Adelaide Show 2007

Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Bad u miss out on some of the best rides in aus. The show will b good even without them. Also, i don't think energy storm does the capitals anymore. I saw it at my local show this year and that was it
benclare

Post by benclare »

Am hanging out for your review Scorpion. What rides did you go on? What have the crowds been like without the horse events? I haven't seen too much press about this year's Show which is probably a good thing. I've also heard the weather has been a bit iffy, a shame as last Saturday was perfect. Hopefully the showies raked in the money that day.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

I went last Saturday which was perfect weather (if anything it may have been a bit too hot considering the time of year and all the walking one does at the show lol) but I wouldn't say the weather has actually been that bad for the show - the forecasts have been a bit iffy but most days have been reasonably nice! I guess though once peoople see the forecasts that normally turns them off right away.

From what I've heard the opening day of the show had record crowds so hopefully the showies made a bit of money that day. I wouldn't have said sideshow alley was overlly busy on Saturday although there were plenty of people around. The Mad Mouse was doing a roaring trade and the power surge always looked full, a huge queue for extreme speed and later at night Space Roller looked very busy despite the fact they jacked up the ride price if you rode after 6 (I guess supply and demand - but really wtf???). I found that a lot of the rides that I went you seemed to had to wait around for ages whilst they tried to fill them.

In the end I went on the space roller (at like 11 am - I refuse to pay premium rates), techno jumper, rupher-bahn musik express, the made mouse and the hangover and also went on the Prison Break live experience (which was apparenlty at Luna Park just prior to the show starting). I really liked the space roller again a good long and varied ride cycle, although Dan kept elbowing me the entire time I was on the ride (and I may have accidently kicked the dude next to me a couple of times - sorry!) but I don't know why they insisted on strapping us in so early - think about people's body parts I tell you! I went on that pretty early in the day and then went to do other stuff around the showground. Now I must admit I normally seem to look at every other animal but the horses but It was noticeable that there were no horses this year - it was errie walking into the main area during the middle of the day and there being absolutely nothing on. I would have to agree with the show organizers who said many people were using it as a quiet place to have lunch - there were actually quite a few people around even though it was empty - mind you by the time the evening entertainment started and the fireworks display it was packed - m ind you the fireworks display I think was cancelled part way through due to the wind (otherwise it was an extremely poor fireworks display lasting like 30 seconds!). One of the better events around the grounds was the "League of Sideshow Superstars" - which involved acts such as sword swallowing, the world's smallest belly dancer, a woman using power tools on her body, a man picking up a car battery using only his nipples etc etc - very entertaining and I think well worth the $14 entry price to the show ($14 for students anyway). You would pay a lot more to see this in the Garden of Unearthly Delights at the Fringe. I still love to odd ride sensation you get ont he Techno Jumper but I dont think anything prepared me for the musik express - it looked like the matterhorn and it started off so slowly! I was originaly sitting closest to the ride but the operators insisted that i sit on the outside and I was absolutely crushed when they started putting the speed up! I wouldn't say I didn't like it but I was very sore afterwards! Would have to wonder if this ride will come to Adelaide again - it has a very high capacity and it just looked empty most of the time. And another question - is this ride new or just new to Adelaide or just new to Australia (ie second hand), it didn't look new or in the world's greatest condition! Next was the Mad Mouse and yes I still can't believe they are getting rid of it - it is the greatest and I think the queue will attest to that, being longer than I have ever ever seen it before. Usually it's not to bad to get on, when it was busy when I went last year most of the stairwell was full leading up to it, but this year the stairwell was full and there was a queue strectching back into sideshow alley! It is still the best and will be sadly missed although as I say every year I swear it used to go so much faster.

After that I went through the Prison Break experience and well If I was Daniel MacPherson I would be a tad bit embarassed just outside the place is an absolutely massive billboard for City Homicide with his face plastered on it (we are talking like the size of a semi trailer)! It was $8.50 and was not $8.50 well spent, if this comes to other places in Australia - don't bother. From what I've been told the Mummy one was much more entertaining. If anything at best the maze was disorentating due to the strobe lighting, but it wasn't really even close to being scary - possibly it might have been if you hadn't had to queue for ever and see the strobe lights and the sound effects etc - but really this was crap!

Lastly I went on the Hangover - this is a ride I said to myself I could never see myself going on. It just looks so bad, particulary when it stops up the top upside down, but the people I went with wanted to go on it - so I obliged. I can honestly say I will never go on it again - I must admit I enjoyed the end part of the ride more when there was speed that was a nice sensation but at the start it was just crap and terrifyining and seriously even though I knew they stopped at the top and held you upside down I was absolutely convinced that it has broken down and we were going to be stuck up there. I can tell you every noise that ride makes and I can ensure it didn't sound healthy (I got told this is when I should have been yelling and screaming - then I wouldn't have been able to hear the ride - I was also constantly told off by Kez for not screaming because she thought I may have died because I was that worked up about riding it). I'm glad I have rode it once - but I can honestly say never again!

I go past the show everyday on my way to and from uni, and I must admit crowds haven't really looked the best - although I do go through just as it opens. Hopefully there have been lots in there during the day! O can confirm the first friday night was really busy because coming back from the Footy (GO THE POWER! GO THE POWER! GO THE POWER!), on the last train on Friday night (11:50 pm) it was only one carriage and they could really have used like three - and it was all show people, the train I came home on the Saturday nighht (9:50 pm) was four carriages and they even could have had an extra one on that - so those crowds were really big! Hopefully the showies made money then and hopefully there will be big crowds for the last 2 days - that last Saturday is usually a big one and the weather is lookin okish!
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Is that noise on the Hangover your talking about sort of like a metal whirring noise as it swings. If so, thats nothing to worry about, thats just the gears working.

I truly enjoy the Hangover, when I rode it at EKKA there wasn't that much hangtime, just alot of spinning.

And by the way, Great Review!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Great review scorpian. I want 2 try hangover but it just never comes into nsw. The Raupenbahn is new, its owned by pickerts(TPA) It looks impressive but i wouldn't go on it. Too boring. Good 2 hear about the mad mouse. I'm sure this will b going for the whole show

Cheers
Top Gunner14
princess

Post by princess »

Lol scorpian, very nice review, note to self, add to list, never ride Hangover, lol.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I don't believe the Raupenbahn is new - Princess first noticed this one. It has been given a very good cosmetic refurbishment, but is not new.
princess

Post by princess »

My comments to you Zamperla at the RES, was that Raupenbahn looked very tired and needed some TLC, I am very happy to know that it received it, as we knew it would, in the care of TPA.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

At Ekka, RaupenBahn was looking like it needed some TLC, I really do hope it does get a re-furb in the near future.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

definetly not new, came from a european showman...
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yep awesome review Scorpion.

There is a Music Express at LPS called the Tango Train and it goes fairly fast towards the end of the ride but in my oppinion, it's nothing on Bell's Thunderbolt and a lot less comfortable! I always end up jammed in a tiny corner of the carriage and have huge bruises on my leg after the ride is over; not a heap of fun.

Glad you enjoyed the Space Roller and Mad Mouse. :)
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Sorry, i thought the raupenbahn was new. Anyway, about the Tango train at LPS, that is so crap :!: I hate it. It was boring, and it always hurts my legs and ribs. Still, i'll try the raupenbahn c if its any better then the tango train

Cheers
Top Gunner14
princess

Post by princess »

My feeling Top Gunner is that you don't really like these type of rides, i.e. raupenbahn, Tango train, probably dont give you the adrienelin rush you want, I usually stay away from "boring" saves the disappointment.

Just on Raupenbahn, the lighting is extreamly impressive, but maybe it is still needing refurbishment, not sure they would have had time between Ekka and Adelaide.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

On the news last night it was reported that crowds have been well down on what was expected which they are putting down to the horse flu keeping away the horses exhibitors and enthusiasts (i know I haven't spelt this right!). However the spoke to the carnival operators who have said it has been one of the best shows ever for them - as one commented who I think from memory was the guy opearting the Musik Express (i remebered the face) they guess this is most likely due to the fact 2007 has finally been an incident free year at Adelaide. One of the other opertators had said they had had a 50% increase on last year. Owner of the Mad Mouse (and I must admit I had been wondering who this really old man was who was just standing up near the mad mouse) said it had had more riders than ever and the news speculated the increase on this ride as it was the last year may have led to increases on the other ride. They also very quickly showed some images of the replacement one i think was something beginning with a p and loop (python loop perhaps)? whilst the other was Barry's Big Dipper - gee that sounds entertaining NOT! Official Crowd figures should be out later this week
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

by the way princess i forgot to mention they art or spruiking was alive and well at the show this year! much better than it has been in previous years. although I still don't have my giant kermit the frog!!!!! when will they just let me buy one!
princess

Post by princess »

Lol Scorpian, you never know your luck, remember you have to be in it to win it, LOL, so pleased the spruking had improved, wish I had of heard it.