THE OCTOPUS RIDE

benclare

Post by benclare »

It was at Rilstone and happened in late February or early March 1997. I think metal fatigue was blamed for the accident but it has been ages since I read the article and I don't have time to check at the moment. :)
princess

Post by princess »

It came up earlier this year Ben, there was a picture of the family in the paper, because it was the anniversary of her death, it was in Sunday Tele around easter.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes, i also heard bout that accident too. It's a real shame bout that
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

i have ridden both the occy (flahertys) & the spider (osheays) and they are preety much the same ride one has more bent arms(spider) and the other the straight arms i liked the old fashioned style of the occys its a great ride and its so smooth not saying that the spider isnt just in a different way like when u r up the top spinning on the spider u actually lift out of ya seat so to speak and it feels like u need ever bit of the padding they have in the carriges to stop u from from flying out - the occy is smooth and the guys really know how to give u a good ride i always feel safe in the occy and its such a fun ride that u just wanna keep going back on it no feeling of the dizzy head spins i got when i went off the spider. and don forget that theres a little to no chance that the doors may come open but in the occy they have small doors and in the spider bigger doors but again differnet set up . it feels like its a giant step in the spider and in the occy its at least 1/3 of the size.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I want 2 try the occy soon. If i c one at a show, i'm on there!
PNC

Post by PNC »

carnival land do not own the occy, that one is owned by Aaron Bourke from party time
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

i cant wait to ride the occy again its such a great ride and i don really care what people think or say abou tthe ride or if its got the same name or design as the one that caused the death of that person i think it comes down to who is operating the ride i have ridden the (flaherty's)occy more times than i can count and i will continue to ride it more than likely till the day i die in another 70 odd years. lol. i trust the operator of that occy and if i didnt then i wouldnt get on it. i have them to be caring and i think that are always looking out for u. they wouldnt let me ride it just after i broke my arm and i just had to accept that. i cant wait to ride it again its well worth the wait. :D :P
grateride

Post by grateride »

yer a good ride driver makes it all i remember when nocen`s had the occy and carmel used 2 drive it . it was 1 of the best and best keep occy on the showground`s
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

yea i totally agree with u its nice to have a smooth operator casue if they cant operate it or its a as rough as guts then u r not likely to want to go back on the ride and u r likely to tell ya mates how bad the ride was and then they tell there mates and so the cycle goes and than u find its not doing well. the moral of the story if its a good ride the better the talk about the town is. as is the case with alot of showmens rides were they have people come back year after year almost like repeat offenders except not doing n e thing wrong
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

Girl, 6, injured in fall from Octopus ride
(Friday, August 3, 2007) - At Six Flags America theme park in Largo, Maryland, a 6-year-old girl was injured when she fell from the park's Octopus ride. Witnesses said that the girl stood up as the ride was in motion. Park officials say the girl fell about four feet. Some witnesses claim she fell over 15 feet.
The girl was flown to a hospital for treatment of her injuries, which were considered to be relatively minor.

how recent is this for more information fo to www.rideaccidents.com
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

That's sad to hear about another occy accident
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Looking at that website, it wasn't a "Eyerly Octopus" like the one we are talking about, but a "Schwarzkopf Polyp" Ride. I haven't actually even rode a Octopus in my life lol.
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

i never said it was the exaxct same ride i just said that it was an occy ride
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I know that, but there may have been some people that didn't know that. I'm sorry if I sounded rude.
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

no i was just merly replying is all . all is good :D :D :D :P
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

hey i heard that there are two other octopus rides in australia 1 is operational at aussie world and the other is owned by a brisbane company just thought id let uno for your interest :P so lets do a re count of the occy that i now of and mostly threw this and the travelling i do we have; flaherty's ; millers ; party time ; coney fair ; the spider - o'shea's and i belive that there is 1 operational occy at aussieworld on the sunshine coast and i now of another occy but its not in opperation its sad to see it just sitting there(another brisbane based company) :)
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

The "Octopus" at Aussie World is a Schwartzkopf Polyp.

"Coney Fair Entertainment" Of Brisbane also owns a Eyerly Octopus. There website can be found on www.coneyfair.com.au
zipperdude22

Post by zipperdude22 »

Theres a school holiday carnival thats held at Windang(suberb of the illawara) evry summer holidays there is a octopus that has turned up evrytime since i was little all the carriges are yellow on it ive never ridden it tho also another octopus used to come to the christmas carnival in kiama (did Bells ever own one?) i did ride this one and absoulutly loved it it used to be my fav ride before i rode the zipper the carnival owners Pretty sure it was Bells also had a kick ass paratroper which arm rose to its full extent evrytime ahhh fun memories
ride the zipper!!
benclare

Post by benclare »

Wasn't there an Octopus ride at Luna Park Sydney in the 1980's? I maybe wrong about this.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I don't think Bell's ever owned a Octopus, but I could be wrong. I have rode Bell's Paratrooper before, and it's a great ride, It was my first Paratrooper ever and when I went on it when I was 12 I was really scared of it as I thought it went upside down :oops:
princess

Post by princess »

What are you embrassed for Hurricane, I am still scared of going upside down. :lol:
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yeah the Paratrooper is awesome, not unlike the Wave Swinger in sensation; excellent on a hot day! It's a pity we don't see more of it as with the Octopus.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Ben yes there was an Octopus at Luna Park during the 80's, this is now the one at Aussieworld (incidentally, it is not a Schwartzkopf - it is Italian made, Soriani / Moser I think) This was at the park until the Big Dipper was removed, 2001 (?)
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

It didn't stop you on Hard Rock, Princess :lol:
ride freak

Post by ride freak »

i know of another origional eyerly octopus had diff colored carridges there was a travelling circus forgotten them name of it but they had a quite sizeable sideshow including a octopus was at the gympie muster at one stage lol as well as in gympie it self i havent seen the circus scince this was long before 2000 i think i was in grade 7 at the time i also belive the march's amusements previously owned the coney fair occy years before they aquired it the one with the new fibre glass futuristic carridges