm $28 after paying $15 for car parking. And after all that, You get to have the Saddle club sing to you?? lol
Not sure if its all worth it in the end. I think ADELAIDE show is now a MUST DO over melbourne, Sorry melbourne!!

Looking forward to MOOMBA 2010!!!!!!
Last edited by dell2006 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dell2006

Post by dell2006 »

Hey space roller freak, Dont forget to take your wet suit with you to the show. LOL Its pissing down rain and you will also need it for the Pirates Revenge. :lol:
Pirates Revenge Does look Good tho! :D
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

I tried out XXXL. I was not impressed since it did not thrill me once!!!! What a shame since it looks impressive to watch. I think most of the newer rides are really hit or miss each time you ride. Give me Hard Rock anyday, that is heaps more fun every time you ride it. BELLS TORNADO is a real classic!!! I was actually impressed by the speed of the thing, it really pins you back against the cage. I vote it the best ride at the show, even if it has less riders (there were quite a few on when I was riding, which was good) .

I really feel the show has lost a lot over the last 5 or so years. When you arrive, you no longer see the Skymaster wheel from the roadside, hear screams from rides like the Zipper, Mad Mouse, Enterprise, Rainbow or Matterhorn...Due to the renovations, it seems they are now hiding what has become a small carnival Why? If I was controlling such an event I would want to tempt people by showing them FROM THE ROAD what is behind that gate.... it will lure more people in. All the atmosphere is lost even before you enter the gate now. I just hope Turbo comes back next year. Heck, if a Round Up can make it back on, then why not Turbo!!! My fingers are crossed.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

Totally agree Super Loops....

I think the atmosphere has disappeared completely,,, Me too would luv to see the Turbo back (the Mel show was the last time I rode it early 2000). Speaking of the ex: Witts Mad Mouse, someone told me it may now be in Indonesia,,,,

http://www.rcdb.com/4456.htm?p=0

Anyone reckon that is Witts?

Jaffa23
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

that is 110% ours!
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

Thanks for the link to the mouse Jaffa. It was a true staple of the Royal Melbourne Show.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Nice find Jaffa, agreed, it HAS to be Witts.

Very hot here in Los Angeles, 30+ degrees, full park report coming soon. (and I will be missing the Melb Show entirely, so it's good to read everyone's impressions)
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Has anyone got any photos yet. Huss I thought you'd have some up by now
Space Roller Freak

I had a great day at the show yesterday. I'm still uploading my photos for my review. My review and photos will be online sometime tomorrow.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Good to hear. Sorry SRF, forgot about you
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

will post photos soon.
dell2006

Post by dell2006 »

Photos
Attachments
tornado.JPG
tornado.JPG (140 KiB) Viewed 49192 times
spaceroller.JPG
spaceroller.JPG (110.85 KiB) Viewed 49192 times
xxxxl.JPG
xxxxl.JPG (139.68 KiB) Viewed 49176 times
dell2006

Post by dell2006 »

more photos uploaded over the next few days
Attachments
freestyle.JPG
freestyle.JPG (73.54 KiB) Viewed 49164 times
xxxl.JPG
xxxl.JPG (114.35 KiB) Viewed 49158 times
pirate.JPG
pirate.JPG (116.11 KiB) Viewed 49156 times
Space Roller Freak

Well, The Royal Melbourne Show has past for another year and not with a big bang as such. The line-up wasn’t as good as past years, but I don’t think that it is ever going to get better than this, what a shame. Anyways on with the review.

Main Carnival:
It was good to see a few new rides turned up wasn’t too busy, but I guess the weather let some people down. Interesting to see that Show Amusements have bought Gravitron and Ali Baba over from Adelaide. I wonder whether we will see these travel around doing some Victorian shows?

No Limit:
My first ride for the day, I was sh** scared about this one and especially first up. I sat in was only a few people on the ride. The fan then started and we started swinging back and forwards. Before we knew it we were over the top. The gondola was flipping quite a bit, was very scary. Was even scarier when I wen’t on for the second time and the operator locked the gondola upside down through the platform, was very scary. I screamed like a little girl. A very good ride, stunning. Good long ride cycles too and some good music pumping out as well. This is a truly great ride and I wish Bells did Ballarat. This is my all time favourite ride.

Space Roller:
Tried this after No Limit, it seems like a breeze to No Limit. Good ride cycle. Quite a few people having a go. Great ride. Only went on once. Just another note one of the guys that were undoing harnesses on Space Roller, he was about to unlock the seatbelt and a guy vomited all over him, was a bit funny but I feel sorry for the guy that got the vomit. After that the guy operating the ride got out of the controls and laughed his head off. After that the thriller laugh jingle was playing frequently.

Sky Flyer:
When I got to the show I was having second thoughts about this one. Good family sort of ride. I didn’t really like the ride experience but this could be because it was really wind when we were at the top of the tower, was a bit scary. Good ride though. Seemed to be running full loads all the time.

Rockin Roll:
All I can say about Rockin Roll is it is very, very fast and made me quite dizzy. The appearance of the ride looks extremely impressive. Good long ride cycles and some good interaction with the riders. Rode this once.

Techno Jump:
A good ride for the family. Good cycle length. Wasn’t busy at all. Rode once. I just couldn’t go past without riding. Love the different sequences.

Power Surge:
Seemed to have a few people having a go, but not too many. Good music playing and some good interaction with the riders. Good cycles too.

XXXL:
Well XXXL is a pretty tame ride, not much flipping action towards the end of the ride. Some good interaction with the riders, totally a great ride that gives off some great energy. Broderick Pavier has made a good choice bringing this in to the country.

Tornado:
A bit disappointing to see that Tornado wasn’t getting much riders. But my first ride on a Round Up, it’s a good ride after I got off I had a face ache from the force pushing you against the cage. Only rode once was pretty good value at $6 for a good 5 minute ride. Was going really fast a good ride and I’m glad I have ridden it now.

Ali Baba:
The new colour scheme looks very nice and appealing. Seemed to be having a few riders, but not too many. Not a lot of rider interaction and was giving some nice and long cycles. Didn’t get to ride.

Breakdance:
This a great ride and will be for years to come. The appearance of this ride is amazing this combined with a great ride is the complete package. Nice length ride cycles, a few people having a go but not too much. Also no rider interaction at all, was a bit disappointing. Rode only once.

Cliff Hanger:
Looks different with the yellow instead of the green, looks good. Very long rides and not alot of people riding it. Looked to be running very slow. Didn’t ride.

Crazy Coaster:
Looking good as always, not many people riding at all, last years line for Crazy Coaster was huge, but there were only a few people in the line.

Freestyle:
First time on a KMG Speed, was very tame compared to No Limit. Not a lot of flipping action. Very short cycles too, was a bit disappointing. Only rode once. The ride itself was very cool, wasn’t bad at all. The artwork of the ride looks impressive. Also a bit disappointing about no cheaper re-rides or 2 for 1 offers.

Gravitron:
Never seen this unit, I would never have thought that it would be there this year. Obviously Durkin’s Starship 2000 got the boot. Seemed to be attracting a few people. Didn’t ride this one.

Hangover:
Good looking ride, but Verfurth’s have just over done it with all the Hangover signs. At times it was quite busy, but other times only four or five people having a go.

Hard Rock:
Was a bit surprised that Hard Rock wasn’t very busy at all, only a few people riding. Nice and long cycles and when people were on it they were screaming their lungs out.

Roller Ghoster:
Looking good as always with the graveyard. Decent amount of people riding. TPA should take the graveyard with them when they do country shows.

Drumstick Family Carnival:
Seemed to be very popular with kids, was very busy. In my opinion, Pirates Revenge should be in the Main Carnival, but then other major rides would have got kicked off, so we can’t always have it the way we want.

Pirates Revenge:
Well, all I can say about Pirates Revenge is a great ride and I forgot to take advice to get a poncho. I went on two times, a pretty good ride with great presentation. Although it was in a shocking position, the line was reasonably big. A good day to ride, was quite warm. I was a bit worried when it made its debut at Luna Park on the Christmas Holidays how it looked. This ride is a must and is sure to be award winning. Great Ride. $8 a ride or $5 re-rides which I thought was good and photo’s were $10.

Wave Swinger:
Seemed to be popular with the kids, was located in front of Pirates Revenge Very long cycles.

Crazy Cars:
Crazy Cars seemed to be doing well, a few people having a go. It should be in the Main Carnival though because it looks so good.

So that Melbourne done and dusted for another year, thanks for reading my review and looking at my photos.

Cheers,
Space Roller Freak
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

thanks for sharing your photos everyone^^. Glad to read you enjoyed your first Round Up on Bells Tornado SRF, even if you did get the Round-Up 'face ache', haha. It just goes to show that the older rides can hold there own against the new ones. If I had to choose what I liked out of the newer rides it would have to be Hard Rock (heaps fun) and No Limit (intense but also fun).
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks Dell, interesting quality to your photos???

Space Roller Freak, I really enjoyed reading your review, I found myself commenting to myself after each one :lol:, No Limit is an amazing ride, though I will never ride it, as I have said before I will never tire of watching this ride, Techno Jump is another favourite of mine, will look forward to riding it again in Sydney, looking at the photo of star flyer, I am sent back in time to the older style Chair-O-Plane (where is Solo), all bar the height difference looks exactly the same.

Great reviews.