Rainbow Ride Collapses At Liseberg! BREAKING NEWS!

HUSSRAINBOW

Rainbow Ride Collapses At Liseberg! BREAKING NEWS!

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Utterly Horrific images and news from this story....

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- A theme park ride collapsed Tuesday in a city in western Sweden, injuring at least 18 people, officials said.

Two people were seriously hurt when the Rainbow ride collapsed at the Liseberg theme park in Goteborg, SOS Alarm rescue service spokeswoman Monica Grandin said.

She said the numbers were still not definitive, but initial information that 40 people had been injured was incorrect.

Around 25 ambulances were sent to the scene, she said. The ride was full when the accident occurred, Grandin said.

"Of course it is children who go on these rides, but I can't say how many" of the injured were children, she said.

The Liseberg manager on duty, Peter Andersson, said it appeared the accident was caused by a malfunctioned ball bearing.

"As far as I know it is a ball bearing that has slipped out of its holding," he said.

Andersson said the attraction had been through a security checkup in the spring when no faults were discovered.

The Rainbow is a spinning arm with a seating compartment on one end.

Liseberg is a popular tourist destination in Sweden and the biggest fun fair park in the Nordic region, with more than 30 different rides.

It actually makes me sick looking at the photos... hope it doesnt mean bad things for our Rainbow....
prayers go out to the people who were on it... and hope it gets fixed up.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

You said it all Chris.

The park seems to have dealt with it well, and are working with the Swedish media as objectively as possible.

Staggering.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes, I hope everyone involved make a full recovery. This is the first Rainbow incident I've ever heard of
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I have heard of a few rainbow incidents, such as the one at Elitch Gardens in the US. But if I had seen that Rainbow accident in person it would have been a "Holy Poo on Toast" Moment.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

What was the incident Hurricane? What happened?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

A disabled man actually "walked" off the ride, I remember the press saying that it was his favourite ride, but this one time, he became scared, and his carer tried holding onto him, but he got under the lap bar... walked to the front, and fell off, hit a tree, and then the ground... he died later in hospital.

Also at Dixie Landin' Theme park, a small boy fell out of the ride, and died, apparently he slipped out of his parents arms... who knows how small he was for this to happen.

The accident at Liseberg is the FIRST mechanical accident.... such a shame for a great Huss ride
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

So.... What does this say about LISEBERG as a theme park?

Swedish theme park ride leaves people stranded for 2.5 hours

STOCKHOLM, July 18 (RIA Novosti) - Fifteen people were left stranded at a height of 48 meters (157 feet) for two and a half hours when a ride at a theme park in the Swedish city of Gothenburg got stuck, Goteborgs Posten said on Friday.

This incident caused a major scare at Liseberg, northern Europe's largest theme park, following an accident on Wednesday at the same park, when a ride collapsed, injuring 36 people.

The paper said the vertically sliding observation deck named the Gondola stopped for no apparent reason on Thursday, and that all 15 people were brought down safely at 10.00 p.m. local time.

"We do not know why it got stuck," Peter Andersson, the theme park's officer on duty, said. However, "they had sodas, pastry and even a WC up there," he said.

Liseberg theme park, founded in 1923, receives around 2 million visitors per year.

2 Days apart... and also news that OVER 50 PEOPLE have been hurt at the theme park THIS YEAR! honestly makes you wonder as to why Rainbow had the accident....
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

thats bad about the accident but i think the rainbow is a boring ride compared to some other rides around the world. id much rather something more thrilling than riding on a giant cloud while going up and around. id pefer a ride such a space roller or twin flip any day! but the ride collapsing is horrible news and i feel sorry for the people that were on there. but maybe the rainbow at that park will be replaced with a more thrilling ride.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Geez, another incident. Alot of incidents don't usually make it to the media over here. That ride must have been an observation tower? Hope everyones alright. Paulie, I really like the Rainbow. The sensation of weightlessness is a really great feeling and is much better to an Ali baba any day. I'd say the rainbow will be dismantled or just kept at the park to get fixed up. I'd say they'll just order a new bearing, replace it, give the ride a few test runs and could possibly be up and running again.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Paulie this isnt a discussion about if the ride is thrilling or not.... bloody hell
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

just saying that hopefully they replace it with a better ride.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Well im sure to many people who visit that theme park, they loved that ride, so do many other people...There are quite a few Rainbow's still in parks, and at least 3 still travelling, including OUR rainbow.
I highly doubt you will be visiting Liseberg any time soon to enjoy a "better" ride.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh Huss Rainbow is a great sensation. There are actually about 6 still travelling. And yes, quite a few in parks around the globe
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

O'Neills is travelling
Wade's is travelling
Strates don't travel their model anymore as a counterweight came off the train.
Stammler Chilbi sold theirs to Antibesland in France, so that doesn't travel anymore
Dehner's Millenium is up for sale and hasn't travelled for quite some time
Fleur's Rainbow only does one show in France.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I notice Strates is up for sale on usedrides.com
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

$246,000au

sounds good to me, would do a total overhaul though.... new rays, new gondola..... new lower arm
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

Manufacturer orders Rainbow rides shut down
(July 21, 2008) - The Rainbow amusement ride that collapsed at Liseberg theme park last Tuesday was dismantled over the weekend by investigators who discovered a faulty drive shaft during their inspection. Investigators now believe that the accident was caused by the failure of one of the axles that is designed to hold the passenger carriage horizontal.
The drive shaft had been replaced by Huss Maschinenfabrik, the ride's manufacturer, in 2003. The drive shaft is fully enclosed, and therefore is excluded from the park's regular maintenance procedures. It can only be inspected by Huss. According to the ride specifications, the drive shaft has an operational life of 5,000 running hours. The axle that failed had run for only about 3,500 hours.
In light of the investigation, Huss has ordered the temporary closure of its 40 Rainbow amusement rides throughout the world.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Interesting... not to sure about the 40 number... there surely isnt that many, id say maybe close to 10-20 maybe
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Apparently Strates has been sold even though it doesn't say so on the usedrides website
ledgema

Re: Rainbow Ride Collapses At Liseberg! BREAKING NEWS!

Post by ledgema »

Maybe not related but I found some very interesting information regarding retrofits and other safety upgrades for the Rainbow from Huss. http://www.ltci.co.uk/LTC_Technical_Bul ... AINBOW.pdf
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Has anything ever been formally released on the cause? was a cracked driveshaft I recall, but were HUSS liable for it?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Thats what it was believed to have happened... HUSS have obviously modified this design in some way, especially if LINNANMAKI and KLINKERFUSS are both operating their Rainbow's, I'd also believe that ELITCH GARDENS are operating theirs too.

Hopefully just hopefully O'NEILLS have had work done on the shaft....