11%
Maybe
11%

Total votes: 9

Zamperla
Administrator

TR: Philip Island (Space Roller debut) Video & Photo's

Post by Zamperla »

By coincidence, I ended up spending New Year's at a friend's holiday house on Philip Island. Needless to say, I was itching to get down to Cowes to check out what was set up, and try out Australia's latest (and perhaps largest) attraction. Russell Watkin's Mondial Space Roller, fresh off the ship from Europe. Other rides there included a Cha Cha, Tilt-a-whirl (under refurbishment, with newly added backdrop), Kamikaze, Dodgems and various smaller attractions.

Space Roller stood out like a sore thumb - it is a huge ride, in terms of ground space complete with a generously sized control booth, and an amazing light show (every bulb and strobe effect was working flawlessly despite some initial problems adapting to Australian power requirements)

The ride itself was quite intense, unpredictable and disorienting. I was sitting on an outside seat (of course) and was very impressed, as were the row of friends riding next to me (after some lengthy persuasion) - it is one hell of a ride, and will certainly hold a place of its own for many years to come. Unlike the Zipper which many have compared it to, the harnesses are very tight and firm, allowing for no movement within the seat, and perhaps for this reason, I would not rate it quite as intense (however, you are rotating on more than 1 axis!) – a matter of opinion.

As well as the below photo's, I've uploaded a quick video of it, but it is about 17 meg and you will need Quicktime to view it. (click bottom right free icon, and wait for download queue time before download starts)
http://rapidshare.de/files/10229032/AUS ... r.MOV.html

Happy New Year all.
Attachments
spaceroller3w.jpg
spaceroller3w.jpg (176.94 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
spaceroller4w.jpg
spaceroller4w.jpg (131.63 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
spaceroller7w.jpg
spaceroller7w.jpg (139.02 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
kiwi

Space Roller

Post by kiwi »

Hi, looks amazing. Can you tell me how many trailers it requires to be moved- have they had to add extra ones to transport it in Australia? Does it require a crane to move?

Cheers
Kiwi
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Kiwi,

I've looked at Mondial's website, but it doesn't give a great deal of specifics, I would say it fits onto 3 trailers (possibly 4). It does require a small crane to attach the arms, counterweights and seats.

As for it being customised for Australian vehicle length requirements, I'm not sure, but I'm sure Darewing can elaborate on the ride itself.
Attachments
hoefnagels.JPG
hoefnagels.JPG (117.78 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
DareWing

Post by DareWing »

Great to see that the ride arrived in good condition.

I think a TopScan needs indeed 3 trailers.I found some pics of a TopScan convoy on it's way for maintenance at Mondial, you can find them here;
http://themepark.nl/ubbthreads/showflat ... Post849156

I'll try to find some more info when I arrive home this evening.
minnie

Post by minnie »

UH NO not for me!!!good video.Thats going to be fun to set up once a week!?
LunaParkFanatic

Post by LunaParkFanatic »

Wicked video... :D
I'd love to see one of them in Luna Park!
WARNING: LunaParkFanatic Alert! :shock: